Putting it out there

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! What a powerful song, Russ. Thank you for sharing that. And I agree with Gizmo that you have a nice voice, but the sound balance sounded about right to me, though I'd not reduce the vocal volume any more.

Wow!

I've been busy since I finished 'Faith' and have put up some new songs.  I think the latest is 'Stop Calling Me'.

Several things led to the creation of this song.  I put new strings on a Takamine classical guitar I've had and neglected for about 35 years.  (It is a very good guitar.).  I started messing around with an altered tuning and found an interesting enharmonic, two strings playing the same note, but the cornerstone of the song is an arpeggio with the two dominate tones being a half step apart.  About that time I got a spam call from someone claiming to be Hilton Hotels.  That gave me the title..... 

Nothing about this song is true.  I married my high school sweetheart and we've been together for 56 years, married for 53.  Nobody except work has ever called me at 2AM.  "Never let the truth get in the way of a story" - Harry Chapin.

Another one I finished a few months ago is "You're The Reason (I Stopped Not Drinking)".
It contains not a shred of truth either.

I took gizmos advice and cranked up the vocals just a bit.  I'm learning new mixing techniques and effect chains.  From YouTube!

https://soundcloud.com/russell-causey/stop-calling-me

https://soundcloud.com/russell-causey/youre-the-reason

There is another one coming in a few days.

8Muddypaws said:
I took gizmos advice and cranked up the vocals just a bit.  I'm learning new mixing techniques and effect chains.  From YouTube!

Makes a difference... You sound good.

8Muddypaws said:
Nothing about this song is true.  I married my high school sweetheart and we've been together for 56 years, married for 53.  Nobody except work has ever called me at 2AM.  "Never let the truth get in the way of a story" - Harry Chapin.

Another one I finished a few months ago is "You're The Reason (I Stopped Not Drinking)".
It contains not a shred of truth either.

The curse of a good song....People just assume it's about you and your life.

I like both of them, But I think you could have a hit on your hands with "You're the Reason".

Great Job

Thanks Gizmo, I'd sell it in a heartbeat to any artist who can sell a million or so copies.  Just have their people contact my people.

Well, it didn't take a few days.  It was closer to done than I thought.

Ron Looney.has been my best friend and bandmate for 35+ years.  If not for He and Jan Looney we probably would not be in RVing today.  Or music.  I met Ron when I signed up for his adult education guitar class.

Ron was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease about 4 years ago, but he had probably had it for years before that.  Ron passed a couple of Sundays back.  A few days later Jan asked me if I could sing something for his life celebration.  I've done many of those things but I know I would never make it.  So instead I wrote and produced this song.  It will be used during a slide show of family and music pictures.  It's called "We Will Sing Again".

https://soundcloud.com/russell-causey/we-will-sing-again

Tom, You met Ron&Jan at RiverPointe Marina.

Beautiful Russ, and a great tribute to your long time friend.

That's special, Russ -- well done.

BTW, I had Mary Ann listen to the other two you posted above (Stop Calling Me and You're The Reason) and when she heard them she said, "Wow, he's good." Thought you'd like to know.

I dropped two new ones this afternoon. The first is a nice relaxing instrumental piece titled 'Every Little Smile'. It is dedicated to my grand niece Olivia. She has a wonderful smile. Incidentally, she is the daughter of 'Jennifer'. I released an instrumental titled 'Jennifer' in 1999.

I worked on this one for several weeks trying to get it to sound the way I heard it in my head. I never got there. I hear a symphony orchestra. I got this. Turns out that a classical guitar is devilishly difficult to mic. I tried dozens of different setups and am still not happy with that track.

The other one is 'More Than Burgers'. The song almost wrote itself. It was originally More Than Tacos but as much as I like tacos I like burgers better. Piano and bass are not me. I played bass 55 years ago and sucked at it then too.

Last edited:
I got an "Oh No! We can't find that page" error on both of your links.

Later: I replaced the %2 in your "Fevery" link and got "This track was not found. Maybe it has been removed."
Again: I made Fevery into every and it got me the song. Then I changed the %2F in "burgers" to a / and it worked fine, too.

Nice songs -- enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing. You do great stuff.

Turns out that a classical guitar is devilishly difficult to mic. I tried dozens of different setups and am still not happy with that track.

You've probably already done such a simple arrangement, but years ago I had only a pair of Revox mics and there were a couple of classical guitar majors at the jam session. They told me the best setup would be to put the mics together, angled about 45º apart about 5 feet in front of them -- I was very happy with the result, but it may not be what you were looking for.

Last edited:
Larry, any chance you could post the corrected links that worked? TIA.
Sure:

soundcloud/russell-causey/every-little-smile

soundcloud/russell-causey/more-than-burgers

The last slash in each had %2F instead, otherwise the same.

Later: Well, I tried but the automatic media classification put in the %2F instead of a slash, so it's the above but I couldn't include the https part. The forum software should give us a choice of inserting it here rather than automatically making it MEDIA.

Sure:

Later: Well, I tried but the automatic media classification put in the %2F instead of a slash, so it's the above but I couldn't include the https part. The forum software should give us a choice of inserting it here rather than automatically making it MEDIA.
Thanks Larry.

I dropped two new ones this afternoon. The first is a nice relaxing instrumental piece titled 'Every Little Smile'. It is dedicated to my grand niece Olivia. She has a wonderful smile. Incidentally, she is the daughter of 'Jennifer'. I released an instrumental titled 'Jennifer' in 1999.

I worked on this one for several weeks trying to get it to sound the way I heard it in my head. I never got there. I hear a symphony orchestra. I got this. Turns out that a classical guitar is devilishly difficult to mic. I tried dozens of different setups and am still not happy with that track.

The other one is 'More Than Burgers'. The song almost wrote itself. It was originally More Than Tacos but as much as I like tacos I like burgers better. Piano and bass are not me. I played bass 55 years ago and sucked at it then too.

Thanks Russ. I enjoyed both songs, but the instrumental was special.

Sure:

Larry, I played around with the URL thing a bit, and was able to replicate what you're seeing.

Separately, I can use the Insert link icon above (looks like 2 links in a chain), but it does the same thing to the URL, unless I either enter text or use it to link highlighted text:

Every Little Smile

Not sure if the Media thing is by design or not. I'll do a little research.

Sorry guys. I think the %2 was inserted by the new forum software. I didn't notice it. In the future I'll type the url by hand.

Nowhere online did I find any mention of 5 feet for an X/Y arrangement. I tried 6, 12 and 18 inches. I'll give that a try in a couple of weeks when I can go back in the studio. We're traveling this week. Finally!

Last edited:
Sorry guys. I think the %2 was inserted by the new forum software. I didn't notice it. In the future I'll type the url by hand.

It was, indeed, Russ. It bit me too, when I tried to put in the full link for a correction, though in the edit mode the original was still there. By leaving off the https stuff on the beginning I was able to get the link to stay even though it had been pasted -- I just had to erase that first bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom