Question on taking delivery of new motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrendaPete

We pick up our new View in the morning from the dealership.  I have printed out the checklist from the Library. Wow - it's great - thank you!  So what do you guys do when you find something?  Do you have them keep the RV and pick it back up when everything is fixed?  Or simply have them sign off on all this stuff that needs fixing and schedule a time - is that the kiss of death, you'll never see your motorhome again for months?  Or take it out several times them bring it back with all the stuff you found on inspection/delivery, and all the stuff you found while using it?  Sorry if this is dumb.  I tried to do my first search, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks for any advice you can give.
BRenda

Brenda, nothing is dumb if you don't know the answer and don't ask!  In this case, you want them to repair things needing repair before you leave the dealership.  If it's something serious, such as a safety issue, don't even drive it off the lot.  You should go over everything and make sure it all works before you accept if for delivery and pay them. Once they have your money they can find all kinds of excuses to avoid making repairs.  There are some reputable dealers, but sadly there are too many who are not, so always err on the side of caution.  I hope it goes smoothly!

ArdraF

Thank you so much.  That felt like the right answer before I asked, but I'm just so darn excited to get it home.  Best to be cautious.  I appreciate you answering me so quickly.  What a great forum, full of wonderful, helpful people.  :)

It will likely come to both of the options you mentioned, stuff you find on a pre-inspection and other stuff you won't find until you used it a couple of times. For stuff picked up on a pre-inspection prior to delivery, it is best if you hold on to your money unit the work is completed. That will give the dealer some incentive to complete the work quickly.

Once you leave the sales lot, you become a customer of the service department and all your pre-delivery leverage is lost. Even a well-meaning dealer service manager will be juggling several balls at once and you become just one of his concerns rather than having the full focus of the dealership.  Ergo, do everything possible to have problems fixed before you leave, even if that means going home empty-handed. Disappointing, to be sure, but the smart way to do thing.  However, it is possible that parts will need to be ordered, so sometimes you just have to get the issue documented and plan on a return visit.

It's too late now, but my preference is to arrange a walk-through a couple days BEFORE delivery. Identify problems ahead of time and give them a chance to fix things properly. Of course, the dealer thinks that if it is ready for walk-through/PDI, then it is ready for delivery, but his goals are different than yours.

The better dealers will invite you to spend a couple days at the dealership for the delivery and might even have "delivery campsites" set aside for that purpose. Even if its just the back of the parking lot. Spending even a single night there before talking it home is highly instructive!

Brenda, it may be hard to check all systems depending on what the dealership has provided.  Hopefully they gave you a partial tank of fresh water to test plumbing (look for leaks under counters, etc.), a full tank of propane (there was a recall with 15/16 models but check anyway) so check that the fridge lights on gas, the hot water heater lights on gas, the generator starts, turn on both burners while generator is on to check gas flow (recall had to do with gas on one appliance being snuffed out when gen was running).  Run your engine and run your slide out and back in remembering to hold the button a couple of secs after it finishes.  Ask the dealer what the level is of DEF and have them show you it is full.  We have not had warranty issues (knock on wood) with our 17 Navion but unless it is a show stopper I would take a couple of short trips to test things out.  Service departments can be great to deal with or a royal pain.  They can be efficient or very inept (we had a black water flush installed on our 08 View by Camping World and they made the hole in the tank about 5 times to large).  I would ask other View Navion owners on the Yahoo User group that live in SDiego and use the same dealer you go to what their service experience has been.  You are not bound to the same dealership for warranty work but you do need to go to a repair shop authorized to do Winnebago warranty work or travel back to Forest City.  I hope you have as good of luck as we have had with our Navion!  Perhaps we will see you on the road some day.  Happy camping!!

Thank you!  We did spend several hours in our View at the RV show.  The (diesel) generator was running, a/c was on, turned on lights, etc.  I got in the shower, opened and closed that door.  I did find one back storage door that didn't close easily, and put that on my fix it list.  We will have water on today, propane etc so we can test further.  Husband is retired plumber, thank God, so understands a lot of this stuff more than I do.  This RV is so beautiful, I get a bit blinded.  This is going to be so much fun!  I can't wait to get on the road and meet you guys and many others, see the beautiful sights this country has to offer, and maybe find my next home location.  Are we all lucky/blessed or what?!!

Back
Top Bottom