Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otisthecamper

I am thinking of buying a small 5th wheel (30') or a travel trailer of the same length.  Probably new.  Can I get some opinions on the best quality brands available. 

The first thing you should consider is the load capacity (payload) of whatever truck you wish to use to tow a 5th wheel trailer. A 5th wheel puts between 20-25% of its total weight plus a heavy hitch onto the truck. This would be beyond what most F150 or 1500 series trucks can carry.

We like to recommend that you use the VGWR of any given 5th wheel trailer for that comparison. Once satisfied you can do it, then look for the various makes and models with that criteria in mind.

Thanks but I am interested in quality of the trailer.  Which brand is best?  I have a new travel trailer and since I bought it I have had some issues with it and found some poor quality workmanship. 

Much has been written here on this subject and the conclusion is there is no reliably good choice. All the brands produce unacceptable percentage of lemons due to random production flaws, and most all of them have  enough oddities of design or outright design errors to be downright frustrating. The more expensive brands are better quality in the sense that their cabinetry, upholstery, flooring, insulation, and general fit & finish are better and they have features under the covers to make the ongoing ownership experience better, e.g. labeled wiring harnesses, or plumbing access panels.

If two RVs appear to have the same features and size but one is cheaper than the other, you can assume the cheaper one has cut corners where most buyers won't notice. RVs are extremely price competitive, so no manufacturer is simply charging more for the same thing. Therefore price is an indicator of build quality as well as features.

The problems you are encountering are typical for new units.
This is why the folks on this forum recommend buying a gently used unit. The original owner already went through the hassle of fixing the factory goofs. Oh, and you save thousands.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom