Question about forum protocol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amasake

I am hoping to buy my first RV, looking at lots of Craig's List ads, saw a neat little one last Sunday, not a lot of bells 'n whistles, but had been well-kept & well-loved by its owner for the last 15 years or so.

I would like to post what seller is asking, to see if anyone might have some feedback regarding a fair price but... is that allowed here? I'm not looking to rip anyone off or cause any trouble -- I just don't have a whole lot of experience with RV's so I figured this'd be a good place for practical advice.

From what I've read, it looks like a 3 year old RV is the "sweet spot" I'd be aiming for? Looks like $3k - $5k is the general price range from owners, does that sound right? Not sure about dealers but I assume that's a more expensive route to go.

I've also read that while RV's (like cars) depreciate in value quite a lot when you drive 'em off the lot, after 3 years that kinda levels out...? Does that sound right? So this 1998 Coleman should be in the same price range as a newer (but used) model...?? I guess after a certain point, you're paying more for condition than for age...???

If I'm allowed to post specifics, I'd love to attach a photo of the pop up I'm considering right now. I am looking at two others this weekend, then hopefully will be ready to buy....

Thanks very much for any advice or input. Have a great day!

Carolyn

You can post what the seller is asking,

I've also read that while RV's (like cars) depreciate in value quite a lot when you drive 'em off the lot- YES

I figured this'd be a good place for practical advice.- Ask away, thats why we are here, for the love of RVing and sharing knowledge.

Not sure about dealers but I assume that's a more expensive route to go. - yes and no just depends.

3-5 thousand for a 15 year old pop-up is about the going range from looking online- But I would say 2,500 to 3,000- but would have to be mint-how old are the tires? does everything work?  Nit pick and have them come down on the price. Everyone always asks for more than they are willing to take, especially on craigslist.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

It is a buyers market but do your research and a good deal is what YOU are willing to pay, not what the seller wants you to pay.

I would like to post what seller is asking, to see if anyone might have some feedback regarding a fair price but... is that allowed here?

Sure thing Carolyn, go ahead. Chief's suggestion of checking the NADA price guides is good, but don't check any options before requesting the price.

Feel free to post the sale info, or a link to it.

Rv's depreciate steadily for 10-15 years, then sort of level out. Smaller trailers will level out a bit sooner, simply because the price is lower overall, so the difference in absolute dollars gets small sooner.  After a time, condition is everything and age no longer matters.

Yes, dealers will command a higher price, though you usually get some service and prep work with it for the extra cost.  And a private seller may be desperate to unload the rig for financial reasons.

You can look up Rvs in the onlne NADA RV Guide - we often discuss the NADA price vs asking price here.  www.nadaguides.com and click RV

Hi Carolyn,

am hoping to buy my first RV, looking at lots of Craig's List ads, saw a neat little one last Sunday, not a lot of bells 'n whistles, but had been well-kept & well-loved by its owner for the last 15 years or so.

I would like to post what seller is asking, to see if anyone might have some feedback regarding a fair price but... is that allowed here? I'm not looking to rip anyone off or cause any trouble -- I just don't have a whole lot of experience with RV's so I figured this'd be a good place for practical advice.

From what I've read, it looks like a 3 year old RV is the "sweet spot" I'd be aiming for? Looks like $3k - $5k is the general price range from owners, does that sound right? Not sure about dealers but I assume that's a more expensive route to go.

It sounds as if you're talking about a pop up or similar,; certainly Motor Homes, Trailers and 5'ers will be much higher than that for three year old units.

I've also read that while RV's (like cars) depreciate in value quite a lot when you drive 'em off the lot, after 3 years that kinda levels out...? Does that sound right? So this 1998 Coleman should be in the same price range as a newer (but used) model...?? I guess after a certain point, you're paying more for condition than for age...???
I'd expect it is more like 10 years than 3.

In any event, Blue Book will give you a starting point for price, but as you note, condition is much more the determinent for older units.

Hope this helps,

Ernie

Thank you so much for the links/info about how to check "book" value -- at least it's a starting point, right?

OK so here's the link to the pop up I'm looking at. The guy seemed really nice, he clearly loves this thing and had lots of great times in it (the family has upgraded to a bigger RV):

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/rvs/2872592482.html

I took some pics when I went to see it last weekend, and then I'll be checking out another pop up this weekend:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/rvs/2836083991.html

Not sure what a "sink portal toilet" is -- when I google that, I get links to what looks like a portable toilet, which is fine but I am hoping to avoid a camper with a toilet actually *inside* cause pop-ups seem a little close quarters for that, to me.

Anyway, thanks again! So glad I found this forum!

Both look nice, looks like only one has AC, Really depends on the condition of the canvas. It can get real expensive real quick.

Price is not firm make me an offer

Price is negotiable.

My Favorite words !!!

A friend of mine has a pop up and his main complaint is the mechanism used to crank it up and down. Based on his complaining I might try to be sure there are no issues with that, the other would be mildew/rot.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom