Ray's new PC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After using Norton products for several years it was about a year ago that I became educated.  As far as reviews by publishers that benefit from ads placed by the companies they are reviewing I just can't see them not giving one of their clients a good review.  I had no idea Norton was slowing down my system and was actually trying to clear up the weird things that was going on Like I said a friend recommended removing Norton and in passing mentioned that I would notice an increase in performance with Norton remove.  I did remove, I did see improvement.  Convinced me.

Ron said:
After using Norton products for several years it was about a year ago that I became educated.  As far as reviews by publishers that benefit from ads placed by the companies they are reviewing I just can't see them not giving one of their clients a good review.  I had no idea Norton was slowing down my system and was actually trying to clear up the weird things that was going on Like I said a friend recommended removing Norton and in passing mentioned that I would notice an increase in performance with Norton remove.  I did remove, I did see improvement.  Convinced me.

Ron, thanks for the feedback . . .  :)

Ned, I'm sure "common sense" works for you - and many others as well. For me, I'm a bit naive where common sense is concerned. I feel like I ought to be able to click on a news site and be safe. However, I have found, most of them will install one or more "programs" that are beneficial to them. I feel like I have been violated. Why don't they ask if I mind? Then I can make a common sense decision.

I have a lot of friends who send me E-Mail of "interest." It's jokes - pictures - amazing stories - you name it. Along with them I get the social diseases these things pick up, in transit. I need a firewall and a steralizing program. Otherwise, my computer life would be even shorter.

Getting great insight on this thread. Love it! Not getting into the debate. Just sitting here, soaking it all up. Then, I'll make a better - common sense for me - decision.

Appreciate all of you and thank you.

Ray D  ;D

Ray,

I have a policy of not opening any forwarded mail.  I use Mailwasher which allows me to decide whether I want ti bring in mail or not.  Any mail with FD or FWD or FW gets dumped and never arrives on my computer.  Oh don't send any greeting cards to me because I do not accept them either.

Rona and Shayne, I certainly understand where you're coming from. I do some of the same.

However, there are special people who, having little to say, really, still want to say "hello." So, I "talk" to them. I read their jokes, look at their pictures - whatever. I never forward/forward/forward. However, sometimes I see a neat pic that someone would like, and I E-Mail it to them. I process it out of the E-Mail it came in and send it. It gets scanned, on my computer, first.

My largest group has 6 prople. My smallest has 5. I have four groups of people with similar interests. Keeps me in touch.

Now and then, there is a problem with an E-Mail from one of them. I notify that person and express my sympathy - to give them a chance to clean it up. In the past, Norton has caught that for me. I've done pretty well, all things considered - from my own point of view.

Even here, on RVForum, we have had at least one bad guy intrusion. It was a donnybrook. I was one of those who got the disgusting pictures. As a result, we still have PM shut down for most of us. The point is that it really can happen to anyone.

There was never a horse that couldn't be rode. And, there was never a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

So, I need help, defending myself from internet thugs. Getting a lot of it, here - and grateful for it.

Ray D  ;D

Ned said:
No program will make you absolutely secure.  Only common sense can do that.  If you practice what I call safe computing you won't need antivirus software and additional firewalls other than the built in one in XP.  Keep in mind that the security people are always working in reactive mode.  By the time you get the update, the malware has already been in the wild.

Don't open unexpected attachments, lock down your browser, don't use Internet Explorer unless you know how to really secure it, don't read email in HTML preferably using an email client like Thunderbird and not Outlook or Outlook Express, both of which are insecure, and just plain think before clicking on a link to someplace you haven't been before.  I haven't run any antivirus program nor any firewall other than the XP firewall for several years and I've never had a virus, a trojan, a bot, nor any other malware on any of my computers.

What Ned said. He is echoing what all the computer experts that I listen to on podcasts say. Also, if you have a router between your internet connection and your computer it is the best firewall you can have.

As Ned said.....NOTHING BEATS PRACTICING SAFE COMPUTING

I have a Linksis router hooked to cable. However, the three computers now on it all have wireless connections. It's a little "home WIFI" system. Or, so I am told.

I was under the impression that it is possible for that to be picked up - by, say, someone parked beside my house. My son has done something to it that is suposed to block that problem, but he tells me that is not absolutely certain. Just makes theft more difficult.

Is he wrong?

Ray D  ;D

Ray D said:
I have a Linksis router hooked to cable. However, the three computers now on it all have wireless connections. It's a little "home WIFI" system. Or, so I am told.

I was under the impression that it is possible for that to be picked up - by, say, someone parked beside my house. My son has done something to it that is suposed to block that problem, but he tells me that is not absolutely certain. Just makes theft more difficult.

Is he wrong?

Ray D  ;D

No, he isn't wrong. If he is using WPA encryption its next to impossible but nothing is 100%. But we are talking about things getting on your computer coming in over the internet. You get infected that way by opening attachments in emails. The best thing you can do is shut off HTML in email. Send and receive ONLY TEXT emails. The jokes that your "friends" send you, even if they are infected, will do nothing if you have HTML shut off. Malware cant infect your computer from a text message.

Dang I wish I had some of the knowledge you gent possess.  Ray I also has the same set up,  I think.  The neighbors say my signal is stronger than the once in their house.

Shayne, we pick up a number of signals, here. We could use them, I guess, but we don't. Don't need to, and it wouldn't feel right.

Alaska. Still chewing on your post. HTML, only, would mean the end of E-Mail pictures, (?) and no attachments would be difficult. For example, I have mentioned elsewhere that I volunteer for the Police Department, here. (I am going to retire again, next month, so this won't be a long term issue. Ten years as a wannabe cop!) Anyway, I get forms, as attachments, as necessary - fill them out and return them, as attachments.

There is a lot of other stuff in attachment traffic on that count, as well. I'd hate to do without it and no one is going to type it, just for me. Well, maybe a few would, once in a while - but I'd have a heck of a time keeping up on all the scuttlebutt. Without pictures, how would I get my ATL posters, so I know who I'm looking for?

Worse, Norton has grabbed two viruses, so far, from that traffic. One, recently! Now, there's a surprise!

Still thinking.  :-\

Ray D  ;D

Ray D said:
Alaska. Still chewing on your post. HTML, only, would mean the end of E-Mail pictures, (?) and no attachments would be difficult. For example, I have mentioned elsewhere that I volunteer for the Police Department, here. (I am going to retire again, next month, so this won't be a long term issue. Ten years as a wannabe cop!) Anyway, I get forms, as attachments, as necessary - fill them out and return them, as attachments.

Sorry, I didn't make make myself clear. Don't open attachments unless you know their origin.

Worse, Norton has grabbed two viruses, so far, from that traffic. One, recently! Now, there's a surprise!

But then if you're getting viruses from the police department I don't know what to tell you.  ???  ???  ???

Without pictures, how would I get my ATL posters, so I know who I'm looking for?

Pictures can be sent without being embedded in the text.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
But then if you're getting viruses from the police department I don't know what to tell you.  ???  ???  ???

Yeah, that's kind of embarrassing! Wanna know what's worse? It's when a bad guy steals your patrol vehicle!  :eek:  :eek:  ::)  :D  (Wasn't mine; a friend. He may never live it down!)  :D  :D  ;D  I am careful to always take my keys with me. The PD is not immune from being victimized. Go ahead and laugh. We do!!!

Ray D  :D  ;D

Plain text email doesn't preclude attachments, but it does prevent scripting which is one of the major sources of malware infections.  If you have something that really needs HTML to show, then put it on a web server and email the link.

As for browsing, I use Firefox and a number of extensions.  The most useful for protection are Adblock and NoScript.  NoScript blocks all scripting except for those sites that I allow it.  I can go to any web site and not worry about it installing malware without my knowledge.

As for wireless, if you're using WPA, preferably WPA2, your network is as secure as you can make it today.  Any other so called security mechanisms, like non-broadcast of SSID and MAC filtering, are useless to anyone wanting to infiltrate your network and only make it more difficult for legitimate users to have access.  As Don points out, don't connect your computer directly to the broadband mode, but use a router, even if you only have one computer.  Most consumer routers have a firewall and other features that will protect you from outside probes and attacks.  The Windows firewall, while not the strongest, is also pretty good defense against outside attacks.

However, once the malware gets inside, by running an executable attachment or allow a malicious web site to run scripts, all bets are off.  A software firewall may catch those, but there are many ways for a malicious program to get through even those.  So the answer is don't let the bad guys in in the first place.

Wish I knew what the heck you were talking about   It's Greek to me.  with all the fires over there the smoke message is the same and computer language - Cloudy at best.

Ron said:
Ray,
I have a policy of not opening any forwarded mail.  I use Mailwasher which allows me to decide whether I want ti bring in mail or not.  Any mail with FD or FWD or FW gets dumped and never arrives on my computer.  Oh don't send any greeting cards to me because I do not accept them either.

Oh, THAT explains why you never cashed that electronic check that I sent you!    ;)  ;D

Ron said:
Without going into details I strongly suspect that if you take the suggestions about not getting a PC that does not come with the OS disk a Dell will not be in your future anyway. ;)

I've owned Dell desktops and always been very happy with them. I'm currently researchning laptops and looking at Dell... not convinced one doesn't get a a lot more bang for the buck with a desktop than a laptop so I'm thinking this one through heavily.

But to address your point, every Dell I've had came with ALL the required CDs - OS, drivers, any purchased software, etc. I wouldn't buy anything without them.

djbaxter said:
But to address your point, every Dell I've had came with ALL the required CDs - OS, drivers, any purchased software, etc. I wouldn't buy anything without them.

That may have been in the past but from what I understand all you get now is a recover disk.

While I have never personally owned a Dell I had way too much experience with them in my previous life.  Sure glad I had an opportunity to learn about Dell products before I got stuck with one.

But then it would sure be a boring world if everyubody liked the same things. ;D ;D  Personal preferences.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldlawnman
Back
Top Bottom