Ram 6.4 or cummins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patdrury

I have to upgrade my Ram 1500 for a new 2500.

I have limited funds so I can either afford the Ram 6.4 Hemi STL with all the bells and whistle I want or the stripped down Tradesman with the cummins.  I will use the truck for towing an 8000 lb trailer.  I only use the truck for towing about 10% of the time and 90% of the time it is my daily driver.  Yes I would love the diesel but if I get it I can't  afford  to add all the cool things I  want like  big 8.4 radio, rear window, remote start , aluminum wheels, Nav...

So who has towed with the 6.4 and what are your experiences?  What do you like about it? What is you MPG when towing?  If it was you, would you get the fun extras with the gas engine or the stripped down diesel?http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/Smileys/default/shocked.gif

Based on your planned usage, I would probably opt for the gas engine. It should be totally adequate for towing and I like my creature comforts!

A 2500 Mega Cab or Crew Cab with either the 5.7L or the 6.4L will be rated much higher than what you plan to tow.

I agree with Gary.  You should do just fine with the 6.4 and it uses regular unleaded, so there is a savings there for you.  Because the Tradesman is stripped down, I would be reluctant to get a Tradesman, unless I was using it for work.  Creature comforts are awful nice to have when traveling.

Since you're only towing 10% of the time, and at 8000lbs, if it were me I'd opt for the gas engine. I currently own a 2005 cummins powered dodge and will have it until the wheels fall off. But if I were to opt for a new rig, I would go with a gasser. Don't get me wrong, the new Dodge/Cummins truck (to me it will always be a dodge pickup) are great and more than capable, as are both the GM and Ford versions. But finding it real hard to justify $50-$70k on a freakin' pickup truck. And I feel that unless you are working it, or towing heavy with it constantly, it would take many, many years to recoup the extra costs, like initial purchase price, higher maint. costs, and higher fuel costs.

A Dodge 2500 with the 6.4l engine would be an awesome ride!

I own a Cummins....and in your shoes, I'd get the gas truck.  I use mine almost exclusively for towing, you will use yours 10% for towing.  Right tool for the job.

BTW....the Tradesman can be ordered with a lot of the goodie packages without the others.  Mine is a Tradesman, I didn't see a need for heated steering wheel and the HVAC controls in the display where I have to take my eyes off the road to figure them out.  I did get dual alternators with 440 amp charging, electronic shift on the fly 4x4, back up camera, power towing mirrors, integrated trailer brake, XM & Bluetooth, connectivity package, chrome package, the usual power stuff and, of course, the Cummins.  You almost can't buy a "stripped down" truck anymore.  I got it out the door for $47,800 and change.  If I were using it like you, I'd have gotten the 6.4 and got it for high 30's.

Thanks for all your responses.  I like the idea of the cummins but I think wallet and reality will win out and Ill go for the 6.4 unless My powerball number come in.

FYI there is a chance I may upgrade to a light weight 5th wheeler but I would still stay under 10,000 load so I should still be ok.  I  will get the 4:10 and with 3200 payload

I have a 5.7 in a 1500, and have no power problems. I wouldn't think the 6.4 hemi would have an issue pulling 8000 pounds. If you need more power, I would think the 6.4 could be built up a bit more, I think the 6.4 is what they use in the Hellcat Challenger and it has over 700 horsepower from the factory.

markandkim said:
What do you have, an old 1500.

Mine tows 8500lbs with no problem.

My 1500 is rated to pull 10100 the problem is the payload is really low only about 1400.  So I can tow with my current 1500 but the kids and wife have to walk to the campsite :)

patdrury said:
My 1500 is rated to pull 10100 the problem is the payload is really low only about 1400.  So I can tow with my current 1500 but the kids and wife have to walk to the campsite :)

Don't like the idea of the back of the truck squatting and the headlights on anti-aircraft duty??  :)

When I hook my 7800 lbs trailer to my 2500, it squats about 1.5".  Two links on the WD hitch, and it's back to level again.  You'll love how the 2500 pulls vs the 1500....like night and day.  I barely notice it when a semi passes, and where a 20 mph crosswind gave me white knuckles before, the new 2500 manhandles the trailer and I don't even notice them.  Too much truck is a beautiful thing. 

Frizlefrak said:
Don't like the idea of the back of the truck squatting and the headlights on anti-aircraft duty??  :)

When I hook my 7800 lbs trailer to my 2500, it squats about 1.5".  Two links on the WD hitch, and it's back to level again.  You'll love how the 2500 pulls vs the 1500....like night and day.  I barely notice it when a semi passes, and where a 20 mph crosswind gave me white knuckles before, the new 2500 manhandles the trailer and I don't even notice them.  Too much truck is a beautiful thing.

That is funny, but point taken and a good one.

Frizle and I are about the same weight-wise with our trucks and trailers. I got the Lone Star package (SLT with a couple of extras) that makes it a nice truck, without the leather and stuff I don't need. I got mine for $47,000- tax and all... and got above blue book for my trade, so I went for the diesel. I'll sell it when I can't hit the road going RVing anymore... I'll never go back to towing with a gasser... but If you have to, that 6.4 hemi will tow what you are towing.

I have a 2001 Dodge with the Cummins, and a 2013 RAM with the Cummins, but if I were only towing 10% of the time I'd buy a gasser.  Around town driving is not the best thing for a diesel.  Both are 4WD, as a 2WD where I live has a very low resale. 

Personally I would still hold to the diesel. Even stripped down tradesman. I'm also a dual gas an diesel own to this day even with the price of diesel higher the diesel still shine head and shoulders over the gas power truck with mid 20's for MPG. Cost of operation is much lower on the diesel truck vs. the gas powered. The only thing on a diesel to do is change oil and filters that all.

Attachments

• mpg.png
    mpg.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 7
5 mile round trips to the grocery story / work / soccer games 5 times a week doesn't do a diesel any favors though.  When 90% of the usage is daily driver / kid hauler, I'd stick with a gasser. 

As I said previously, I have 2 trucks with Cummins engines, and am biased toward them, but I drive them far enough that they get hot.  Short trips reall are had on them.  When I said buy a gasser it hurt to say it, but for you it is probably the best.

elliott-maine said:
As I said previously, I have 2 trucks with Cummins engines, and am biased toward them, but I drive them far enough that they get hot.  Short trips reall are had on them.  When I said buy a gasser it hurt to say it, but for you it is probably the best.

I love my Cummins....If I had to use it for a daily driver, I could.....13 miles each way to work and back so it would get some exercise....but it wouldn't be my first choice.  Out on the highway or climbing a steep grade with a heavy load, you couldn't ask for a better pulling mule.  Just all comes down to what you're going to use it for primarily.

Frizlefrak said:
5 mile round trips to the grocery story / work / soccer games 5 times a week doesn't do a diesel any favors though.  When 90% of the usage is daily driver / kid hauler, I'd stick with a gasser.

I'm sorry... For me a trip to the grocery store is a 70 mile round trip. To the auto part store is 104 miles round trip. Just to get fuel is 30 miles round trip. The closest town to me or even services is 30 miles round trip. But it only a town of about 300 people. Then the closest WalMart is over about 125 miles away. So comparing fuel logs between the gasoline powered to the diesel the diesel still wins hands down.

But in your case the short 5 miles trips are hard on a diesel.

Give you an idea...
https://goo.gl/maps/iv0H8

Looks like it is pretty heavy for the gasser. I have to go with the same under your percentages. I have a 2010 ram 1500 5.7 pulling a TT of about 6700 loaded. I seldom pull with FW filled. I also am around 10% towing it even though that is in the southern half of Missouri with some decent "hills", not mountains. I have to give the 5.7 credit. It's a hoss of an engine. I'll kick the cruise out for long hills as it wants to downshift and will ultimately gain speed uphill, which isn't needed. And I don't tow in the tow/haul mode much at all. I've been looking at the new Ecodiesel Ram. Know someone that bought one and he said it is awesome. Pulls like crazy and upper 20's just driving daily. 9000+ rated. Just a thought.

I have a 2010 1500 Ram Sport, when we're on summer leave, we weigh in right at around 8000lbs, the only problem is having to stop every 2.5hrs for gas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom