Propane pressures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunrisor

Hello all, I have a question. It might be in here somewhere, I just couldn't find it. So I am hoping for some help.
We have a Coleman Hyperflame model 5497. Our '22 Keystone Outback TT has a propane quick-connect outside for a propane stove. However, I am unable to get it to light.
I just read (in another thread) that having 2 regulators inline will not work. So, my question is:
If I run an unregulated line directly to my stove, will it work? I was told, the regulated pressure in my TT is 0.5 psi, and may not be enough for this model stove.
Is there hope? Or did we waste our money on this stove.
Thanks for your help.

Can I assume your outside propane stove has it's own regulator? If so, can you bypass it?

How are you plumbing this in? The online manual shows the stove runs from a 1lb cylinder. Adapters like the extend a stay units are on the tank side of the on board regulator, but not sure what your trailer has. If it's post-regulator then you need to come up with a different stove feed/regulator (do they exist for these portable stoves?).

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The TT has 2 50 lbs tanks with (I would think) a standard diverter valve/regulator. It's plumbed underneath to the furnace, tankless water heater, and the range. Then there is a quick connect that comes just underneath the outside wall. I don't know what pressure it's regulated down to.
The stove has a 15psi regulator to a Coleman proprietary fitting. I bought a hose that has a quick connect on one end (to the TT) and male end that screws into the regulator.
This configuration doesn't work. I thought the regulator that came with the stove was broken, so I tried a new one, but still doesn't work. There seems to be no flow from at the stove at all. A friend had a 1 lbs bottle that I attached, and it has flow, but nothing when connected to the TT system.
I hope this answers your questions. Someone told me that the TT regulated pressure is not enough to operate the stove. I would like to put an unregulated hose to the stove. Am I spitting in the wind? Should I just tap directly off the tanks?

I am guessing anything with a screw on bottle has a regulator built in as the bottles are probably way higher than regulated TT propane.

If you can tee in to the unregulated side of the TT propane you might get it to work but I am not expert enough to know what the TT unregulated pressure is and it may be too high for the stove's regulator.

The tap off in your TT may work but I am sure it is regulated to what ever everything else in the TT is getting - this would likely work if you removed the regulator in the camp stove.

I was told, the regulated pressure in my TT is 0.5 psi, and may not be enough for this model stove.
The LP regulator is adjusted to supply 11 inches of water column which is about 0.36 - 0.40 psi.
If I run an unregulated line directly to my stove, will it work?
If you were to connect the unregulated LP supply to the Coleman regulator, that would work. You should also be able to to remove the regulator from the Coleman and use the regulated LP supply that you have on your trailer. As I look at the operator's manual for your Coleman, it seems that it was designed to be supplied from the small, disposable propane bottles and not from a hose from your travel trailer. I think that you need a different model if you want to connect it to the trailer. The 5497 would need to be modified and that would definitely void any warranty and might be a safety issue. I'm not sure what pressure the disposable bottles supply.

The LP regulator is adjusted to supply 11 inches of water column which is about 0.36 - 0.40 psi.

If you were to connect the unregulated LP supply to the Coleman regulator, that would work. You should also be able to to remove the regulator from the Coleman and use the regulated LP supply that you have on your trailer. As I look at the operator's manual for your Coleman, it seems that it was designed to be supplied from the small, disposable propane bottles and not from a hose from your travel trailer. I think that you need a different model if you want to connect it to the trailer. The 5497 would need to be modified and that would definitely void any warranty and might be a safety issue. I'm not sure what pressure the disposable bottles supply.
I'm pretty sure the 1-lb bottles hold the same pressure as a 20-lb tank.

There is a hose that can connect from a 20 lbs tank, to devices that use a small bottle. I did that with a small heater that I use in my garage.

I found the regulator on Amazon: PN 5430.
How did you find the manual? I was all over the Coleman website and they don't even list that model stove. The model we have doesn't have legs, it's tabletop. The regulator cap has a sticker on it that says 15psi. If that's the case, and what I was told is correct, the trailer's regulated pressure is .5 psi (or .40), then I have no choice then to tap into the trailer's tank before the regulator. I don't mind doing that, it's just the convenience of having that port right in the middle of the awning is really nice.

I found a Coleman fitting-to-3/8 flare connector. I think I'm gonna try that first. It's a cheap fix, if it works. If it doesn't I'm only out $10. But from what everyone here is saying, I think I need to tee into the tanks on my trailer.

Yes. Tulecreeper is correcct, you either need a stove without an internal regulator or external one, Is this the setup you have?

If so, he tells you that at 2:25 that you cannot attach it to a regulated system due to double regulation.

With that being said, there are adapters that allow you to connect a hose directly to the stove without using the small 1 lb bottles and adapter. This is done much the same way the Blackstone models are connected (they use a very similar regulator/tube and brass connector for using one lb bottles.

This is the Blackstone adapter

71mLqGFPO6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This MENSI 1/4" Propane Natural Gas Quick Connect Fittings Adapter for Coleman Grill Stove 9921, Leisure Line 2 Burner Stove 5420-300, Fold N Go line (1/4" Quick Connect Fitting) is most likely the correct one. The OTHER Coleman connector is rather specific to the Roadtrip LXE grill.

61fLpND7D0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

To connect to this from your RV's low pressure connector you will need a 12 to 20 ft hose such as THIS 12 ft one or THIS 20 ft one. You want a hose with male and female ends so that if you decide to get a propane fire pit, or a propane "tree" for distribution to several pieces of equipment, you can easily connect to it. You don't need or want a hose dedicated to just one piece of LP equipment.

81dLZa0vgxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Absolutely no need to tee into the tanks at all with this setup, you have the low pressure fitting on the trailer already.

Charles

Last edited:
Yes. Tulecreeper is correcct, you either need a stove without an internal regulator or external one, Is this the setup you have?

If so, he tells you that at 2:25 that you cannot attach it to a regulated system due to double regulation.

With that being said, there are adapters that allow you to connect a hose directly to the stove without using the small 1 lb bottles and adapter. This is done much the same way the Blackstone models are connected (they use a very similar regulator/tube and brass connector for using one lb bottles.

This MENSI 1/4" Propane Natural Gas Quick Connect Fittings Adapter for Coleman Grill Stove 9921, Leisure Line 2 Burner Stove 5420-300, Fold N Go line (1/4" Quick Connect Fitting) is most likely the correct one. The OTHER Coleman connector is rather specific to the Roadtrip LXE grill.

61fLpND7D0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

To connect to this from your RV's low pressure connector you will need a 12 to 20 ft hose such as THIS 12 ft one or THIS 20 ft one. You want a hose with male and female ends so that if you decide to get a propane fire pit, or a propane "tree" for distribution to several pieces of equipment, you can easily connect to it. You don't need or want a hose dedicated to just one piece of LP equipment.

81dLZa0vgxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Absolutely no need to tee into the tanks at all with this setup, you have the low pressure fitting on the trailer already.

Charles
Yes. That is the model I have. I was thinking of trying something similar:
61zi+NJzG7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
The hose I have now, has a fitting that screws into the regulator. I'm going to that one off, and put this one on. Then try it.
Geez...this is nuts!! Why can't they ever make things simple. Or at least explain it before you buy it.
Thanks for everyone's help! I love this forum!!!

The adapter you show is most likely for the Roadtrip grill and I doubt it will fit. Note the odd knurling on it, which is indicative of the Roadtrip adapters. The Blackstone one have a fine knurling, and the Coleman one I suspect is correct has the fine knurling but with a groove cut around it. (yes, there is a method to the Chinese' madness). I have the Roadtrip connector and it is somewhat larger than the Blackstone's.

The hose I have now, has a fitting that screws into the regulator. I'm going to that one off, and put this one on. Then try it.

It sounds like you have THIS hose, which by replacing the end, will work.

712dqQ+7meL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Charles

Last edited:

I agree - between 2:00 and 2:30 he talks about and shows the regulator for the stove which is a separate piece. If you could plug the "regulated" TT propane into the stove without the external regulator of the stove, I am thinking it would work.

I agree - between 2:00 and 2:30 he talks about and shows the regulator for the stove which is a separate piece. If you could plug the "regulated" TT propane into the stove without the external regulator of the stove, I am thinking it would work.
Except further up he says the stove's regulator puts out 15 PSI. That's quite a bit higher than the 0.4 PSI pressure on the output side of an RV regulator.

The adapter you show is most likely for the Roadtrip grill and I doubt it will fit. Note the odd knurling on it, which is indicative of the Roadtrip adapters. The Blackstone one have a fine knurling, and the Coleman one I suspect is correct has the fine knurling but with a groove cut around it. (yes, there is a method to the Chinese' madness). I have the Roadtrip connector and it is somewhat larger than the Blackstone's.

It sounds like you have THIS hose, which by replacing the end, will work.

712dqQ+7meL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Charles
Yes! exactly.

Except further up he says the stove's regulator puts out 15 PSI. That's quite a bit higher than the 0.4 PSI pressure on the output side of an RV regulator.
Yes, I agree with this too. But, I think the fitting swap is an easy thing to try. If it doesn't work, I'm only out 10 bucks. Then, my choices are: carry another tank with me, tap into the trailer's tanks before the regulator, or buy a new stove. I'd rather avoid the last one if possible. o_O
...btw...a friend hooked his Coleman Roadtrip to my trailer and it lit up ok. Not sure if this means anything....without a regulator.

Then, my choices are: carry another tank with me, tap into the trailer's tanks before the regulator, or buy a new stove.
Exactly.
I found the handiest solution was to carry a 5# or 10# tank. They are small enough and light enough to be convenient to store & move, yet allowed me to put my grill anywhere on the campsite without a hose strung across the ground. I found a 5# tank was a good compromise between capacity and convenience, but 3# and 10# may suit your needs better.

Here's a gas hose that connects to a external tank on one end and screws into the stove port at the other end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveGraham
Back
Top Bottom