Rate the Bus Converters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom, I did not take your comment as a repremand but I do apoligise about starting a post that had this type of slant to it even though the original post did strike a cord with me.  It is just that the original poster struck me kind of odd as almost every RVer I have met is very down to earth, polite and friendly and not the "Exclusive club member" type of person no matter their income level.  I am a physician and by no means rich compared to many out ther but I am not poor either.  If anybody parks next to me at a camp ground in a 10 foot TT you are welcome at my table any time.  ;D

Understood Gasser and thanks for the clarification. This (online) medium makes it too easy to be misunderstood in our communications (the story of my online life).

FWIW the original message was posted in Sept 2005 and the poster hasn't checked in since Oct 2005.

ryand said:
Hi All,
I'm pretty new to bus conversions and want an unbiased opinion. I'm looking for a big name converter and narrowed it down to 3: Marathon, Vantare (or is it Featherlite?), Liberty. I also heard about Parliament, Millennium ( small operation here in Central Florida) and Royal by Monaco (are they still making those?). Please let me know if I'm missing one. Any information on the following topics would be great!

1.) What are these converters known for? Liberty is? the most expensive, does that mean they're the best? I heard they 'hardwire' their coaches. What is Marathon and Featherlite known for? Does one have any exlusivle bells and whistles that will actually do something for me? Do any of them stick out as better service-providers (customer and technical)?

Expensive does not necessarily mean the best or even the most desirable. ?Basically I would say it is what YOU or your WIFE like best. ?Some conversions use MCI while others use Prevost. ?Which converter is best I can't tell you. ?The biggest thing that turns me off with many of them are they are too glitzy and as Jim mentioned looks like a rolling bordello. ?I have seen some that are very nicely done. ?Now would I be interested in one NO I am not that impressed with them, but then that is just my opinion.

2.) Are there any horror stories about these coaches? If you talk to the dealers they all say their coach is the best and the others fall apart after a year. Any first-hand experiences?

I have no practical experience. ?However I would never want an all electric coach. ?I think many non conversion coaches have more storage space. ?

3.) Who has who? My wife is fairly style-conscious. She doesn't want to be stuck with 'a bunch of rich rednecks.' What stereotypes are each converter associated with? Does anyone know if the younger crowd tends to buy a certain coach?

I think it is up to the individual to choose who they associate with whether it be the snobs always trying to impress others with their latest purchases, Bunch of drunks or worse, or just great folks like you will fine here on the RV Forum. ?Who you associate with is completely your choice.

4.) VIP Clubs: Who has the best party? I don't know if people choose their coach by this criteria, but right now they all look they same to me.

Depends on what your criteria is for a party. ?For us we just had a great time at the RV Forum Moab rally. ?Great people, great activities including off roading, boat tours, hikes, and dinner out from time to time. ?We also had a great time out on the Arizona desert South of Quartzsite at another RV Forum rally.

When you find what you think will work best for you then think about it ask questions do your research then if you feel good about it go for it.

Happy Shopping.

I own a 1969 40' Eagle, converted to a Motor Home in '92.  It had the old Detroit Diesel 8V-71 in it
and going up some of the hills in New Mexico, I was down to like 30 MPH, over as far as I could
get to not impede other travelers.
I had the 8V-71 taken out and put in a 8V-92 Detroit, and it storms up hills now.  It has the 740
Alison Automatic Transmission, Jacob's Engine Brakes, 10KW Kubota/Wrico diesel Generator, etc.
What I like about my Eagle that none (I don't believe) of the others have is it's Torsilastic Suspension,
which makes it not lean going around corners.
The 'big time' Stars demand Eagles so their entertainers aren't thrown out of their bunks while sleeping,
going from one 'gig' to another whenever the driver has to make a turn.
Some of my friends have bus conversions with Air Bags, and are always having trouble with them.
I have over $160,000. invested in my Eagle, but my wife wants Slide-Outs, so I am going to sell it or
try to trade it in on a 40' with at least 3 slide-outs.
The only predicament on trading it in, very few people who sell the beautifully painted, plastic bodied
RV's on truck chassis, know the quality of Eagles, and I have no doubt I'm gonna get 'Screwed'.
You Never see Eagles broke down on the sides of the roads like you do the fancy new ones.
These Eagles are made to run Millions of miles without a wrench being turned on them.  After a
million, they overhaul it, whether it needs it or not, and it goes another million.
I'f you know anyone interested in a Damn Good'un, l'll sell my Eagle outright for $65,000.00, and it
is in Very good condition, and Ready to Roll.  Even has Harley racks on front & rear bumpers.
Thanks,
McCord,  830-257-8450, Kerrville, Texas
[email protected]

I know this is a little late but thought I would add our perspective. We had a Marathon built in 1999 and in 2003 moved into Liberty and and again bought another Liberty in 06. We now have a 08 Country Coach bus. All had there pluses but in my opinion Liberty was the best built and certainly had the better components. Marathon had a great coach but as of late I have watched them become more of a mass producer using roof airs instead of basement units also the fit and finish is not what it was. We wanted  more room so we moved into a Country Coach Magna four slide coach which was the biggest mistake of our lives and as the result of details I won't go into we ended up in a Country Coach Prevost. We did not go into a Marathon 4 slide because the slides are third party and not supported by Prevost which is a big negative in my opinion. I often wish I had kept our 06 Liberty as it was by far a much nicer coach then this new Country Coach Prevost.

Back
Top Bottom