Quartzsite Rally January 2024

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We will plan on the potluck at 2:00. That should be late enough even for the night owls like Bill Waugh! And I bet Jackie has memories of dark because we hang around so long afterwards. Either that or she needs to check about cataracts LOL!

I do remember eating a huge pizza and drinking some very pleasant beer from silly Al's with excellent company by firelight.
Very happy memories.

News about the Tyson Wash dump stations: they almost surely won’t be open this year. There isn’t enough water! BLM and contractor supposedly ducking it out about responsibility, but I can imagine a contract dispute this big getting resolved and changes to wells made this season. It looks like we will be there around the first of the year since the weather has been so ridiculously warm in the Midwest.

Your posts says Tyson Wash dump station(s). Are you saying all the dump stations will be closed or only the one closest to the RV Forum Rally site. If all, that will make for some long lines in town at locations that sell water. And most likely the cost will be a bit more $$$.

Guess we'll be traveling with a full tank of water.

Your posts says Tyson Wash dump station(s). Are you saying all the dump stations will be closed or only the one closest to the RV Forum Rally site. If all, that will make for some long lines in town at locations that sell water. And most likely the cost will be a bit more $$$.

Guess we'll be traveling with a full tank of water.
The only dump station(s) in the La Posa Tyson Wash LTVA are the new multi-lane ones that are under construction and they can't open until they solve the water problem at that location. The existing two lane dump station and water spigots are across the highway in the La Posa South LTVA and it will remain open.

Last edited:
Gary, the BLM had planned to close the 2 line La Posa South dump station and open the newly created 4 line dump station constructed last winter/summer in Tyson Wash. The La Posa South site will still be open, but the new one in Tyson Wash wont be. I was looking forward to having shorter lines at the dump station!

Here's a screen grab from a YouTube drone video taken after yesterday's rainfalls. It's looking northeast across Old Yuma Rd. showing the new sewage ponds partially filled by the rainwater runoff. If I'm interpreting it correctly it shows our traditional rally site adjacent to the ponds.

Quartzsite RV Forum Rally Site.jpg

More like a couple of inches, max. Someone posted a picture of their wheelbarrow they left outside on the Quartzsite Chatter Facebook group, the rain filled it to the brim of the shallow end.
That's where I read it. Lots of water. Saw the wheelbarrow too 🤣

If it's the same system that just went through our area, 15 miles NW of Los Angeles, it might last a few days. We had about 4 inches in 3 days. Not much wind but periods of heavy rain.

We will be in Quartzsite for two Bus Conversion Rallies
Hope you can stop by for Happy Hour or the potluck at least! We are headed out either late on Tuesday or (more likely) on Wednesday. Should be there about 1 January. We will scout out a new site then, because, as Lou showed, i am not too fond of being next to the sewage lagoons even if they haven’t started using them officially yet. When we get something picked out, we will post directions and lat/lon.

Quartzsite seems to have fully recovered from the covid years - the place is filling up already. We are settled in at a new rally site in Tyson Wash. I will post directions late tomorrow with pictures and such. The dump stations and water fill site construction at Tyson Wash is complete, but the wells aren’t producing enough water to open the new spots. La Posa South dump station and water fill is open as in previous years. For more good news, I can actually get fast Verizon 5G in town and at the site! I won’t say how long data service will continue to be good, but it is fine now.

Last edited:
Directions to the new rally site: Take US 95 south from the town of Quartzsite to the Tyson Wash LTVA Visitor Contact Station. It will be just off the road on the west side. Turn into the Contact Station and get your camping permit if you are staying overnight. It is $40 for 14 days. Continue down the main “road”. At the 15 mph speed sign (0.1 miles from the entrance), three “roads” come together. Take the middle one. Continue past the new water fill station (closed) and the new dump station (also closed) until the road dead ends into Old Yuma Road (0.8 miles from speed sign). Turn left. There are two washes to pass through. The last one is just before a large water tank and pumping station on the right side. (See first picture)

Continue just past the tanks and take BLM 561 to the left. This is about 0.4 miles from where you turned on Old Yuma Road. The sign has been run over and only semi propped up with some stones, but a good GPS zoomed in well should show it. Continue down this road past the bathrooms. (Second picture)

Go past the twin saguaros. (Third picture)

Just before the large yellow tent on the left, cross the tiny wash on the right, about 0.5 miles. (Fourth picture)

There are two easy crossings so pick the one you want. There will be a second tiny wash; cross that too. You will see our dark red, cream, and gold Tiffin motorhome facing the second wash with a Starlink and weather station pole that is flying an RV Forum flag. Park where you want. (Fifth picture)

Lat/lon of our rig is 33.62537N, 114.22838W. If you think you will have problems finding it, message me for my phone number a day or two before you arrive. Note all the roads are good gravel ones. There are actually multiple ways to the site, but these directions are for the easiest travel with large rigs.

Attachments

• IMG_9986.jpeg
    IMG_9986.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9987.jpeg
    IMG_9987.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9988.jpeg
    IMG_9988.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9989.jpeg
    IMG_9989.jpeg