Question about E Z Tow Dual Axel wheels on FE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristineB

Hi everyone!  We recently picked up a new 2013 Freedom Express 292BHDS. We brought it home from a quick weekend trip and when we were backing it up into its storage spot, I noticed the wheels looked crooked; I mean the front wheel looked IN about an inch further than the back wheel; like they were not aligned properly. We were backing into the spot from the roadway which was perpendicular to the spot we backed into.
I have never noticed it before and I don't know if it is normal or not; this is only the second time we have parked it in this spot.
Is this normal for this kind of dual axel trailer?  Any comments?

It is normal - especially if you are trying to make a tight turn (either forward or backward)!  If you think about what is happening at the wheels, the trailer is trying to pivot about a point roughly in the middle of the wheels - which means that as it turns, one set of wheels is being pushed towards to outside of the turn, the other set to the inside.  The suspension on the trailer, and the tire sidewalls, will "squirm" to allow this to happen - but you will leave some black tire marks too!  Once you straighten up, the suspension will "relax" and the wheels will be back in alignment!

Hey Limey, thanks for the great information!!  We took the trailer out for a bit of a test tonight and maneuvered it and parked it a few times in a couple of different flat parking lots and I watched the wheels. My husband even got out and I sat in the driver's seat (first time with the trailer on the back) and I moved it around a bit so he could watch the wheels.  Wow!!!  What a learning experience!! 
I was so upset about it last night that I called the dealer first thing this morning. I was preparing to drive it to the dealer tonight (an hour and a half away)!  We played telephone tag all day and I still haven't spoken to them about it.
But thanks to your information, we went out tonight and checked it out and now I will have a GOOD night sleep knowing that our new trailer is perfectly fine!!!
Thanks again!!!

Whenever you are backing into a spot and the wheels are in a bind form turning pull it straight ahead and back again to take the stress off the tires and suspension, your tires and suspension will last a lot longer.

Denny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom