Putting solar panels on roof of 2018 Forest River Wolf Pup 16BHS travel trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SomeGuyOnTheWeb

Hi guys, I have a 2018 Forest River Wolf Pup 16BHS travel trailer and for years now I've wanted to put solar panels on the roof to make it easier to boondock for extended periods of time. However, one concern I have is the additional weight that these solar panels would put on the roof. The panels I have are the thicker kind, a little on the heavier side. Can the Wolf Pup travel trailer roof support those kind of panels? Or are there flatter/lighter solar panels that work better for the roof of a travel trailer that you guys could recommend?

For example, I've seen "flexible" Renogy solar panels that look like they are more light weight than the bulkier ones that I currently have.

Thanks to anyone for any tips.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you are gonna put multiple 100+ lb panels up there. And even then, they of necessity would be spread out and thus spread the load. Most RV roofs of the last 20-25 years are much stronger than those warned about in the old Rver's tales.

Thanks, Gary! That was another thing I was a bit nervous about: climbing on the roof of my trailer to install the solar panels. I'm a bigger guy, around 280lbs. Maybe my best bet would be to use a ladder to climb up the side of the travel trailer and install them on the roof that way.

Thanks, Gary! That was another thing I was a bit nervous about: climbing on the roof of my trailer to install the solar panels. I'm a bigger guy, around 280lbs. Maybe my best bet would be to use a ladder to climb up the side of the travel trailer and install them on the roof that way.
Use a half sheet of plywood on the roof. It will distribute your weight.

How much solar do you want?
How big is your battery?
Are you going to be running an inverter?
Do you park in the shade?, if you do then you need portable panels to put in the sun

Basic info for newbies...Mobile Solar Power: Made Easy! DIY Off-grid Solar Power!

Thank you for this! Basically looking for enough solar power to power the fridge, lights and power outlets... not trying to get crazy and power the air conditioning with solar or anything like that.

To be honest not really sure how big the battery is... it's the default that came with the Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS 2018 edition. Would it say on the battery somewhere what kind/capacity it has? (As you can tell I'm pretty new to all of this stuff).

I purchased a power inverter that was well rated with the intention of installing solar on my trailer sometime ago... the inverter I purchased is GIANDEL 2000W Power Inverter 12V DC to 110V 120V AC with Remote Control and LED Display Dual AC Outlets & USB Port for RV Truck Boat.

Plan on taking the trailer on a trip across multiple states, so if I install solar will do my best to park in the sunshine.

Somewhere there should be a label on the battery. Based on what Ive seen on OEM batteries its likely a GP 27, Marine deep cycle battery. Thats somewhere around 50ah of usable battery. Space will be important.
Does your fridge have a propane setting? Do you have a roof AC.
No AC, no micro wave and a propane fridge. The minimalist system will keep the lights and TV on.
Get a 40amp MPPT instead of the 20 amp MPPT. That will give you the ability to add a couple more
solar panels and another battery. AKA the basic 400w system in budget steps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom