Propane stoves/grills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taddeo1

Getting ready for first big trip. Our TT is set up with a gas line from propane tank's high pressure regulator to the back of our unit with a quick connect to place a stove. I am aware that most/all stoves have a regulator that steps down pressure, so if we use one of those with our system, there will not be enough pressure at the stove. Can ALL new propane stoves/grills be easily modified to bypass (or other means) its regulator and allow proper pressures? Any suggestions on best practices, reference info, etc? thanks

Do you know the stove's PSI gas requirements? A stove regulator limits the pressure to what is required by the stove. Most gas grill regulators are set to small bottle pressure which is 1.7 - 2.5 psi. Most TT regulators are 10+ psi for the high BTU furnaces. You don't want 10 psi at the stove if you value your eyebrows. That being said my last trailer had an external port that stepped down the pressure. If it was set to 2.5 a second stove regulator would not cut that pressure down any further than 2.5.

Haven't purchased one yet; trying to do the necessary research so I don't waste a purchase or time MacGyvering later. I'll try to check tank regulator connections, trailer appliances, and/or measure the pressures at hose end to see. thanks

Am I missing something here or is "TheBar" mistaken? A TT uses a two-stage propane regulator. The first stage drops the gas pressure from the propane cylinder to about 10 PSI. The second stage of the regulator drops the pressure to 11 to 14" water column...which is about 0.4 PSI...less than 1/2 PSI.

I am guessing here but I would say that if you take the pressure off for the stove aftr thee propane cylinder but before the TT regulator then you need to use the stove regulator. If you take the low gas pressure coming out of the regulator you would likely need to eliminate the stove regulator.

I have not done this so if I am wrong or off subject let me know

Most TT regulators are 10+ psi for the high BTU furnaces.
That is not true! The typical RV propane pressure regulator is set to supply 11" of water column to the inlet of the appliances, which is what all of them are designed to use. 11" of water column is 0.397003 psi.

Our TT is set up with a gas line from propane tank's high pressure regulator to the back of our unit with a quick connect to place a stove.
Most RVs come with only 1 propane pressure regulator and it supplies 11" of water column to the appliances and that is probably what your disconnect is getting. I have never heard of a "high pressure regulator" being standard in any RV and I don't know what pressure it would supply if there was one. I'm thinking that you have the same supply pressure as all RVs have. If so you probably do not need any pressure regulator between the quick connect and the device that you purchase. There are grills that are designed for use connected to an RV propane system such as this Flame King and other similar products.

As others have stated, the standard pressure for LP appliances is roughly 0.4 psi (11 WC inches of pressure). Your RVs regulator is designed to produce that pressure for all the onboard appliances, including the furnace.

Free-standing gas grills come in two types, those with a built-in regulator and those without. Generally, gas grills designed to accommodate the small 1 lb, disposable gas bottles have their own regulator, while those designed for larger separate LP tanks require a regulator at the tank. Most tabletop grills are the type that use the small bottles and thus have their own regulator.

If you want to use a self-regulating grill, add a Tee between the RVs LP tank and the trailer regulator. Something like this one will allow use of an external high-pressure grill or for an external tank to supplement the RV's own tanks.
If you buy a grill that expects to receive already-regulated pressure, place a Tee after the RVs own regulator and share that pressure with the grill.

Last edited:
As others have stated, the standard pressure for LP appliances is roughly 0.4 psi (11 WC inches of pressure). Your RVs regulator is designed to produce that pressure for all the onboard appliances, including the furnace.

Free-standing gas grills come in two types, those with a built-in regulator and those without. Generally, gas grills designed to accommodate the small 1 lb, disposable gas bottles have their own regulator
True, and the thing you screw the 1# bottle into is the actual regulator itself.
, while those designed for larger separate LP tanks require a regulator at the tank. Most tabletop grills are the type that use the small bottles and thus have their own regulator.

If you want to use a self-regulating grill, add a Tee between the RVs LP tank and the trailer regulator. Something like this one will allow use of an external high-pressure grill or for an external tank to supplement the RV's own tanks.
If you buy a grill that expects to receive already-regulated pressure, place a Tee after the RVs own regulator and share that pressure with the grill.
Not so for the two gas grills I have, Gary. Both of them are fed off of a 20# tank and the line from the grill to the tank has an in-line regulator.

Getting ready for first big trip. Our TT is set up with a gas line from propane tank's high pressure regulator to the back of our unit with a quick connect to place a stove. I am aware that most/all stoves have a regulator that steps down pressure, so if we use one of those with our system, there will not be enough pressure at the stove. Can ALL new propane stoves/grills be easily modified to bypass (or other means) its regulator and allow proper pressures? Any suggestions on best practices, reference info, etc? thanks
Not sure what you are looking for, but my travel buddy gave up on the Blackstone GRIDDLE and bought a stove made by Camp Chef, specifically the Yukon 14. While the pic shows a 20 lb cylinder and regulator and hose, it is connected with a 3/8 flare fitting so you can easily add a Low pressure LP nipple in place of the existing hose and regulator, and then a male/female low pressure LP hose and you are set.

Note that the fittings are specifically for low pressure propane, they are not typical compressed air fittings. The hoses are designed for low pressure also, though you can buy high pressure ones if needed.

The Camp Chef is a well designed stove with large burners that are cast metal and big enough to distribute the heat evenly. Steve also bought the one burner griddle to go with it. Our only complaint is the lack of leg adjustment for leveling. I still carry the Blackstone but we have only used it once or twice, the 17 inch does not distribute heat evenly at all.

Charles
yk60lw_1__3.jpg

61aBRnv2GlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71U40KvNBIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This LP gas serviceman's manual contains everything for householdl LP systems. It's easily adapted to trailers and RV use.
This is an excellent LP tutorial using slides.

That is not true! The typical RV propane pressure regulator is set to supply 11" of water column to the inlet of the appliances, which is what all of them are designed to use. 11" of water column is 0.397003 psi.
Sorry if that was wrong but I got that info off another forum here. When I used an outside stove connected to the trailer's outside propane outlet it sure felt more like 10 psi than .4 when disconnecting the hose. More like releasing a tire valve than a gentle breeze.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom