Question for Travel trailer w/slide that bounces!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieD

Okay, we traded in our old Sunline for a 2004 Terry w/a slide.  When we took it for our first trip last week,  we were surprised at how much it bounces around when parked and secured.  Are we missing something?  Is it because it is so much higher off the ground?  Is there anything we can do?  It is only my husband & I, not a bunch of kids running around.  I am not looking forward to getting motion sickness in our weekend home....help...    :-\

I think the height is a big factor. We experienced the same thing when we moved from our 2000 Wilderness to our current TT. The floor in this one is one is about 1 foot higher. I think the main reason for the shaking is that the scissor jacks have to extend so much more with a higher trailer so they are not as stable.

I turned my rear jacks 45 degrees and use a locking tire chock - this combo seems to help but overall, it's still a little shaky.

I'm thinking about putting the rear jacks back to their original position and turning the front one 45 degrees to see if this makes a difference.

Use of the locking chocks will make a big difference. It takes a lot of bounce out of the suspension.  So will adding rear stabilizers if it doesn't already have them. Or maybe upgrading the stabilizers to a heftier model, if you cannot crank them down tight enough to stop the jiggle.

Were camping in our RV this week and I've noticed it doing the same thing. In Helen Ga. the lot was level and I just barley had to raise it up and I kind of thought that was it, but now I'm in SC at my moms house and it jacked up rather high and it the same thing

We're full timers in a 40ft Fuzion T/H, high off the ground.  We found that by placing 6-7 Linx Levelers (giant orange Legos)  under the pads of each sissor jack in the back so the jacks don't have to extend as much, along with our pin-box tripod, it makes things pretty stable, so you'll just have to experiment.  You can use wood blocks but the Linx product is much more convien.  I'm taking it on faith that you have four stabilizing jacks already, one on each corner yes?  You don't have a pin box obviously, but when I had my TT, I put two extra alum jack stands under each arm of the hitch A-frame up front about 2/3 back from the ball socket, which stabilized it nicely.  CW also sells portable cross braces if you want to go that route, and they work very well, but they're a hassle unless you're going to be somewhere for a long time.  Also keep your tires aired to max pressure as indicated on the sidewall(s).  Hope this helps.  Have fun.

WOW!!!  Thank you all for the quick replies!  This really is a friendly and helpful forum!  I am going to print all these suggestions and tell my husband to try them all!!    :)

I second the suggestion to put built up blocks under the stabilizers.  The less you have to crank them down, the more solid it becomes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom