Quality under frame and axles....Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freedom Coach

Shopping for my first mobile retirement home, any suggestions for a well built, quality under carriage new or used 2010 and up?? 

Give us some more information on what style of RV you're interested in, and how you plan to use it (Fulltiming, part timing, snowbirding, weekend/vacation, etc).  That will let us better address your wants & needs.

Thanks scottydl, travel trailer 29-35', full time towing 10,000-15,000 miles annually. Been reading some mixed reviews on Lippert frame products, unusual and rapid tire wear, cracks in welds and metal, poor quality bearings, etc. It seems the majority of manufactures are using them.......any thoughts?

That helps... I'll move this to the Trailers/Fifth Wheels section, as I think you'll get more views and responses there.

The Northwoods line (Artic Fox, Outdoors RV, Nash) make their own frames. There are Lippert components, but the frames are custom welded at the local factories.

UTTransplant said:
The Northwoods line (Artic Fox, Outdoors RV, Nash) make their own frames. There are Lippert components, but the frames are custom welded at the local factories.

I agree with UTTransplant. Northwood trailers are well built but heavier than most due to their strong frame.

From the reading I've done, it seemed like Lippert put out a bad batch of frames at one time, or the trailer manufacturer spec'ed them out wrong. Yes there have been issues on some Lippert frames, but take a look at how many are out there, and then take a look at the failure rate. Look at the failures and find out how many were not caused by the owner overloading, using a gooseneck adapter, or generally abusing the trailer, then compare against an actual problem caused by Lippert. Of course no owner will admit they had any part in the failure, and neither will Lippert or the Rv manufacturer in regards to their specs. To me, it's not something to stress over.

I personally think that Lippert builds a lot of crap and there is often a reported drop in product quality and customer service when a small company gets bought out by LCI. I suspect (but do not know for a fact) that LCI streamlines the designs and production processes for maximum manufacturing efficiency and minimum cost, and sometimes quality gets lost.

That said, I would not disqualify a rig simply because it had a Lippert frame or axle or whatever. And if buying new or near new, it may be hard to avoid LCI components anyway.

FYI the Lippert axle assemblies have a habit of leaking grease out of the wheel seals thus contaminating the brakes. If you are looking at one, especially used, be sure you personally have the brake assemblies inspected before it leaves the lot. 

Back
Top Bottom