Purchasing a used Truck questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petaone

I am looking at both Ford and Chevy Crew Cab Diesels. I want a long bed and four wheel drive. What should I be looking for and should I stay away from? What I can afford is around 2000 to 2002 with approximately 100k miles. I  have had a Dodge Cummins but they just recently came out with their Crew Cab and I can not afford that new of a truck.

I'm a Chevy guy so I'll only comment on the Chevy side and leave the Ford comments to someone else.  If you're looking at a Chevy, I would strongly recommend getting a Duramax.  Not only is the engine stronger, but the Allison they put with the Duramax is 10 times the transmission of the 4L80-E they used with the 6.5 diesels.

Fords - 2000 to 2003 7.3L or 2005 and above 6.0L. The 6.0L used in the second half of '03 thru '04 had some serious issues (not all, but a majority did). Around '05, Ford / Internation had some significant changes made to the 6.0L and they seem to be a more reliable engine. My suggestion though is for a '05 and up 6.0L as the transmission (TorqueShift) is hands-down head and shoulders better than 4R100 in the 7.3L when used for towing.

All 3 make good trucks, I just happen to be partial to the King Ranch edition luxury that Dodge and GM can't even come close to matching. I'm an old foggy, and have earned the right to be pampered ....

Larry

Both good trucks, and either would make a good tow vehicle.  The 7.3L Ford is a tried and true engine, great for many many happy miles.  The Allison behind the Duramax is hard to beat.  My personal preference is the Ford...I think it has more room (very slightly) and that's what I'm used to.  But I don't think you would go wrong with either.

I'm with the Ford guys - it's hard to beat the Ford Super Duty trucks for comfort and style.  But for hauling trailers, the GMC/Chevy with the Duramax and Allison can't be topped.

Allison is a division of GM, so Allisons in the Fords and Dodges are not too likely. Not impossible, but unlikely. Workhorse, which bought the RV chassis business from GM has access to the GM parts bin and so uses GM gas engines and Allison transmissions. But for diesels, Workhorse has chosen Cummins, Cat and Imternational but no Duramax. Don't know why - maybe GM can't spare any for external use? Between Chevy & GMC, they are selling a lot of diesel engines and perhaps can't build 'em fast enough?

The Ford crew cab with the long bed is one heckuva big long truck. My son had one for a while in Miami and finally had to sell it because he had trouble finding places to park and/or maneuvering in parking lots. The Ford with the extended cab, which I have, is a much more manageable size for everyday driving as would be the crew cab with short bed. The 08 Fords have a bed extender option.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom