r/c aircraft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dirtdr

Although I'm not 100% into the "rv lifestyle" - i live in my fifth wheel while working, and when not working i spend most of my time with my family (wife and 5 and 7 year old) touring around in the 5er. While 'holidaying' I fly Radio controlled aircraft - airplanes and helicopters. I have a toy hauler with a 10 foot garage. this is my hobby room or workshop. I have a 4x8' workbench and all my modeling tools stored there. Even tho the airplanes are large (some as big as 10' wingspan),I manage to do all my building and fixing here. I don't even have a model room at home! I have a fleet of 3 heli's and about 12 airplanes ready to fly at any given time. In the summer they get towed along in a 14x7' cargo trailer behind the fifth wheel. (yes we can tow doubles here in Alberta). If anyone else does the same, look for my rig at fun-flies in western Canada next summer - you can't miss it.

My Dad used to fly radio control airplanes. He kept them on the 5th wheel bed when they weren't in it. When his eyes got so bad he couldn't find the planes in the sky, he switched to boats and kept those in the 5er bathtub. Mike has an electric plane he's trying to learn how to fly. He's got a small digital camera in it to take flyover pictures.

Enjoy
Wendy

I have often thought of doing some R/C stuff but alas.. Funds are not a-popping.  But a nice hi-rez digital camera and a UHF radio link to ground would be quite nice.. Even a low-rez link with an on-board Flash drive woudl work well

and with my USER ID... I can use better radios to control with :)

But alas, I've neither the time nor the funds

I've always wished I had an r/c airplane, at least a small toy model, but I haven't had such luck. I've flown friends' planes once or twice though. It's a lot of fun. Why don't you post some pictures of your models for us?

Horse said:
I've always wished I had an r/c airplane, at least a small toy model, but I haven't had such luck. I've flown friends' planes once or twice though. It's a lot of fun. Why don't you post some pictures of your models for us?

Horse, It is extremely affordable these days to buy a small r/c aircraft, either airplane or heli. In the past couple of years a lot of entry level models have come on the market at very reasonable prices. Check out a hobby store and see what is out there. I have flown r/c for several years and currently have 7 helis and 2 planes a couple of which are easily small enough to fly in the back yard.

Try it! I bet you will like it.

Pierat said:
Interesting. Do you use ham radio frequencies for control?

Some pilots use Ham frequencies but most use 72 mhz which is dedicated to r/c flying or the new radios which are 2.4 ghz. Ham is by far the least used though.

Its a fun hobby, heres my flight with a glider at Quartzite RC field, I almost wipe out the camera on landing:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7yfMTHA5JA

Attachments

• Radian today1.jpg
    Radian today1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 45
vmax1 said:
Its a fun hobby, heres my flight with a glider at Quartzite RC field, I almost wipe out the camera on landing:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7yfMTHA5JA

Your glider reminds me of my brother inlaws glider before he got into radio control. He launched his powered glider and it climbed and climbed.  When the engine cut out, it slowly circled and eventually we lost view of it due a wooded area.  We never did find it again.  It either came down in the woods or one of the cornfields.

Wendy said:
He's got a small digital camera in it to take flyover pictures.
Enjoy
Wendy

How cool is that? Post a picture or two when he gets the hang of it so we can see an aerial of you.

Tried the planes and was so bad I went to r/c sailboats. A lot slower but I don't crash , plus I don,t get a stiff neck. They are a little tough to haul in the 5er. I guess there's a new TH in the future. ;D

bill40 said:
Tried the planes and was so bad I went to r/c sailboats. A lot slower but I don't crash , plus I don,t get a stiff neck. They are a little tough to haul in the 5er. I guess there's a new TH in the future. ;D

Dad carried his r/c sailboat in the 5er bathtub for 18 years. Where there's a will, there's a way :)

Wendy

Ive been into rc for many yrs . This is the newest one I,m working on . Its a Fokker D-6 , model made by Glenn Torrance , very well made kits .

Attachments

• D6-0.jpg
    D6-0.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 48
my step dad made and flew R/C planes for many years. i got to fly his a few times but like the cars and boats better. i dont have any right now but if things keep going like they are ill have either a car or boat.

dirtdr,
I fly R/C helicopters as well.  I had to purchase and build an electric copter for taking out while camping.  The gas one tends to upset the neighbors.  It is a great hobby.  Good luck with your flying.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom