Ram 3500 DRW - need suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jla956

We have looked at the dual rear wheel versions of the Ford 350, the GMC/Chevy 3500, and the Ram 3500. We have driven them all and have finally decided to move forward on the Ram. We believe that this probably will be our last tow vehicle so we want to equip it right so that it will work for us for quite some time.

So, here's where I would like to get some feedback and suggestions from those that have owned or currently own this truck. We have visited dealers all over and due to the lack of inventory we have been repeatedly told that we will need to order one. We are prepared to do that but are not quite sure about some of the options that we can order. So I'm going to list out some options and would like to get your suggestions, along with your reason as to why, so that I will better understand how to proceed.

• We test drove a Laramie version as that was all they had in the 3500 DRW but we did look at some other versions of trucks that they had in a 1500 series. We have narrowed it down to either a Limited Longhorn or a Limited. Recommendations between these two versions?
  • We are leaning toward a 4x4 with a Crew Cab and an 8 foot bed. We're pretty set on the 4x4 but is the 8 foot bed the best choice?
  • We are going with the diesel but there are two options. There is the standard 6.7L Cummins or the HO version of that engine which runs about $3K more. Recommendations?
  • Transmission – 6 speed Aisin was the standard default but I believe that there was another option too?
  • The 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratio?
  • Alternators - three choices. Single–rated at 220 amp (std), Dual–rated at 380 amps, or Dual–rated at 440 amps. Recommendations?
  • The 50-gallon fuel tank option sounds like a no-brainer to me?
  • 17” or 20” wheels – both are standard for no extra charge. Recommendations?
  • A Mopar 20k or 30k hitch is an option but would I be better to look at an aftermarket hitch or just choose one of these?

I'm hoping that there are plenty of Ram owners on here that can help me out with these decisions. I have a chance to get a truck that can be fitted out for us and I don't want to look back a few months down the road and say, "I wish that I had gotten this option, or I sure didn't need this one. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Welcome to the Forum. I don't tow with a Ram dually. But, I'm sure that some of the Ram owner members will soon respond. Just to start, do you plan to tow a fifth wheel or a bumper pull? And, are you planning to tow very heavy trailer?

Well, my Ram was older, in fact an early 6.7L built January 2007. Loved the truck with the 68RFE automatic.
As far as your concerned the motor/transmission choice comes down to how much your towing. The STANDARD 6.7/67RFE is more than capable up to about 15,000 pounds GVWR towing.
Last spring spent a few hours teaching a gal and her mom how to drive and back their new rig. It had the OPTIONAL Aisin. I was really not impressed. In slow maneuvering situations it felt kind of Jerky from a dead stop to about 5MPH.
Now, if I were building a new truck to tow under about 15,000 pounds it would be the STANDARD 6.7L/68RFE with 4.10 rear end, which is what my truck had. In addition I would equipped it with the Laramie trim package, wheel to wheel side steps, folding tonneau cover, and it's a no brainer get the factory hitch plus the 50 gallon fuel tank. Trying to reach into the bed without side steps can be really difficult, and I'm 6'2" tall.
With the 4.10RE you may sacrifice a half MPG in fuel economy, but the trade off is you will be able to cruise all day with the cruise control set with no problem.
The Cummins torque comes on around 1750RPM, so with the 4.10RE you will be into the motors torque curve really fast making pulling away from a dead stop pretty quick.
As for alternator? The standard alternator should be more than sufficient unless your planning on a hundred aux lights or snow plowing.
The wheels? Check out replacement tire prices between the 2 wheel sizes. You will probably find 17 inch tires more readily available and cheaper, who knows.

I will try to keep this in order lol
Pick the interior you like best there is no right ir wrong just personal preferance
8 ft box no brainer - no need for a slider room for a tool box NO CAB STRIKES
Do the HO more performance better resale
TRANS i have a 6spd as that was my only option in 2017 an 8 or 10 speed will give better mileage
Highest amp alts more power is never a bad thing
50 gall tank mine is 40 and and i want the 80gall titan tank
17inch tires all day they are about $200 each the same weight rated 20in are almost double and they both only last 30 000 miles towing a 20
SKIP THE FACTORY HITCH waste of money you can buy a Curt A or Q 25 for half the cost and twice the hitch.

I love the Ram styling and ive owned 22 chevys/gms 6 Fords and there is a reason the Ford is the best selling truck. I will never go back to a GM and a RAM is #3 for a reason. The styling is awesome the looks are great, the Cummins is bullit proof the Asin trans rocks. But the built quality and longevity is so so ( in my opinion) there are others that will disagree and thats ok too. Bottom line i hope you have many miles of fun.

Ps 3:73 gears are way more gas friendly - one of many reasons i have a f350 laramie over a f450 platinum

Last edited:
I have to assume this discussion is about towing a 5th wheel, however you need to tell us what you will be towing, as it can be a deciding factor on engine and other options.

Remember, any option package you add also adds weight to the truck, reducing payload. 4x4 is no exception. Even if you don't use the 4x4 you still need to keep the fluid checked and changed........... however 4x4 is a handy thing to have, especially if you need low range to back up a slope with the trailer, or to get thru sketchy areas. My old RAM is rear wheel drive only, and I can get it stuck in wet grass in the yard without even trying. If I ever get another truck it will be a 4x4.

As far as hitch goes, you need to look at price. You will need the factory puck system.... Look at the price of the hitch as the MOPAR hitch is in fact, the Curt Q20 or Q25(not sure on which), so shop that carefully. It is my understanding that the factory hitch will be the cheaper deal but that is one you will have to figure out, or decide what other hitch you might want.

Curt Q25 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch for Ram Towing Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 24,000 lbs

*Scroll all the way down the page to the Q&A's good info on comparison between the A25 and Q25 and recommendations of other hitches from etrailer people who know the hitches well.*

Newer trucks are not noted for their fuel economy, so the biggest tank is, indeed a no brainer.

Look at the sales literature and package combos. The HO engine comes with the Aisin AS69RC transmission, you don't have a choice in the matter, and is a much heavier duty transmission than the standard one. The Aisin has a much lower first gear than the standard 68RFE and can affect which axle ratio you might consider. This is a good comparison of the two transmissions... Aisin AS69RC vs Chrysler 68RFE Transmission Comparison

As noted above, the 17 inch tires will be easier to locate and cheaper when time comes and should ride smoother with their taller sidewalls.

Alternators are dependent on what you might be planning in the future. Modern vehicles are heavy electric consumers, electric fuel pumps, A/C blowers and clutches, large amounts of electronics, and on diesels, the induction air heater that cycles when you start it up. With my puny little 136 amp alternator, the induction heat grid causes the lights to dim and brighten as it cycles on and off the first couple of minutes, more power is always better.

If you are considering a hugh lithium battery bank in the future, then the addition of heavy gauge cables to a separate connector supplying the trailer will necessitate a high output alternator system, so the dual system will be a big consideration.

Charles

Last edited:
+1 on the Aisin. I have it on my ‘15.
Get the trim you like but… I have a Longhorn. I did not choose the limited because it has a black interior and who wants that in the summer. My truck is white. Good for the south west. I want gray or burgundy on my next.
I would like the Ram boxes And a ‘between the rails” bed cover.
Big tank is a good idea. Pucks are good as it gives you lots of options on hitches. I have a Reese rails kit for my pucks. I have an Anderson hitch on the rails.
Smaller wheels sound good to me. I have 20s.

To get the HO 6.7 cummins I believe you have to have the Aisin tranny in it, which ours does. Ours came with 4.10 rears. I also added a tool box which has a 66 gallon fuel tank with pump for extra fuel. Ours is a 4X4 which we rarely need the 4 wheel drive, but nice to know it's there if you do need it. We also got the 8 foot bed with puck system for hitches which makes it nice. So far ours works great, but we are pulling a large fifth wheel which I would not want anything less than a dually for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom