Propane Level Gauge - Accurate ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi

We know how black and grey tank gauges can often be wrong, but what about Propane ?

TBH we didnt give it any thought whilst we were touring the US, but since getting back to the UK it seems strange.

We collected the RV on April 26th and filled the Propane tank, which lasted just about a month.

We next filled-up at the end of May and, 2 months later, it is STILL showing Full on the gauge.

We use it to quickly warm up the RV first thing in the morning, and then for cooking (nothing has really changed since we got back in April - the weather is just as bad  :eek:).

I just cant see how this tank is lasting so long (or the last tank emptied so quickly).

Paul

PS We are now turning the gas on just to try and get the gauge to go down  ;D ;D

:) Hi Paul (UK-RV). Our LPG tanks have always lasted us between 12 and 14 weeks between fill ups. Winter or Summer. Depends on use of Heating/Cooking.  ;)

The inside lamp style gauges are not very accurate.  Use the dial gauge on the tank for reading.  It's quite accurate.  Unless you're running the furnace a lot, the propane will last quite a while.  We fill up about once or twice a year, depending on how cold the winter is in AZ, and those are not full fills, typically only half a tank is needed.

Thanks Guys

Use the dial gauge on the tank for reading.

I wouldn't know where to find it Ned.

If the internal sensor panel doesn't go down this week, I'll have to get Ann-Marie to climb under the RV as those are her jobs - I'm not built for climbing under things.  ;D

Paul

Paul,

If your tank has a dial gauge, you should see it right next to where they hook up the propane hose when you refill the tank. Shouldn't be any need for climbing under the coach.

Thanks Tom - we probably havent got a guage then.

Maybe still worth sending Ann-Marie under there though - she can do an inspection for rust.  ;D

Paul

Tom said:
Paul,

If your tank has a dial gauge, you should see it right next to where they hook up the propane hose when you refill the tank. Shouldn't be any need for climbing under the coach.

:) Unless the tank is fitted amidships with an external fill up point.  ;)

JohnSandyWhite said:
Unless the tank is fitted amidships with an external fill up point.

I must have led a sheltered (RV) life John because, other than the front-mounted tanks on many trailers, I didn't realize propane tanks and fills were mounted elsewhere  :-[

I guess it's time for Ann-Marie to break out her boiler suit and crawl under the coach  :(

Paul is a man after my own heart; I've often shoved my other half into nooks and cranies where I don't fit on the coach and the boat.

Paul,
I don't think Ann-Marie will have to crawl.  One of your compartment doors should open onto the propane tank (and it should be marked as such on the outside) and you should see a small gauge right there in plain view.  Note that it probably has two sets of numbers, one above the other. The outer set shows the tank's water capacity, which is what it could hold if filled with water. It holds only 80% of that value in propane and that's what the inner set of numbers represent.  In other words, your tank is FULL of propane if the pointer to the outer (and larger) set of numbers says 75-80% (or 3/4 tank).

Hey Karl, we gotta do what we gotta do. Chris has free board and lodge, so there's nowt for her to complain about  ;D

Karl  when I make statements like it results in lumps on the noggin.

I've often shoved my other half into nooks and cranies where I don't fit on the coach and the boat.
And in your case, Shayne, well deserved! :D

Unless the sensor is one of the newer electronic ones, it's mechanical and MUST be mounted right on the tank; not at some remote location. It has a float that rides on the surface of the liquid and moves the gauge accordingly.

??? We have come accross the same problems, I realize they are only filled to a certain level about 3/4. I believe the tank on our Fleetwoood Storm is a 30lb tank. we spent time in Massachusetts at Thanksgiving and when I got home the tank registered empty in a panic I had my gas company fill the tank before we go to Florida so it wont run out it took 14 gallons. How can we get a more accurate readind so we can tell when the gas really runs out.

Thanks,

Gary & Eileen

Propane tanks, by law, can only be filled to 80% of their capacity.  The float type gauges are usually pretty accurate.  Are you sure it's not a 30 gal. tank?  That's a standard size for motorhomes.  Ours is stated as 30 gal. but that's at the 80% full mark, it's actually about 37.5 gal. total.  The float gauge on the tank works well and when it gets below half tank, I start to look for a fillup.

Well. you don't have a 30 lb tank if it took 14 gallons - that's about 60 lbs of propane!  A 30 lb tank is a vertical standing, portable tank, sort of like a tall BBQ grill tank, and is seldom used in motorhomes.  You more likely have a horizontal mount, permanent tank with a capacity of 24-30 gallons, depending on make and model of motorhome.  The official tank rating is given in terms of water capacity and the propane capacity [in gallons] is 80% of that.

The gauge mounted on the tank itself typically has two scales, one slightly below the other on the face of the gauge.  One is based on the water capacity and the other is based on the 80% capacity when the tank is used for propane. Look closely at yours to see if it has the 2nd set of numbers. It should be pretty accurate if you look at those.

The remote reading gage inside the coach is an electronic measurement taken off the position of the mechanical gauge at the tank. The remote is seldom very accurate, so just use it as a reminder. If it looks low, go check the mechanical gauge at the tank.

I meant 30 Gallons, I'll check the guage again but I'm really not happy with the way it registers.

G&E

If you are talking about the electric one in the RV, you can reset it.  There should be a little hole and a screw in there.  The screw is really an adjustable resistor.  Fill the tank and get your 80% and then turn the screw while watching the indicator till the 3/4 light just comes on.  Stop and your inside gauge will be fairly accurate and when it reads empty, you will be almost there!!

Turn the screw slowly and gently!!!!!

Try it, I think it should work better for you.

Back
Top Bottom