Re: Torque vs. Horsepower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The CG ice breaker Mackinaw (the original) was driven by 3 large electric motors powered by matching diesel powered generators.  She's now a museum in Mackinaw City, MI, and worth a visit if you ever get that way.

Most modern cruise ships use a turbine electric hybrid. and the still only get around 6 to 8 " per gallon.

Wayne

Tom we think alike, I will also pull my engines and install two 10 HP outboards, now I will have more room once the 350 gallon tanks are gone!

56kz2slow said:
Is that 6 to 8 inches per gallon?

Yes that is what the captain said on the Pride of America on my last cruise. It was also in the NCL brochure.

wayne

Ned I thinks the new Polar class breaker works the same way, diesel motors power electric motor drive (trolling motors) and one turbine for the thick stuff.

The original Mackinaw had 2 stern propellers for drive and one in the bow to pull the water from under the ice.

SCVJeff said:
Wasn't that Indianapolis in the early 60's. The thing was ridiculous fast but they always had trouble keeping it running. Then there was the fuel...
I believe that you are correct, was very fast, but I think It was breaking one part all the time, not sure, starting to lose something, you know old age and all. ;D

crosscountry said:
Bring out the gloves..

Kevin, I like your location, we have stayed there several times and enjoy watching the barges.

All  I know is my ISB 275 hauled my full size Chevy Van (loaded around 6000lb) over the Mt's in El Paso and the Grapevine in Calif on I 5.  We did however drop back to 35mph and enjoyed the scenery.

Russ
we love it there too, sometimes the simple things in life, make it worth living. I just like to stir the pot alittle I would love to slow down and enjoy the scenery too, our problem is we only have so much time to get where we are going, and to get back home. Maybe someday I will be able to slow down a bit, until then hammer down,oh how I love the Torque ;D

Hey if that thing could fit in our MH we wouldn't be having a Torque vs Horsepower thread, who cares it would have everything you could want, and more. On the other hand, we might be having a How bad is your fuel mileage thread going. ;D

kevin said:
I believe that you are correct, was very fast, but I think It was breaking one part all the time, not sure, starting to lose something, you know old age and all. ;D

The Turbo car that raced at Indy one year.. Yes it was very fast.. On the last lap it  broke a part in the transmission, I forget if the part was $0.25 or $1.25 but it was less than $5.00, and the car did fail to complete the race

The engine was fine, was the tranny that trashed

Everything that Mc2guy states is correct, and yes a 350hp gasser WILL outclimb a 275hp diesel if af course the motor is actually turning at it's peak rpm for hp.
However, and I did not read every reponse in this thread to see if someone mentions this, the diesel rating might not be what is ACTUALLY what is under the hood.  I know from my experience in the diesel industry (farming for the most part) that the hp rating is often less than what is delivered.
I bought a remanned N14 from cummins and is was rated at 428hp, after break-in, it had slightly more that 475.  I suspect this is fairly common with diesels and NOT with gassers.  I would also guess that if a gasser has had a few miles on it, it may be less than rated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChrispyjCSLT22
Back
Top Bottom