Propane restrictions in tunnels ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TumbleOak

I have heard there are some tunnels that we can't drive through with our trailers due to the propane on board. Next week I will be driving from Missouri to Maine stopping to see a fried in NJ. Does anyone know of any highways or routes that I must avoid ? My tentative route is 70 to 78 to 287 into Jersey. Then Northeast from there working my way up to 95. Anyone familiar with this area ? Any recommendations on avoided congested routes are also appreciated.  This is my first major trip.  We did a practice trip in state last month to see if everything worked, it did.  I am pulling a 28' 5th wheel.

Some tunnels may require you to shut off the propane at the tank valve. A very few will prohibit propane altogether, e.g. the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. I don't recall any tunnels on your route - I95 crosses the Hudson on a bridge.  Hopefully somebody who has been that way more recently than I (10 years ago?) will offer some up to date advice.

Where 70 combines with 76 in Pennsylvania, you'll be on the PA Turpike which has tunnels west of Harrisburg, PA.  I know I can go through their tunnel on the northeast extension with my small class C. You might want to check their website.

287 will take you acrooss the Tappen Zee Bridge, no problem, no tunnels.  On up to Maine no tunnels on 95 to 495.  Or go across on 90 to the higher area of 95, again no tunnels.

I will add my two cents here. I would avoid I-95 through NY and CT. In it's place I would suggest a) cross the Hudson using the Tappan Zee (i-287) connect to I-684 then I-84 up to I-90 (Mass Pike) connect to I-495 to I-95. b) Go up the NY Thruway i-87 to the connector to the Mass Pike (I-90) and travel it to I-495 as above.

Nelson

I agree with Nelson. Avoid I95 in NY & CT! A better route, IMHO, would be 78 to 81 to 84. Follow 84 to 691 in CT. Take 691 to 91. From there you can continue through Hartford to 90 in MA or take 84 again just east of Hartford and follow it to Sturbridge where you can get on 90.

N Smock said:
I will add my two cents here. I would avoid I-95 through NY and CT. In it's place I would suggest a) cross the Hudson using the Tappan Zee (i-287) connect to I-684 then I-84 up to I-90 (Mass Pike) connect to I-495 to I-95. b) Go up the NY Thruway i-87 to the connector to the Mass Pike (I-90) and travel it to I-495 as above.

Nelson

I was looking at my old map last night and this was the route that appeared best.  Good to see you agree.  My pit-stop is in Pompton Lakes, NJ to see an old friend.  lol, i told him to think of cousin Eddie visiting in the movie Christmas Vacation.
I am planning on 2 1/2 easy days to get to NJ, then 1 long day to get to Bangor and meet up with my wife. 
We'll be spending the summer in Bangor.  This is her first travel nurse assignment.  I still wonder about what I will be doing all summer ?

Bangor is a big tourist area so I suspect the campground could use help and there are other businesses that could use help.  There should be some good fishing in thearea too.  G

In Bangor I like Pleasant Hill CG on Union St.  I also understand that Pumpkin Patch CG is good.
For restaurants: Capt. Nicks on Union St and the Pilots Grill (next to the airport and a little more expensive.)
Bangor is not too far from the Maine coast and many good lobster and seafood shacks.
The Anglers Restaurant in Searsport is reasonable and good.
    Good luck,            S. Sheinkopf ,  Burtonsville, MD

Thanks for all the help, it worked out real good.  Did I get taken at the Tappen Z ?  They charged me 20 bucks to cross the bridge with my pickup and 5th wheel.

We've been busy seeing the area.  Just got "home" from a week in Camden, ME.....very pretty coastal town.  Next week we are headed North to Nova Scotia. 

My wife wanted to dine at Captain nicks, it is about 1/2 mile from our apt.  It was our first meal up here.  The bread was good and the strawberry short cake was awesome but the meal was bad. 

I may yet go to one of the campgrounds around here looking for some busy work.  More likely I will look for work at a marina. 

Thing I have learned in Maine so far:
Folks pass on the shoulder of 2 lane roads.
Folks will pull right our in front of you here more than anywhere I have seen.
Lobster buoys are thick in the ocean.
Folks here like lobster roll.
Folks here like whoopie pies.
Everything here is wicked.

Barry

If you take an RV on any toll road/bridge in NY state, you got taken to the cleaners. The tolls on RVs are outrageous!

Tolls are based on "axles on the ground" and vehicle height (over/under 7'6"), so you were in a fairly high toll class, probably 4H. The Tappan Zee toll would be anywhere from $11.25-$22.50, depending on time of day (lower rates for off-peak use), so $20 sounds like it is about right for a day crossing. Note that tolls are collected in one direction only, so the $20 is a round trip price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny001tx
Back
Top Bottom