Raton Pass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smith5

We are going to be taking a trip up to Cheyenne Mountain State Park in Colorado from Texas. We will be taking 25 through Raton Pass hauling a 28' Bullet ultra lite with a 2011 5.0 Ford F150. Wondering if this would be too much on the truck and also what to expect from the decent.

From what I can gather with a quick Google search, your trailer weighs around 6400 lbs gross.  Raton pass is steep in places, and it's a long climb / descent.  You'll want to take your time going both ways, but I wouldn't be afraid to do it.  Gear down at the top, and use as little brake as possible.

One caveat....watch the weather reports carefully.  Not uncommon for blizzard conditions all the way through April.

Went over Wolf Creek pass in Colorado many years ago in a rig similar to yours. I went down the pass (headed west) in first gear.  Took a while but my brakes thanked me for it.
Go slow!!

Thank you for the replies and encouragement. My ford has the 5.0 engine. According to the reviews and test drive, it pulled a 9000 Lb trailer through some steep grades. I've pulled a popup with it through the Carolina's but not over and down steep grades. I'm a little nervous about pulling a tt through there but I'm sure once I get through it I'll be okay. I've been trying to get as much info as I can.
Once again thank you for the replies and especially the encouragement.

Wow I looked up Wolfs Pass!
According to what I read, that is rated in the top 10 most dangerous passes. I'd be afraid to even drive it in a truck not towing. The pictures sure were pretty.

What's really a plus in Wolf Creek Pass is going west to cut down to Chama NM after Creed CO. In '94?, I went over the top and was dropping down the mt at 65 mpg, looked to 3 then back to 9 and there was a Cessna slowly moving past me and dropping down too, about 150 yards from my door to wingtip.

What a drive, one I'll never forget!!!

Raton is not a bad pass by any means. Pretty decent road, 2 lanes, and not all that steep. Keep in mind I live in Colorado so I drive passes all the time in my MH. Was just over it in January coming back from QZ. Don't fret over it. You will do fine. :)

Thank you for all the positive replies.
Last night we were looking at googlemaps and lord be hold did I see a picture with a travel trailer decenting down the pass in the right lane. Not too far behind, in the left lane, was a motorcycle. No worries,  THEN i zoomed in and found the skid marks coming from the left lane into the right lane headed for the rocks! Lol l keep it in third all the way down! I really thought it was funny to see that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katjarner
Back
Top Bottom