Purina Beneful lawsuit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do
8Muddypaws said:
what does that have to do with the build quality?

What does any of this have to do with a dog food, manufactured in the US, allegedly sickening our dogs?  :eek: 

Bill

Just checked out the suggested site, www.dogfoodadvisor.com. I thought the food I was buying was quality, certainly expensive enough, but only rated at 2.5 stars. Thanks for the heads up.

Well I will admit my complaints are more on stuff coming out of Korea than China (that is personal complaints) but, Well, we often speak here on the forums about WFCO converters and their high failure rate, as compaired to say Progressive Dynamics Intella-Power converters.

So,, what's the difference?  WFCO is made in China,, Progress Dynamics,,, Michigan.

Mikef, since I am a veterinarian I try to base my decisions on tested facts and not on someone personal choices, I have some problems with the "dogfoodadvisor". They did point out some things where one should be aware. However, just because a food has meat byproducts or corn or wheat does not necessary make it a poor dog food. Most major dog and cat food companies have a quality control team that test their products for such things as quality of protein as well as the digestibility of protein, amount of fat, minerals, vitamins and etc. These "Fresh meats" diets have gotten a lot of publicity lately, but many of these diets have also shows to have salmonella in them. So I guess one has to educate himself the best he can and feed what his animal is doing well on.

I have seen several dogs get sick on these treats that are made in China. I strongly advise people to not give their pets these products.

I have mentioned this before but there is a book titled "poorly made in China" it is very enlightening and will answer many of your questions about Chinese manufacture. It is available on Amazon also.

Frank Hurst said:
Mikef, since I am a veterinarian I try to base my decisions on tested facts and not on someone personal choices, I have some problems with the "dogfoodadvisor".

Do you have a few dog food brands you would recommend? Seriously interested.

Our Lab had all sorts of problems with different dog foods. We now feed her, on Vets. recommendation, Natural Balance Duck and Potato. It does not score well at dogfoodadvisor but works well for her. She loves it but then again she is a Lab and they eat about anything if you let them. 

BigSkillet, I believe the best advise would be to read the label and learn how to intrepid what it means.  Example is protein. Shoe leather is protein, but is it digestible protein?  Same thing with fat. Is the fat saturated or unsaturated?  Another thing is wheat and corn. For many years wheat and corn was one of the main source of protein found in dog foods. Since dogs ate wheat and corn all their lives they would often develop allergies to wheat and corn. In the 1970 we would put dogs that were having skin allergies on lamb and rice and these dogs would often do well. There was no magic in lamb and rice. It was just something that dogs had not been exposed to before. Soon many dog food companies began to sell lamb and rice in groceries and Pets Mark...etc and now we are seeing dogs that are developing allergies to lamb and rice. Same thing is true for duck and potatoes.

Another thing to consider is the individual dog. Pregnant, nursing and working dogs need a diet higher in a good quality protein. Large breed puppies need less calcium in their diet. Older dogs need less fat and protein. Older dogs may need more fiber. And of course there are diets for medical conditions: Heart, liver, kidney, urinary, diabetic...etc.

Frank, not to hijack the thread.. But can you rate some of the better cat foods..

Please include Blue (Blue Buffolo)  Science Diet and Purina Naturals as well as any other brands you recommend.

Kind of a 10 best

Feel free to also do a 10 worst.

catblaster said:
I have mentioned this before but there is a book titled "poorly made in China" it is very enlightening and will answer many of your questions about Chinese manufacture. It is available on Amazon also.

I got the book "Poorly Made in China"  from our local library.  Only read a few pages so far but I must say it is very revealing.  Plan to finish it and that's saying something.  Probably havn't read an actual book cover to cover since I got my first computer.

Dan

Our dog, Molly, has Addison's disease. While there is no proof Beneful dog food caused her to have this, I have seen multiple suits against them for issues in dogs revolving around their livers and kidneys. I often wonder if the reason she has this is because I fed her Beneful. Anyway, we switched to Pure Balance, and 5 fruits, and 5 veggies, per our Vet's advice. She can have carrots, asparagus, spinach, sweet potato, and green beans; or watermelon, cantaloupe, blueberries, apples and raspberries. She eats cheerios for treats, our vet recommends them as they do the same thing for dogs that they do for people. We also add fish oil to her food. She is 6 yo now, and is fast approaching her 1 year Addiversary. Her out look with this disease is good, although it is expensive. She takes prednisone every day and has to have subcutaneous shots once a month, about day 28 in the cycle. That stuff, Percorten V is EXPENSIVE! I would never ever recommend Beneful to any dog owner. The suits I've seen and now what my dog has experienced....we almost lost her in her Addison's Crisis.....have clinched it for me. You can see in her picture the shaved part on her foreleg, that's where they had to give her fluids to get her back on track. It's been a long year, but she's got a really good prognosis!! JUST NO BENEFUL!!!

Attachments

• Molls.jpg
    Molls.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom