Re: Riding the rapids in a jet boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
These message were split off from the Brewers' trip report here.

Thanks for the report Betty and thanks to Russ for the photos. I'm afraid you wouldn't get me on that boat in those waters; It's definitely an accident waiting to happen (remember your story about the Kern River?)

Glad to see you were wearing PFDs aka life vests, and really glad you're both safe.
[edit]Added link.[/edit]

But all of that said it will be a while  before Terry gets me into another thrill ride.

LOL Betty, I was just relieved that you were both safe. Glad I wasn't there, because I'd have been pleading with you not to take the trip.

Call me paranoid, but your description of the ride tells me that skipper is somewhat irresponsible putting that boat abeam of the rapids. One thing to remember with any jet boat is that it requires power to steer; No power, no steering. If you look at the 6th photo, the jet drive (aka pump) is out of the water, which means that, at that time, the skipper had zero control of the boat. If the engine cut out, same result - no steering.

It would be interesting to know how the licensing authorities and his insurance company view the skipper's safe driving. I'm assuming he was a licensed captain and that he was insured  ???

Tom said:
One thing to remember with any jet boat is that it requires power to steer; No power, no steering. If you look at the 6th photo, the jet drive (aka pump) is out of the water, which means that, at that time, the skipper had zero control of the boat. If the engine cut out, same result - no steering.

Oh gawd  now you tell me.  The skipper does have insurance and has been in business here for 15 years.  He does a huge business with cruise ship passengers.  But with your words NOW I won't ever  do this trip again.

Betty

Tom, The jet boat stern out of water shots were at the end of the 360 degree spin in "calm" water and were due to my reaction time failing to catch the action sooner.

Hi Russ.

Appreciate the comment. Obviously I wasn't there, but Betty's description was enough to convince me I wouldn't be taking a ride on this boat....

Mark the driver ( and owner of company)  took us out directly into the thrashing current, made a sharp circular turn into a  wave  and we were swamped .... He talked to us about the whirlpools and then let us experience them.  He took us over the rapids again and again and then out to the calm river.  ....  Each trip over the rapids created this wave that reminded me of swimming in large surf  in the ocean and having a huge wave crash right on your head.

FWIW sharp turns in smooth water can and will get one in trouble, as evidenced by some of the videos of jet boat accidents here, and others occurred while shooting the rapids.

Hopefully, Transport Canada will have a word in this guy's ear before he &/or his passengers get seriously hurt, or worse.

As I said, call me paranoid, but I have a very healthy respect for the power of water.

Tom, for what it's worth, and I've never been on that particular boat, these rapids are unique.  There are no rocks or other hazards, other than the power of the water, in fact I think there's about 60 to 75 feet debth where these manouvers take place.  I too do not particularly like jet boats for the same reasons that you mention, but it is not really all that unsafe since the worst that would happen is that they would float out to the Bay, or up river.  The boat is designed to stay upright, there is nothing to break it up, and loss of power merely forces them to go with the flow.  In fact most years, this boat quietly rescues inexperienced boaters/kayakers who get into trouble.

I hear you Ed, but he might be the one being rescued sooner or later.

I have to smile at the "jet boats are safe" comments here though; When I posted photos of a forum member's jet boat a few months ago, folks here told me they're unsafe  ???

We spend a lot of time on the water and see lots of jet boat and jet ski accidents. Occasionally, I'll report one of the accidents here. Numerous friends have jet boats; Some are responsible drivers, while others are less so. Jet "vessels" are designed to skim the surface and are therefore inherently unstable. Speed and sharp maneuvers might be cute for someone who has little regard for personal safety, but they have no place where a commercial tour vessel and passenger safety are concerned.

The name on the stern of the boat says a lot about the attitude of this operator, and is congruent with Betty's reported observations.

the worst that would happen is that they would float out to the Bay, or up river

I'd say that's the least that would happen if the passengers were ejected from the boat. Even with life preservers, drowning is a real possibility in those fast waters, as is hypothermia.

Apologies if I sound like I'm lecturing but, since we live and play on the water, we see and talk to numerous folks who believe this stuff can't happen to them. They always rationalize their behavior.

Our local paper has a column called "Bonehead boater". This operator would be a good candidate for an article.

In that photo with the jet boat's stern out of the water, even if the boat had a prop, either outboard or stern-drive, he would not have control briefly as his prop would be cavitating at that point.  Perhaps it's not so much the boat as it is the operator and the conditions.

Steve

Perhaps it's not so much the boat as it is the operator and the conditions.

Absolutely correct Steve, and that was my main point. Jet boat hulls add to the problem by being so light, having very little draft, and being inherently unstable. OTOH all vessels, from small tenders to large super tankers, are at the mercy of the power of water.

Tom I normally don't reply to these type of alarmist thread. THe Jet boat ride in Saint John (in my back yard) had to go through years of paper work etc just to get approval to operate. I tried to find some of the info that had been posted a few years ago when he started up about the boat. it is not an off the shelf jet boat. and from your jet boat accidents video's not designed for speed. much deeper hull and draft. yes it is still a jet boat and still at the mercy of the water. but so is a canoe. I think your comment that the driver should not be operating a tour boat maybe a bit harsh. perhaps you might like to contact the owner and find out a bit more info. check it out at http://www.jetboatrides.com.

and sometimes acting evil is just part of the show :)

1275gtsport said:
and sometimes acting evil is just part of the show :)

There is no doubt in my mind that his showmanship "of acting evil " was part of the show.  The ride was advertised as a thrill ride and it was a thrill. There were numerous large postings of the potential risks in this ride.  Persons with heart, or back problems were excluded as were pregnant women. I did  learn of his long search to get permits, insurance etc.  and that prior to his 15 years of operation here, he ran a jet boat ride event in Quebec so he has some experience. 
I do think it is prudent for us to consider all risks before deciding to have so much fun.  For me, it was an educational trip as well as I learned first hand how powerful tides can be.  I'm not so sure I would repeat this trip but now each person can make their own  better informed decision about whether or not to participate. 
Tom brings out excellent points about navigation on water and the risks. These are things I had not even considered and now I will when thinking of any future water event.

Betty

ps.  GTsport  We love your city.  In fact  we have extended our stay here in Saint John to take in New Brunswick Musuem and revisit the City market and few more things just as soon as it quits raining.

GTsport, thanks for the link. I'm not sure what I'd achieve by contacting the operator; He's unlikely to  tell me he puts his passengers at risk. If Transport Canada thinks he's a safe operator of a safe tourist attraction, then all must be well.

....these type of alarmist thread

Sorry to hear you believe I'm an alarmist. Maybe you should read the original message that catalyzed my response. As I've said several times, I'm paranoid, having seen and heard of many accidents.

Coincidentally, a number of long-time boaters (including current jet boat owners) and RVers were at our home last evening, and someone started a discussion that parallels this one. I hasten to add that I didn't start the discussion. There were some very interesting comments that, if inserted into this discussion, would support some of my paranoia.

This morning I've arranged a "thrill boat ride" for a couple of visiting forum members; Maybe I should take some photos and post them later.

Tom:

I gather you think Sue and I should skip the boat ride next week?  ;D

We only got as far as Sue hearing Betty's comments on having a bad back.

Jeff, personally, I think the rope trick was far more dangerous, particularly since it is brand new.  This jet boat has been doing this for years.

After looking at the photos I was very impressed.  Impressed so much I think they guy will end up killing or at least seriously injuring somebody sooner or later.  Fortunately it wasn't while mmebers of our framily were on board.

Hfx_Cdn said:
Jeff, personally, I think the rope trick was far more dangerous, particularly since it is brand new.  This jet boat has been doing this for years.

Ed:

Sue didn't worry about her back on the zip lines but is planning on skipping the boat because of it.  Just a question of what you want to do. ;D

"This morning I've arranged a "thrill boat ride" for a couple of visiting forum members; Maybe I should take some photos and post them later."

I assume you are talking about the ride Tim and I took this morning? Thrill Ride? it was a wonderful leisurely stroll through the Delta and Tim, Charlie and I loved every minute of it.  However, we did see jet skiis and wave runners zipping all over the place trying to "jump" the boat's wake.  It was fun to watch; but you wouldn't catch me or Tim doing that sort of stuff.  I saw several dangerous things I wouldn't do in a boat.

BTW, an ambulance and 2 fire trucks plus 2 sheriffs cars came through the campground late this afternoon heading to the marina.  There was a rescue helicopter in the air as well.  Did you hear of anything on the news?

Marsha~

Did you hear of anything on the news?

Sorry Marsha, we left the house shortly after you and Tim, and we only just returned. I'll check the late news.

Tom said:
GTsport, thanks for the link. I'm not sure what I'd achieve by contacting the operator; He's unlikely to  tell me he puts his passengers at risk. If Transport Canada thinks he's a safe operator of a safe tourist attraction, then all must be well.

the reason I thought you might contact the operator was to find out more about the boat construction and hull design.

when I first read your comments here i felt the "tone" was sort of a direct attack on the owner/operator of the tour. which I felt was unfounded as you had not personality experienced the tour. (that was the alarmist part) in the video links most of the boats are in a race, which adds even more risk as the operators are now focused on winning not being safe.

I agree that water is far more powerful then most people think and that all care and precautions should be taken. and even then things can go wrong. the duck boats that have sunk comes to mind of things going wrong on a "safe" boat tour.

Way back when I was in high school I built a windmill class sail boat. I learned very quickly that wind and water are an incredible force that must be respected. I was not trying to discount that in this thread. as I said I thought the thread had a different tone to it. sort of the "we must ban skate boards because you might fall off and hurt yourself" tone. today when i read it again there is more of a "make sure you know the risk before having fun" tone. off the soapbox now returning you to your regular program

Adam

I gather you think Sue and I should skip the boat ride next week?

That's a personal choice you make Jeff. After reading some of the responses to my earlier comments, I won't share my thoughts. If you're unsure, you could contact Transport Canada for their advice. Alternatively, you could ask the boat operator  ;D

Have a safe boat trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofty
Back
Top Bottom