Propane 101 - an excellent article for laymen & Rvers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We tow a 2004 Alumascape TT (Holiday Rambler).  We have NEVER traveled with the refrigerator running.  In fact, we turn off the propane at the tanks.  We've been on the road for 12+ hours in hot weather and items in the freezer are still frozen and still cold in the fridge (and I'm a stickler for a cold beer after a long drive ;).  This might seem like overkill but it eliminates having to turn off the propane during fueling and gives us peace of mind on the road.

Phil & Karen

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I came across a really excellent article on propane basics as they apply to RVs and written in layman's terms.  It covers all the practical aspects of propane valves, differences in fixed ASME tanks vs DOT portable cylinders, fire safety, and such without a lot of technobabble. Written by Derek Gore, aka RV Roadie, I highly recommend it to all RVers.

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id44.html

Hello Gary. This link is no longer working. Would you happen to have a copy of the information? I just joined the forum after buying a 1990s slide in Sunlite Skyhawk for my small pickup. The Dometic RM2190 fridge works on electric but both the furnace pilot and the fridge pilot light and do not stay lit, which makes me wonder if the propane line has a leak. I'd like to learn more about troubleshooting propane appliances and came across your post. Thanks!
P.S. Am I going to have to ID the funny letters and take an intelligence test every time I post on this forum? I'm up for the IQ/citizens test (though it gets tedious), but I have trouble with the funny letters every time.

Welcome to the forum. After 4 or 5 posts, the questions go away.
I just tried the link and it did not work for me either. Either Gary or our forum moderator Tom may be able to fix it.

sharidue said:
P.S. Am I going to have to ID the funny letters and take an intelligence test every time I post on this forum? I'm up for the IQ/citizens test (though it gets tedious), but I have trouble with the funny letters every time.
Welcome to the Fourm.

The test is a anti-spam test. After you make I think 5 posts it will no longer make you take the test.

Sorry - Derek Gore's RV Roadie website seems to be gone and I don't have a copy (it was an entire website, not just a page or two).  He was active on IRV2.com up til February, so I will try to contact him there and learn what happened and if there is a another way to view the info.

I heard from Derek Gore last night and he is in the process of moving his RVRoadie.com site to a new server.  No definite date for it to go live again - anywhere from a week to a month or so.  I'm hoping he will remember to notify me when it happens so I can update the link in this topic.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I heard from Derek Gore last night and he is in the process of moving his RVRoadie.com site to a new server.  No definite date for it to go live again - anywhere from a week to a month or so.  I'm hoping he will remember to notify me when it happens so I can update the link in this topic.

In the meantime, I modified the link in the original post to use the Wayback Machine archive copy NY Dutch found.  We can change it to the new site when Derek gets it up and running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom