Question on actual king pin weight.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Foto-n-T said:
It's funny that you mention the hunting.  A few weeks prior to our departure a deer made the mistake of walking in front of my 30-30. 

Hate it when that happens.  Suddenly stuck with a large pile of venison.  :)

Joe, I understand the difference between "campers" and "RVrs". I do both things. This year by the end I will end spending five months as a snow bird "RVrs" and if five long weekends as a camper.  I am new at this and learning every month. Actually, I did not know I was going to spend this much time in our FW but my wife loves it and that is the end of the story.

One thing I learned is that If I am camping is usually closer because I am coming back at the end of the weekend.  Therefore, I can carry more stuff because it is a shorter trip and is not as bad.  I even take a full tank of water.

However, when we leave for winter, it is at least 1,100 miles away.  For these trips I want to be leaner as it will be better on the TV, FW, and me. Before departing and packing, I ask the question: can I get this stuff down there easily?  If the answer is yes, then I don't pack it. For example, I do not hunt, but do some consultation work while snow birding and use a lot of paper for printing documents to be mailed.  Boxes of paper would add a lot of weight, easily hundreds of pounds if I take all the boxes I use during a winter.  I took a ream or two but no more.  I know I can get anywhere once I get to the point of destination. Doing this I save a lot of weight. I put some water on the water tank but not full either. Weight in the basement has implications on pin weight. My two cents on this.

That's the beauty of this forum.  Folks who are new to the lifestyle or even old hands get the chance to learn from others experiences and/or mistakes.

Our maiden voyage was over ten years ago and I could write a book about what we learned the hard way on that one.  There's so many tricks out there to doing what we do.

Foto-n-T said:
That's the beauty of this forum.  Folks who are new to the lifestyle or even old hands get the chance to learn from others experiences and/or mistakes.

Our maiden voyage was over ten years ago and I could write a book about what we learned the hard way on that one.  There's so many tricks out there to doing what we do.

And every time we think we know it all.....it all comes crashing down and teaches us once more.  ;)

RVRAC said:
What I have observed is that most folks carry so much stuff in their FW basements, but as I spend weeks next to them, the stuff is not used.  Why would I carry heavy cases of beer or water from WI to either TX or FL knowing that I can buy down there if I need them? Makes no sense to me.

Interesting thought. Here's why I do it. I live in Michigan and love yuengling beer, which is not available here. Last trip to Alabama I headed down with near empty basement storage. Coming back she was loaded to the gills with cases of the good stuff. And last summer at the Coachmen rally in Indiana, had to take a detour to Ohio to load up a bunch of cases for the trek home. Kind of like my own little "Smokey and the Bandit" replay.

The look on the stock boy's face in the store when pushing a grocery cart full of beer, asking if there is more in the back is priceless!  ;D

Back
Top Bottom