Quality Motorhomes ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canon

My wife and I are setting out on an adventure soon. We are looking to purchase a 40-42ft diesel pusher. we are looking for recommenedations for quality Motorhomes. So far we have looked at Damon, Safari, Fleetwood,and a few others. We are planning on living in our new home for 5 to 10 years. We are traveling anywhere from Alaska to Florida and plan on spending some winters in snow such as Wyoming or Colorado. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! And any problems with full wall slides on one side?

Are you looking at new or used, how much do you want to spend, what part of the country (being convenient to the factory sometimes is a plus)?

I have a 2001 Dutch Star and recommend the Newmar products as well as others like American Coach.  In the Newmar line look at the Dutch Star and Mountain Aire.  Older ones will be on a Spartan Chassis with a Cummins engine and the last year or so they have used a Freightliner chassis again with a Cummins engine.

Some of the Fleetwood other than American are good as are Monaco and others.

Just my thoughts,

Thanks! We plan on looking at Newmar. I used to be an electrical engineer for Searay boats so I can fix alot of things! I am pretty handy with most mechanical stuff! I started at the bottom and worked my way up so I have alot of manufacturing experience! I just prefer to by a quality product so I don't have to do so much maintenance. Thanks for your input guys!

Sounds like you're in the position to have a great time!  Have you done much research about floor plans?  I have wondered about having appliances on a slide, but I don't see slide-related appliance issues come across the forum.  Enjoy the search!

Hi Canon and welcome. We have a library here with lots of good resources for full timers and potential full timers. Here is an article that should be of interest to you:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:fulltimeprep&catid=29:fulltiming&Itemid=45

Hi Canon, we've owned several SR products. Which plant did you work in?

I worked in the Palm Coast plant! I was head of electrical for the 330's up to the 500's I know alot about diesels and water systems (except for when below freezing) I have to read up on chassis and insulation and overall construction! We plan on spending time in Montana in the winter to give you some ideas of the extremes! I am a serious amateur photographer so you will see me in the photo forum alot once we get started on our journey! Thanks to all for your input!

Canon,

If you are going to spend time in MT winter, I recommend you talk to Capital RV in Bismarck ND as they gave me some good advice on winter RVing.  Newmar MHs are pretty well insulated and we have been in ours at about -40? F.  We and the MH survived but our friends Monaco needed repairs at -20? F  I don't know about others. IF you are parked in one place for the duration, then additional thngs can be done beyond the MH factory provided capability. 

I believe Newmar will add additional insulation in the ceiling and bays if ordered that way.  I have done some extra insulation in mine and have ideas for more.  We can pass those on when you decide and get a MH.

[quote author=Canon]I worked in the Palm Coast plant![/quote]

Ah that's where our 480DB was built, and our older 340SDA was built at Merritt Island. Didn't get to visit either of those plants, but did get a tour of the Sykes Creek facility a few years ago.

I was head of electrical for the 330's up to the 500's...

Now I know who to blame ask for help  ;D

Thanks alot Jim, that is one of my biggest concerns! My sister and her husband were in a 5er in Colorado and they had to drop kick their door open every morning due to condensation freezing on the out side!

Canon said:
We are looking at new and possibly 1 or 2 years old ! we are trying to stay under $200,000

My thinking would be either a Newmar, Tiffin or Winnebago. Find a floor plan you like tho, that is usually the biggest deciding factor.

Canon said:
Thanks alot Jim, that is one of my biggest concerns! My sister and her husband were in a 5er in Colorado and they had to drop kick their door open every morning due to condensation freezing on the out side!

That is a whole different bag of worms.  If it is humid outside or if the door leaks air, you can get that problem.  You can check the door for leaks and resolve that but if it is humid or foggy and then freezes there is not much you can do about it.  We can have that problem and have just recently experienced a freezing rain that caused the door to stick.

Welcome!  I would think with your budget you should be able to find an outstanding coach which meets your needs.  You'll also find that your technical skills will be put to good use.... and often.  ;)

I would really advise you do serious homework on the cold weather issue.  That could turn your new lifestyle on it's ear if you make a bad decision and can't stay warm.

Good Luck...

Rick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom