Quartzsite 2009 Forum Rally Sign Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ken, although we will miss QZ this year for the first time since 1997, I can tell you that there is no set schedule for the rally.  The only scheduled event is the pot luck, usually on Saturday.  Any day that's convenient for you to drive to Phoenix would be ok.  There will probably be other ad hoc activities organized when people get to the rally, and you can choose to participate or not, as you wish.  Security is not a problem as there are always some people around the rally area at any time of day or night.  I don't recall any problems in the 11 years we've been there.  After all, you're surrounded by thousands of RVers, what's to worry about? :)

There are always some folks that stick around for a few days after the official end of the rally so you won't be alone.  Those can be some of the most enjoyable evenings with Bob's campfire and a smaller group.  We'll miss everyone and miss meeting the new attendees.

Ken

We will be at the FMCA rally in Indio, CA until the 12th (January). From there we will head to QZ. Very likely there already will be a rig or 3 parked at our site. We have to go back home (Goodyear, near Phoenix) for a day around the 15th and have no compunction about leaving the coach alone. The only thing that we know that we will miss will be happy hour that day. That is the only thing that is etched in stone.

Should I wait till I get to the QZ Rally.
Since you live in sales tax-free Oregon, consider buying your generator at home or from one of the dealers in the back of Trailer Life that ship interstate.  It's unlikely you'll find a better deal in Quartzsite on a genuine Honda since their sales tax is almost 10% (9.1% last year) which must be added to the bottom line.  You might be able to pick up a Kipor or an off-brand for less but then there's the parts and warranty questions.   IMO the town is slowly killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Sorry for taking so long to respond to kind wishes from Wendy and Bob. It seems like we are running around getting ready all day, every day. We leave for the desert on Dec. 3 and good thing too. It's already snowed a couple of times here and the temp is getting pretty low.

Yes Wendy, we will probably hang around for a while after the show, although we have some friends coming down to CA/AZ in Feb so we could be returning to Yuma area to meet them. They are not campers so they will be motelling it in Yuma for a few days.

Bob, we look forward to seeing you again around the campfire. I enjoyed our chats.

To all the other nice people we met last year and the new ones we will meet at this rally, WE CAN'T WAIT!!

John, Mary-Ann & Panda Bear

Lou Schneider said:
Since you live in sales tax-free Oregon, consider buying your generator at home or from one of the dealers in the back of Trailer Life that ship interstate.  

Lou,  I got one here.  Well actually Pennsylvania.(Free Shipping-FedEX ground.)  It will be here Friday.  Plenty of time to figure the thing out.  (EU 2000i)  Saved 140 dollars from what I could get one locally.

Huston, I mean Bob we have a problem.  Trip in danger of not happening.

I had a heart attack Thanksgiving night.  The good thing is I lived through it the bad is there is damage to the heart.  How much well be determined by tests this coming week.  First tests show some loss but how much we don't know yet.  I am out of ICU and will probably be out of here soon but Doctors will pretty much decide my trip plans.

I must say it makes me kinda scared to try this trip on my own but on the other hand I can't just sit here and wait for the big one.  Will see what the doctors decide.  They will no doubt make recommendations concerning this trip.

Sorry to hear that Ken, but glad to hear you survived. Must have been scary. Take good care of yourself and be sure to heed the doctor's advice. QZ can happen another year.

Ken,

I'm sorry to hear about this latest problem and wish you well.

If the doctors say you can travel, this is one case where I recommend trying to perhaps caravan with another RVer for a while, or at least the part of the trip where it's less well populated.  This might help you feel somewhat more secure because there would be help quite nearby if you had a problem.  A lot of people RV who have a myriad of health issues so the challenge is to do it in such a way that pleases both you and your doctors.  I'm sure there are others here who can give you a lot better advice, but it may still be possible.

Take care,
ArdraF

papahog said:
Houston, I mean Bob we have a problem.  Trip in danger of not happening.

Sorry to read this, Ken. Ardra has been giving me good advice for the past 30 years -- so would second her comments.  Hopefully your doctor will find that a trip to QZ will be the best thing for you. Sunshine, warm desert walks and so forth . . .

You "will" be traveling down some long, lonesome, highways en route to QZ. For example, I broke down once about half way between Barstow and Needles on the 40. My location placed only a single bar on my ATT cell -- and then the tow truck that came after my call took over 4 hours to get to me. My cat enjoyed playing on the desert but I got pretty bored.  :(  BTW, after switching to Verizon, I get 2 or better bars all the way now.

Once you get to QZ you will have lots of neighbors. There are no hospitals in QZ -- tho there is a city health clinic on the 95 just as you enter QZ from the North. I visited them year before last just to check out their services and unfortunately, beyond giving flu shots they are not that fully equipped. No doctors on site.  Not sure if it is true or not, but one person there told me there is only one doctor in in QZ and he will not see anyone that is not already a patient. I was told that in a medical emergency the closest hospitals are in Parker (35 miles North on 95) and Blythe (24 miles West on 10).  If needed helicopter transport is given.

Other members here that will be at the rally know QZ better than I do so perhaps they can add to my comments -- am thinking of Jayne, Lou or . . .

Will be praying for you Ken and hope that you can be with us -- and for sure, do only what your doctors say is OK for you.

Ken
Good health to you.  Hope all works out for you.

Question on QZ, food shopping?  Laundromat?  That sort of thing?  ATM?

Banking?

PancakeBill said:
Question on QZ, food shopping?  Laundromat?  That sort of thing?  ATM?  Banking?

Yes, all of the above. Typical small town shopping with a bank and ATMs everywhere. You will have to drive to Blythe or Parker for major markets such as Raleys or Safeway.

Blythe has Albertsons, Albertsons, or Albertsons.  ;)

There are now three markets in Q and at least two of them are relatively well stocked.  There also are some vendors who carry fresh produce.  The other Forumites will tell you how to find the stores, including the quick route down the wash if it hasn't rained.  The Q Chamber of Commerce also prints a newspaper for snowbirds that has maps of Q and other local towns, as well as where to find various sightseeing attractions.  Expect long lines at the post office.

ArdraF

Well my heart is healing and my want to do QZ is coming back as well.

Lots will depend on tests this and next week.  I have two Cardiologist appointments the middle of the month.  That will be my decision making deadline.  I will let you know by the 20th for sure.  I hope to see you guys in January.

Now if I can get this damn kidney stone to pass.  :mad:

Hope the cardiologist finds everything in good order and gives you the green light to travel. But if he doesn't, then we'll see you in Qtz next year.

Wendy
Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley

Hello Everyone:

Some Quartzsite Thoughts:

o Gas prices are cooperating with us -- much more so than I had even hoped for. Last year my AZ/NV January trek totaled 1800 miles - so this past July I tried to figure what it would cost this year for 1800 miles at 7.5 mpg figuring $4.50/gal. Yikes!!! So substituting $1.55 into the same equation sure looks a lot better. Gas in Rocklin, CA (East of Sacramento) today was $1.60.

o Arrival Times: Several have asked when others will be arriving in QZ. If those attending will post on this thread your best estimate of your arrival date I will post beside your names on the attendee list web page HERE.

o Stuff for Sale or Give Away: If you are attending and have some stuff you no long need and want to sell or give away to other attendees, be sure and load them in your rig. We will set up a table in the central area by the fire rings for that purpose. We have been having a problem with rogue rangers giving us a bad time if we do not have a license to sell -- but have a logo or whatever on our toad. So we may not place prices on stuff -- just the name of the person to contact for a great deal. Year before last I picked up an extra TiVo remote for $10, and the last two years I have been buying Ned's hand me down flat screen monitors. This year I couldn't wait, so have purchased a new wide screen monitor and will probably bring his old Phillips down to pass on.

o Close In Parking: Let me know if you would like parking closer in to the central rally area for health reasons. We will do our best to save some sites if you let us know. Otherwise it is strictly first come first park wherever.

That's about it for now -- but will post more as we get closer to the Rally Dates. If you haven't already signed up -- please post on this thread. And remember to also post your home state and your estimated arrival date.

AGAIN, INFO AND SIGN UP  HERE.

Bob
Please add my m\name to the list.  I will be in QZ today, Sunday 12/6.  Flying back to FL on the 23rd, and driving coach back out on the 26th, arriving around the 30th to 1st.  Have to see how travel is.

I will attempt to be at anything I can, but will be working.

Back
Top Bottom