Racor filter VS Wix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

I bought a couple of Racor 30 micron fuel filters for our Bounder.  When they went to ship them they found them to be damaged and substituted comparable WIX filters.

I've only used Racor and am wondering if WIX are of similar quality.

Thanks!

I've never had a problem with any Wix filter but I have had and seen engines ruined with Fram and Champ oil filters. Nothing against Racor its just that my supplier deals with Wix.

I have been using WIX for years on my car, diesel truck, diesel tractor.  They are very popular around here. :)

Thanks!  I've never used WIX before but I knew they make lots of OEM filters.  I've seen the inside of Fram filters.  Not on anything I own.

I'll be doing both fuel filters next week.  Dangerous job.  I'm a DH (dead husband) if I spill a drop of diesel in the bedroom.  I'm also doing the air dryer filter and that's the job I really dread.  It's a bear to get at but I'm a stubborn old cuss and I have plenty of skin&blood to spare.

I don't know how your Bounder is but I do my filters from the bottom. I open up the engine hatch so I can get some AC and light. Slide under on a sheet of plywood or a tarp and have at it.

Racor is made by Parker, and IMO makes one of the best filters so is my first choice when possible. I would use Wix if I had to but the important thing is the filter rating. If this is your primary filter with a secondary after it then the Wix will get you by. Make sure the cross is the same rating or just pass and get a Racor from someone else, or, go back to OEM. A slightly cheaper filter is usually cheaper for a reason, just like sending you what they have in stock is better than loosing a customer. Neither option is necessarily in your best interest.

Very few filter mfrs. make Racor replacements. In most cases they just rebox a genuine Racor. If you look closely you may see the Racor name or part #. As for other Wix filters: They are a second tier mfr. Slightly better than Fram but no big deal! I would recommend Fleetguard, Donaldson or if you have a Cat use Genuine Cat.

I would like to use Cat but Freightliner or Fleetwood installed their own favorite brand of primary and the Cat filter is about 1/2" too small to fit the existing mount.  I would have to change everything and it's not in an easily accessed place.  Seems that Fleetwood isn't as focused on 'ease of service' as some out her builders.

Good to see you over here Moisheh!  I remember we 'conversed' over on IRV2 a while back.

Because you said would like to use a Cat filter I'm going to guess you have the 3126 in your rig. Since you purchased a 30 micron filter that means you have two housings, a primary for the 30 out back and a secondary by the engine that uses a 2 micron. You don't say which Racor you are using bur usually the Cat OEM or Fleetguard filters will interchange so maybe you were looking at the wrong OEM number? The problem with the OEM is that is just has a drain, no glass bowl, so most use the Racor with the clear bowl and drain on the primary. Most of the larger filter shops in town will sell Racor or you can go here to look at all the options for your housing etc and then cross over your OEM if you want. http://www.maesco.com/products/racor/r_spn_intro/r_spn_320/r_spn_320.html
I always carry a spare fuel filter with me, if you ever get a bad load of fuel it sure makes life easier. Good luck.

Exactly!  Except it's a C7 not a 3126, but don't ask me to explain the difference between them.  ;)

I have a clear plastic bowl with a drain and wish to keep it.  If I had only one filter I'd be lots more concerned about it.  But anything the primary misses will get caught in the secondary (Cat) filter.

Nobody said that Wix filters are junk and that's going to work for me.

I was going to buy a couple of years worth of filters in Quartzite last January but I wrecked my back the first day there and didn't get to shop for anything!  :eek:.  I was looking for a Cat manual primer pump too.

keymastr said:
Wix are good quality, Fram are not.

Yeah. I only got 200k miles out of my Jeep using Fram filters before it went to the scrap yard due to rust after 15 years. Said Jeep used a half-quart of oil between 5k oil changes. Fram terrible; Interwebs say so.

Hi Muddypaws:  The Racor was probably installed by someone other than FL. They have a full line of fuel filters and are first class. Nice to see you here as well!

Dan,

Not being one to trust everything I read on the net I cut open the can of a current generation Fram when I took it off one of my cars and did not like the cardboard construction I found.  Back in the 60's when I worked in a service bay they were one of the best and we sold thousands of them without any failures.  I used Fram HP filters on VW racing motors and they were fine back then.  But somewhere along the way Fram decided to cash in on their name.

I tend to buy Ford filters for Fords, Honda for Hondas Cat for Cats.....

That you got 200K out of a Jeep is awesome regardless of filter brand.  My buddy has a 1948 that still runs good.

In my 1957 BMW I've never changed the oil filter! And I never change the radiator fluid either and it runs and performs just like new. I do change the oil yearly but never a filter. You guys make maintenance way too complicated.

Ken

PS, I'm the third owner of the car and neither of the two previous owners ever had an oil filter change or coolant flush either.

And I had a bunch of VW's that didn't even have oil filters.  Just a cheesy little screen to catch the larger chunks.  You'd never know if they burned oil because they leaked almost constantly.  And not much in the way of compression either.

Amazing how far afar this conversation has gotten!  How did oil filters even get into it?

Installing first of 2 filters in a few minutes.  (Let's see now, where's me rubber gloves?)

8Muddypaws said:
I have a clear plastic bowl with a drain and wish to keep it.  If I had only one filter I'd be lots more concerned about it.  But anything the primary misses will get caught in the secondary (Cat) filter.
You may already know this but the Racor is also a water separator. That clear plastic bowl is where the water goes. That should be drained periodically. If you see a lot of water in there (the water is obvious) check for water in your fuel tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canuk River Rat
Back
Top Bottom