Question for the electrical guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evil Santa

We have a new Granddaughter so are not traveling south this winter. We live in Northern Minnesota where it gets very cold. Talking 20-30 below nights frequently. My question is with leaving the 2000 Damon Challenger plugged in. Mainly about the converter charger for battery health it has 2 6 volt. Things tend to not function well in these elements so just wondered if any problems could arise. I've had tenders that didn't like the cold go into fault so was wondering which is better. Or should I just take them out and put them into my garage warm room?
It's just great when it doesn't get above zero for a week at a time. :) I am an avid Snowmobiler but it gets to cold for that sometimes.
Thanks, Jim

I have to assume you got the rest of the rig winterized already..so for peace of mind disconnect the batteries..all three... and take them inside where you can clean / check water levels and put a fresh charge on them whenever spring arrives..There is always a good chance there is parasitic drain in your electrical system and if you left them in the rig chances are they could discharge and freeze..then you would have to dig deep in your pockets to replace them....

If it's gonna sit unused for the winter, I would go the cautious route and pull the batteries. Since you have a warm room in the garage I'd pull them and store them with a battery tender. If they are not maintenance free, mark a calendar to check the water levels every couple weeks.

An accidentally discharged battery can freeze. That can break or dislodge the plates, or burst the case. Cheap insurance to go with bringing them inside.

It's also a good idea, before removing the batteries,  to take a photo of how they are setup. Makes it easy when us time to put them back.... no guessing game on wires.

Yes it is totally winterized and covered. I guess I should put it a different way It has 2 6 volt batteries. I want to know if I am putting any undue stress using the on board charging system in cold temps. I was trying to avoid pulling them since I don't have a 6 volt charger. I guess I could wire them up In the warm room if I had to..

I'm not too far south of ya, 8 out this morning...

I've got shore power plugged in, as long as I disconnect from the dash no charge is going to my coach batteries. I plan to go out every other week or so and turn the switch on for the day just to keep them charged and not run them dry from over charging in the dryer winter weather.

Daffy said:
I'm not too far south of ya, 8 out this morning...

I've got shore power plugged in, as long as I disconnect from the dash no charge is going to my coach batteries. I plan to go out every other week or so and turn the switch on for the day just to keep them charged and not run them dry from over charging in the dryer winter weather.
Yeah -20 this morning. That is similar to what I have been doing. Was just wondering about the extreme temps and the electrical charging system. I really should be someplace warm right now. Can't get Grandma away from the Precious one.. :)

Evil Santa said:
Yes it is totally winterized and covered. I guess I should put it a different way It has 2 6 volt batteries. I want to know if I am putting any undue stress using the on board charging system in cold temps. I was trying to avoid pulling them since I don't have a 6 volt charger. I guess I could wire them up In the warm room if I had to..

You don't need a 6 volt charger, just a jumper from one + to one -.  Then use a 12 volt charger.

Thanks guys, my concern was not so much about the batteries but the cheaper electrical system. This is the second Damon I've had, I just picked this one up a few months ago. The 30 amp systems in these can definitely be a weak link so just wondering out loud. These are also the first 6 volts that I've had to deal with.
I think it's just the Cabin Fever getting to me. To much time to ponder these important questions. :)
Our sticks and bricks is on a small lake in the Superior Natl. Forest and is a great place in the summer. Winter on the other hand is a very different story. It was different when we had to live here for work. The last 3 years we have gone south for winter. So this year is a shocking reality to what it used to be like. The Sun is shining and it's up to -19 does it get any better.. ;)

Your coach doesn't have 6v charging either. You connect the two 6v's in series and you have one 12v battery that any standard automotive charger can charge. All you need is one jumper wire from positive on one 6v to the negative on the other, then hook the charger to the other pos & neg terminals.

I'm guessing the onboard charger in a 2000 Damon is a low-tech single stage type, so check the electrolyte level in the battery cells periodically and realce any lost fluid with distilled water.

Thanks Gary, I do understand the 6v wired in series. Should I be concerned with the lower end charger and converter and the -30 temps. I know they don't like heat but what about cold?

I don't think the charger is going to be affected much, if at all, by cold - it warms itself up as it runs.

The batteries, though, would enjoy a warmer location. Even +20 is darn cold as far as a lead acid battery is concerned, and if for any reason power was lost and charge was not maintained, the battery will freeze and ruin the internal plates and/or outside case.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I don't think the charger is going to be affected much, if at all, by cold - it warms itself up as it runs.

The batteries, though, would enjoy a warmer location. Even +20 is darn cold as far as a lead acid battery is concerned, and if for any reason power was lost and charge was not maintained, the battery will freeze and ruin the internal plates and/or outside case.
Thanks, yes living in the North all my life we do know about what the cold can do to batteries. We also learn that extreme cold can do strange things..

Can't go RV-ing so posting on the RV forum, Santa must be getting cabin fever!  ;)

Stay warm and enjoy the grandbaby Jim!

Fully charged batteries can (And have in my personal case) Survived temps in the 40 below range. (The ignition system failed at those temps, but the battery was just fine)

If your Challanger has a decent 3-stage converter.. (My persnal favorite is the Progressive Dynamics Intella power Wizard controlled models.. One of which Damon installed in my 2005 Intruder) I DID leave it plugged in all winter...  Check the fluid level when you park it top off and equalize if needed (If you top off EQUALIZE unless you have a Wizard, the Wizard will do it for you).

Check again in a month or 2.  and keep checking till spring.. Well keep checking till you get a feel for how long you can go without adding Distilled Water.

In my case, when new, it was one full year (Just over 12 months in fact) as they aged it got down to quarterly. But when new it was one full year.. My Replacement's are older than that and still not needing watering at last check.. Due for another.

Oh, I parked in Detroit, MI.

V2Neal said:
Can't go RV-ing so posting on the RV forum, Santa must be getting cabin fever!  ;)

Stay warm and enjoy the grandbaby Jim!

Thanks Neal, you know where my head is at. I should be bird watching in South Texas about now. Sue isn't leaving, She has to play Nanny in a couple weeks..

John From Detroit said:
Oh, I parked in Detroit, MI.

I grew up between Gratiot and Groesbeck and 14 and 15 mile rd. Was Mt Clemens then now Clinton Twp. Got out of the Military in 72 and excaped the city in 74. Moved to the woods of Northern Mn. I still have family in the Metro area but I only go back for Funerals now.

Even in the warm room, you might consider using a battery maintainer (I like the Battery Minder units) to keep the batteries charged and de-sulphated. It really helps with battery longevity.

There are warming mats that you can place under the batteries in the battery compartment.
http://www.alpha.com/index.php/products-mobile/cable-tv-broadband-products/item/battery-heater-mats

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom