Pulling a TT 60 years ago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBar

Does anyone remember people used to tow big travel trailers with passenger cars? It was common 60 years ago. When I was a kid my dad pulled a 28 foot Airstream with a 1960 Mercury with a 430 engine and auto transmission. We went on yearly trips for 10 years over all the passes in the mountain states with my dad doing 70 mph with the A/C on and rarely had to downshift except when going down the other side. He did have to downshift on Slumgullion Pass near Creede, CO with its 9% grade. Only overheated 1 time but that was in western Texas when the temp was 109.

Maybe the reason we never ever felt side sway from a semi truck was because my dad had a lead foot and always passed the trucks not the other way around. The trailer did have brakes and it stopped in a reasonable distance. The only time things got scary was when a new Michelin radial tire disintegrated, then another within 50 miles. My dad had all the car tires changed back to bias ply in the next town.

It just amazes me that everyone needs a F450 these days to pull a travel trailer. We know cars have gotten wimpier but have the pickup trucks also? Should we be rebuilding classic cars to pull trailers?

One thing to remember is that cars of that age had a heavy steel frame which helped with the towing capacity and stability. They were big and very heavy.

I wasn?t alive 60 years ago but I was 40.  I think a a couple key things are different.

1 - IBTripping hit on it.  Cars, and trucks, back then weighed a lot more.  The tail was not wagging the dog.  I remember by Grandmothers old Pontiac...I could barely open the door on that thing at age 8 and my 5 year old now can wrench any door open with one hand.
2 - The speed limit, and the speed people pulled at, was much lower.  The speed limit was 55 most places even when I started driving.
3 - The cars and trucks came with bigger gears.  Most cars and trucks I remember from then had at least 4.10 gears.  My first truck (84 Ford) had 4.5X gears.  When I hooked on to something the Earth moved under the truck...not the other way lol.
4 - The biggest I think though was the motors.  I will get flamed by EcoBoosts fans but engines back then we?re large small blocks or big blocks and made good low end power.  These new engines all make more horsepower but nobody ever talks about how you need to be at 4000 rpm to get get it.  The new engines are great for pulling down a flat interstate at 70 mph but suck pulling a heavy load over a pass, pulling a boat out of a muddy pond, or jerking a load out of the mud.  I for one will never drive a truck without a V8 and low gears or diesel as I value useable power.
5 - Everything had solid axels and leaf springs front and back  Say what you want about the ride but you could load up vehicles back then and barely make them squat.

Josh

The trailers were a whole lot lighter back than as well. I had a 24 foot Layton TT that weight just over 4000 lbs and it was considered nicely equipped at the time.  A typical 24 footer nowadays is 6500-7500 lbs.

Speeds were indeed lower and 60 was consider fast;  4-lane highways and interstates were a new thing. Engines were almost all large displacement designs, 5-8 liters and "big blocks" by todays standards. Not much horsepower, but plenty of grunt power. Gas guzzlers as well. And the cars were much heavier and 3600-4000 lb sedans were common, with a strong ladder frame suitable for attaching a hitch receiver.

Far fewer semi-trucks on the highways then as well - they weren't passing you on two-lane highways because they weren't there. Goods moved by train and the distributed locally by smaller trucks.

And then there is the nostalgia factor - we mostly remember only the positive highlights of yesteryear. Everything was beautiful back in the day...  ;D

It was "only" about 35 years ago but I remember my grandparents doing a cross-country trip in their 1983 Caprice Classic pulling a single-axle TT. Started from their house outside Kingston, ON, went west through Canada, came back east through the states to our house in Rome, NY, and then up through Maine, into the Maritimes, and back home. I know he put air shocks on it (went with him to Canadian Tire when he had it done) but other than that it was "stock".

I remember my dads first rv. It was a porky 8' overhead camper mounted on a 65 GMC 3/4 ton pickup which was actualy a heavy half with coil springs and 6 stud wheels. Neither he or the dealer knew any better. It had a 283 rated at 175 hp, the only V-8 available in a truck at the time, 3 speed transmission (dealer advised against the automatic) and no power assist.
Didn't take long to realize the truck was woefully inadequate. Couldn't pass a fat kid on a bicycle in the mountains and downright scary in the prairies with a cross wind. We have come a long way but I agree about modern engines, fuel economy and bragging rights have taken a back seat to real world towing ability which is what we are interested in.

"And the cars were much heavier and 3600-4000 lb sedans were common"

Today's SUVs are that heavy and heavier, even though smaller by dimensions. But as IBTripping pointed out, the weight and strength in those cars was in the longitudinal frame (great for towing), while the weight in today's SUVs is in a unibody structure that's designed to prevent twisting ('60s car frames would twist like crazy over uneven surfaces) and for impact/rollover protection. Not to mention a lot more sound deadening and electrical wiring.

'60s engineering also wasted a lot of metal, adding weight that didn't contribute to strength.

What I was actually pointing out was today's trucks have become more of a commuter vehicle than a truck. They are designed for gas mileage and style instead of work. You need a high end truck now to do the same work a passenger car could do then.

TheBar said:
What I was actually pointing out was today's trucks have become more of a commuter vehicle than a truck. They are designed for gas mileage and style instead of work. You need a high end truck now to do the same work a passenger car could do then.

Trucks used to be work vehicles. Nobody bought a truck as a luxury vehicle. In 1970 I was the market for a truck. I called my cousin in Tampa and asked what I would have to pay for F-100, 4wd, with a 427. It was going to cost me $3500. I had to say no. I?m not even sure you can buy a plain Jane p/u anymore. Remember when you can buy the ?radio, heater, three speed and bench seat? model.

My first truck was a 1991 Chevy S10 - 4 cyl, 2WD, regular cab, short box, 14" wheels, 5 speed, vinyl bench, rubber floor, no radio, no A/C, and no power steering (girlfriend - now the wife - loved that part!). $7,400. Oh, and the "tow package" consisted of a ball mounted on the optional (yes, optional) bumper - I remember a stamping on the bumper rated for 500 lbs tongue and 5,000 lbs trailer. I think it would have pulled the bumper off if I tried to tow that much!

I was born in '42 so I grew up with those old cars. You can have them.  Very weak brakes....small cooling systems....low power/etc/etc compared to todays 1/2 ton trucks...apples vs oranges.
  Not even close for towing duties. Todays 1/2 ton trucks have gvwrs ranging from 6200 with 3200 rawr on up to 8600 gvwr and 6k rawr...6.0 v8 engines with tow packages.

My first pickup was a '58 GMC 258ci 6 cylinder 135 hp pulling trailers and carrying a 6' box slide in camper (no overhead). About 60 with no wind was top speeds.
  My first car was a '51 4 door chevy deluxe 235 ci with a whoppin' 115 hp. It carried 6 people and was scary trying to pass another vehicle. Vacuum operated wind shield wipers in the rain trying to pass another car required stomp the go pedal...let up for a swipe....stomp the pedal to gain a bit then let up/etc/etc. I'm sure some are old enough to remember the fun in passing with that type wipers.

It wan't until the mid '60s  that car mfg came out with higher hp big blocks  with much improved brakes...cooling systems and auto trannies that wouldn't get hot when running hard or towing.

I'll take todays higher capacity 1/2 ton trucks over any of those old behemoths that were lucky to make 80k miles before being wore out. Modern 1/2 ton trucks will easily run 150k miles before small items needs replacing.

Pulled a 22' TT with a 73 Plymouth Fury station wagon,  I think it had a 383, but on one trip, actually first trip with the trailer I was overheating.  Eventually got everything going OK.  Remember the rental trailer hitches that clamped to the steel bumpers?

I still have an all original 1970 Buick estate station wagon with a 455 cu in engine TH400 trains and posi rear.  Modified and mounted my own class 3 Reese reciever, added air bags, and mounted LT tires on the rear. I believe it weighs about 4200 lbs  It yanked a pop up around like it was not even there with 6 of us seated comfortably for a number of years. (2000-2005). Many smiles per mile. I am sure we looked like the Griswolds as it is Seafom green, about the same color as the Truckster.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
And then there is the nostalgia factor - we mostly remember only the positive highlights of yesteryear. Everything was beautiful back in the day...  ;D

Thanks for the hardy laugh. You nailed it!!!

Contrary to the stereotype turbocharged engines often have more low RPM power than larger normally aspirated engines. The Ford 3.5 Ecoboost (which I owned and pulled a trailer with) makes considerably more low RPM power than the 5.0 V8 used in the F150. I had a Fiesta with the 1 liter 3 cylinder turbo engine and it had more power, and at lower turns, than the 1.6 NA engine. The motor had excellent low RPM response and required less downshifting than many larger engines I owned.

Oldgator73 said:
I?m not even sure you can buy a plain Jane p/u anymore. Remember when you can buy the ?radio, heater, three speed and bench seat? model.

Well, automatics and AC are standard but you can get a Ford XL with rubber floor, regular cab, steel wheels, painted bumpers and grill and crank windows. And they're cheap. My brother, a wealthy reverse snob, drives one.

TheBar said:
You need a high end truck now to do the same work a passenger car could do then.

A base model pick up will do all the tasks a high end model will do, other than make you cozy. In fact the most capable F150, that with the heavy duty payload package (over 3000 pounds), is unavailable in high end trim.

irishtom29 said:
In fact the most capable F150, that with the heavy duty payload package (over 3000 pounds), is unavailable in high end trim.
My 1999 Silverado 1500 was an example of the other end of the scale - it was a beautiful truck, fully loaded with all the modern gadgets (and had a Fiberglas cap adding to the weight). As a result, the payload was anemic and the read end would squat with the slightest load. That 5.3 litre pulled our 7,000 lb TT with relative ease but I was undoubtedly overloaded most of the time.

This was my "Hot Rod "Lincoln I bought in distress during the gas crisis for like $2k- I think it was a 76 or 77. 460 cid. Only 202 hp listed but 385 ft/lb torque. What a land yacht. Didn't pull anything with it but it was nice to cruise from LA to Vegas in it...

Had a friends daughter drive his 1977 t'bird off a desert road into the California viaduct at like 70 mph and ended up upside down. Walked outta the wreckage & the viaduct, hitched to a gas station and called dad... 2 tons of iron makes a big difference compared to today's tinfoil cars.

I looked up the F250 specs and found 385hp & 430 ft/lbs.

Not far off on torque... The Lincoln probably got worse mileage though.  Engine technology is light years different today and towing "recommendations" are probably a lot more conservative these days.

Attachments

• Lincoln.JPG
    Lincoln.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 39
In the mid 80?s while stationed at Barksdale AFB I bought a 73 Chrysler Newport. Had less than 50,000 miles on it. It was so huge when we went somewhere in it and the kids acted up I couldn?t reach them from the front seat. I had to pull over, get out and open the back doors to wail on them. My wife rear ended another car and tore the front end up. I had to put new radiator, fender and hood on. The horn was also ruined so since I worked in the Fire Alarm Maintenance shop I borrowed a fire alarm klaxon and used it as a horn. Had to get the car inspected and the guy said he had to take it around the block. When he came back he was grinning from ear to ear. He said when he tried the horn he almost pulled over thinking there was a fire. Had to sell the ?Tank? when we got orders to Japan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom