Question on Residential Fridges and Frequent Travelers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 10.7 whirlpool two door has been shake rattle and rolling for 3 years and about 20k miles. It was $485 delivered to my house and I sold the 15 year old dometic for $450. I did also go from an 1000 watt inverter to a 2000 and increased battery pack from four GC2 to six. Many manufacturers will state that they are not to be run on an inverter or used in an RV. They also warn against use in garage or patio sometimes.

If mine died I'd push it out the door and get another. $485 divided by three years is $161 per year. If I get five years out of it I would be very happy. No different than batteries, tires, diesel fuel etc.

TandC said:
Regarding the type of rv that the residential fridge is in.  We have a rear kitchen Cougar fifth wheel(32'), and the fridge is in the very back of the camper.  We have trouble with the door shelves breaking in our Dometic fridge from the bouncing of items on those shelves, but the fridge is pretty robust in regards to the main components.

Thanks, 
Tom

We currently have a 3-slide truck camper with a Dometic RV fridge, but unlike your floor plan, our fridge is centrally located, so theoretically less severe bouncing and we have had one shelf break, replaced it only to have the new one break.  While bouncing of the items in the shelves may contribute to breaking, I think it is more likely very cheap and insufficient plastic as the culprit.  On the other hand our previous TT had a rear kitchen with a Dometic RV fridge and no issues with the shelves breaking or any observable bouncing related issues of kitchen wares and food.

We have a whirlpool residential fridge in our Teton factory installed new. It is a 2003 model. I replaced the ice crusher motor 2 years ago. Trouble free with that exception.

Many new RV's come with residential refrigerators from the factory. If they were not suitable they would soon stop installing them.

During installation of our new residential refrig to replace our broken absorption refrig, the mobile tech broke a freon line. A mobile refrig repair guy come out and was able to repair the broken line, replace the dryer and recharge the freon system from the outside access panel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom