Propane leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom,

If the tank is empty, putting soap bubbles on the propane connections won't reveal any leaks.  :eek:
You're going to have to put SOME gas in it to discover where it all leaked out!  ;D ;D

Be careful, it's a dangerous system.  No smoking dude.  ;)

Ron

During my twenties I lived in So Cal. and came here for the deer hunt each year. I discovered the same thing and it hasn't changed over the years.>>>Dan

During my twenties I lived in So Cal. and came here for the deer hunt each year. I discovered the same thing and it hasn't changed over the years.>>>Dan

So Dan, when you came there to hunt, which variety were you hunting for, the two-legged or the four-legged or both?  ;D

In those days what ever jumped in front of me had best be V V E E R R Y Y careful.>>>Dan  ( Married one 48 years ago and haven't been hunting since) ;D

I'm confused-isolate the tank, isolate the propane appliances. If you don't want to use propane for a leak check use air or nitrogen at about 2-5 psi. Lots of good advice here. BTW did you figure it out?? Oh, BTW-if you have the doo hickey, you can hook up an outside tank and save a little gas. It will fill till it equalizes, but at least save something.

mdbass said:
I'm confused-isolate the tank, isolate the propane appliances. If you don't want to use propane for a leak check use air or nitrogen at about 2-5 psi. Lots of good advice here. BTW did you figure it out?? Oh, BTW-if you have the doo hickey, you can hook up an outside tank and save a little gas. It will fill till it equalizes, but at least save something.

I am waiting for payday before I attack the problem. I get paid tomorrow so I will work on it this weekend. The problem is not the propane appliances. The smell is only noticeable when I am standing right next to the tank outside. I have never smelled any propane on the inside.

seilerbird said:
I am waiting for payday before I attack the problem. I get paid tomorrow so I will work on it this weekend. The problem is not the propane appliances. The smell is only noticeable when I am standing right next to the tank outside. I have never smelled any propane on the inside.
Wow-sure sounds like a valve!

That's what I was thinking however someone mentioned a leak at a weld and my tank has a bunch of welds. I don't know how common of a problem that is but I am going to get some soap bubbles and check it out.

Take it to an rv dealer.  They have detectors that can find a leak that soapy water cant find.  Also, if they have to drain the tank, it cant be drained in the environment and they will know how to do that.  I cant imagine it would take them more than 10 mins to find it, or you can buy a propane leak detector on ebay for about $30.00 and do it yourself.  One thing for sure, you want to find the leak before you blow up.

clydedoerr said:
Take it to an rv dealer.  They have detectors that can find a leak that soapy water cant find.  Also, if they have to drain the tank, it cant be drained in the environment and they will know how to do that.  I cant imagine it would take them more than 10 mins to find it, or you can buy a propane leak detector on ebay for about $30.00 and do it yourself.  One thing for sure, you want to find the leak before you blow up.

Perhaps you didn't read the my original post:

I called Camping World in Salt Lake City to make an appointment and the service manager didn't seem to think they could find it, but assured me that if they couldn't find it they would send it to some place that could. That sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I am not paying them $100 an hour to see if they can find the leak.

utahclaimjumper said:
Many times a small leak in a weld can be successfully plugged with a hammer and punch.>>>Dan :)
Not to correct you; but use a brass drift to avoid sparks when banging around on any flammable tank!

Tom, did you ever get your leak fixed?  I am smelling propane sometimes while standing beside my tank.  I have leak tested everything I can and found no problems.  I am beginning to think I am smelling it from the regulator vent.  I wonder if that is normal or if I should consider replacing the vent.  If so, where would be a good place to order one and what pressure setting should I set it to?

We haven't seen Tom S for over a week. Methinks he's waiting for the WD40 discussion to die down  ;D

No, he's busy getting his mountain driving techniques sharpened up. ;)
J

Or, more likely, waiting for the condor to nest.

Mountain driving techniques.... You just killed me with that one.  You guys should be ashamed :)

Back
Top Bottom