Property Tax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClickHill

We purchased a 2015 Itasca a few months ago and I just received our first property tax bill and it will be $3,400 per year - I find that to be unreasonable, its over $9.00 per day.  We live in Virginia and have heard of services through where I can register the MH in TX or MT and pay almost no property tax.  I don't mind paying my fair share but $9.00 per day to own a MH isn't fair.  I won't do anything illegal, so with that in mind does anybody know any "legal"  way to do this?

Here's something to read on the subject:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-i-avoid-state-sales-tax-using-montana-llc.html

Come to California and pay 8,600 per year for a house on a lot < a third of an acre.

Scott,

Thank you for the article, the MT LLC was one thing I had found on my own just surfing the web and with that article that's out.  As everyone else is saying the tax on my MH in VA is over twice what I pay for my entire farm - 3500 sq ft home, 4000 sq ft barn on 20 acres - $1400 per year tax compared to 1 35' MH which is $3400 per year, its just crazy.

Call your local tax assessor and ask some questions.  It may be a mistake which they can fix.  Maybe the purchase price was entered incorrectly or it was not properly listed - commercial property instead of RV.  At that price, the worst they can say is no, that is correct.  I doubt that will happen.  Just call for information. 

I am going down to the tax office tomorrow but what I have found so far is that it is taxed at the personal property tax rate for a vehicle which is $3.80 per $100, if it were taxed as a home such as my home or a single wide trailer it would only be $0.82 per $100.  I am going to argue that my MH should be assessed as a home since the Federal Govt off sets my annual tax bill for the interest paid a second home but from everything I've read on-line it is what it is and we my actually sell it because we are not willing to pay over $9.00 per day in taxes just to own it.

Talk about GOVT overreach, what do I get for those extreme taxes?

ClickHill said:
I am going down to the tax office tomorrow but what I have found so far is that it is taxed at the personal property tax rate for a vehicle which is $3.80 per $100, if it were taxed as a home such as my home or a single wide trailer it would only be $0.82 per $100.  I am going to argue that my MH should be assessed as a home since the Federal Govt off sets my annual tax bill for the interest paid a second home but from everything I've read on-line it is what it is and we my actually sell it because we are not willing to pay over $9.00 per day in taxes just to own it.

These taxes are deductible, which will reduce the burden somewhat

Small Cape Cod house, two detached garages, 10x23 shed, on 1/2 acre < $700/year here in lower Delaware.

ClickHill said:
We purchased a 2015 Itasca a few months ago and I just received our first property tax bill and it will be $3,400 per year - I find that to be unreasonable, its over $9.00 per day.  We live in Virginia and have heard of services through where I can register the MH in TX or MT and pay almost no property tax.  I don't mind paying my fair share but $9.00 per day to own a MH isn't fair.  I won't do anything illegal, so with that in mind does anybody know any "legal"  way to do this?

Establish residency in another state. 

Stay away from States with taxes on personal property.  Everyone says taxes are high in New York State but I have found they are pretty reasonable.  Yes, I pay property taxes on my home and land but my RV, both cars, both motorcycles, and my trailer are just a small annual Motor Vehicle reregistration fee.  There are no taxes on personal property in New York.

The monthly tax bill in Cook Cty. IL is than I paid for my first house...  Add to that the 10.5.% sales tax any you'll understand why people and business are moving out quickly.

I did the same research on the MT LLC when we bought our coach and found the risk / return wasn't enough to take the chance.  I then talked to the IL BMV / Secretary of State's office.  They informed me that I could title the coach in the state where it was domiciled (not necessarily where my residence was).  The location where we planned to store our coach was just over WI border.  A couple quick calls to the WI BMV to confirm what I'd been told in IL, and we found it perfectly legal to title the coach in WI.  And, with WI title come WI sales tax rates!  We dropped from 10.5% to 4.75%. 

Long way of saying, if you live near a state border, you might check if it would be advantageous to park the coach in another state. 

Talk to your state legislature about the taxes and how the state spends your money, but they've probably heard it all before. It's tough to get much sympathy when you are asking for a tax reduction on a very expensive and almost new second home.  Most states give a tax break of some sort for a primary residence, but even a second fixed site home generally pays a higher rate.

The Virginia tax rate also varies by county, so consider keeping the motorhome in a different county and registering it there. I've heard that Prince William County does not levy the property tax on motorhomes, but do not know that for a fact.

I believe you will also find the tax declines over time as the value drops (depreciates).

Titling and registering out of state is chancy unless you also keep the RV out of state. If you keep it at home and merely establish out of state paperwork, odds are the state/county will come after you for tax fraud.

OutdoorFT said:
Thats not a fair comparison. CA is horrible to live in.
That is a totally BS comment.  CA is a great place to live.  You only need to open your eyes to see it.

LOL. The desirability & livability of any given place is strictly a matter of personal preference. Where there is a difference of opinion, nobody is likely to convince someone else otherwise.

So let's just "agree to disagree" and get back on topic, OK?

California is great for the weather otherwise, it is horrible for taxes and fees (45% increase in gas tax), Of course, there are situations that make it great all the way around, but I won't go there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom