Ready Brute Elite RV Tow Bar System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seville

I'm new to the "Toad" world. We bought a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited to tow. We have a 37ft. Santara Diesel Pusher 275hp.  Been looking at tow bars and base plate as well as brake systems. OVERWHELMED to say the least. I have air brakes BUT the NSA Ready Brute Elite system is mechanical surge type. SIMPLE or seems to be.

I would like to know if anyone has one or knows someone that has one. Would like to know if it really works as well as they say.  ANY and ALL HELP will be EXTREMELY HELPFUL.

Many thanks
Doug

I've used our ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system on two toads so far, with zero complaints over 40,000 plus towing miles. I prefer Blue Ox base plates, but NSA will supply the appropriate arm ends for any of the other popular base plates as well. The brake system is simple and effective, with very little maintenance needed.

We used a Ready Brute when towing a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (2 dr) with my old 2000 class C.  Never had a lick of trouble with it and always felt it did a good job of braking the Jeep.  We no longer have the class C or Jeep, but my experience with the Ready Brute was good.

Attachments

• 2011-02-20-17-02-19.JPG
    2011-02-20-17-02-19.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 37
I've had the Ready Brute on two different MH's, a Class C and now a Class A, for five years towing a 2005 Jeep GC and it has worked flawlessly.

The haters will explain that a surge braking system "must" apply the toad's brakes every time you travel down a significant grade. My 4,500 pound Jeep still has the same tires and the braking components haven't been touched during the five years I have had it.

The Ready Brute is heavy, but then, I seldom remove it from the MH.

Quillback 424 said:
I've had the Ready Brute on two different MH's, a Class C and now a Class A, for five years towing a 2005 Jeep GC and it has worked flawlessly.

The haters will explain that a surge braking system "must" apply the toad's brakes every time you travel down a significant grade. My 4,500 pound Jeep still has the same tires and the braking components haven't been touched during the five years I have had it.

The Ready Brute is heavy, but then, I seldom remove it from the MH.
I wouldn't call the 40 lb aluminum ReadyBrute Elite exactly "heavy", since it does weigh about the same as other tow bars with similar towing weight capacities that don't include the braking capability. Like you though, I rarely remove it anyway.

My Ready Brute is heavy.

If you take the stated weight of 40 lb for the Ready Brute Elite and add the weight of two Blue Ox triple lug base plate adapter brackets, a pair of coiled safety cables, a brake cable and three clevis pin locks, then the total weight exceeds the weight allowed for one person to lift in my previous industry.

While that would have been considered heavy when I was thirty, at seventy I try to avoid lifting it.

I have used mine for 3 different motor homes and 3 different Jeeps.  This time it is a JKU 4 door that weighs in at about 5000 pounds.  The Ready Brute pulls and stops it with ease, and hook ups are a snap.  Highly recommended.

I would like to thank all of you that responded about the Ready Brute tow system.  I was rather surprised that anyone responded only because I have tried other RV sites with no help. This truly the BEST SITE for RV'ers.

Again Thanks To ALL.
Doug

Seville said:
I would like to thank all of you that responded about the Ready Brute tow system.  I was rather surprised that anyone responded only because I have tried other RV sites with no help. This truly the BEST SITE for RV'ers.

Again Thanks To ALL.
Doug

Yup, we tend to do that here!

Seville said:

Again Thanks To ALL.
Doug
I've had the same experience.  That is why I am here.

SargeW said:
I have used mine for 3 different motor homes and 3 different Jeeps.

Sarge,
We have over time acquired a BlueOx Alladin tow bar, older version Brake Buddy and more recently a 2003 Jeep Liberty that has a RoadMaster base plate.  Have located the adapter for the BlueOx/RoadMaster match up, but would like to eliminate the Brake Buddy, hence the ReadyBrute interest.  Did you use the complete Ready Brute tow bar and brake assembly or the adapter I could use the BlueOx towbar with ??  Any thoughts or comments?

Anyone using the adapter with another brand tow bar?

Howard

Hi Howard, at first I used the Ready Brute adapter with a Blue Ox tow bar. I had 3 failures with the tow bar.  Even though I specifically asked Blue Ox if this type of braking system was causing a problem with their tow bar, they said NO. No problem at all.  The last failure was catastrophic, the tow bar snapping in half.  The cable on the Ready Brute saved the Jeep from careening out of control.  It just locked the brakes, and the Jeep stopped in the lane. 

My personal preference is the Ready Brute Elite. One tow bar, with incorporated braking system.  I have pics of the failure, I can provide if you want.  I made an extensive forum post when it occurred.

SargeW said:
... at first I used the Ready Brute adapter with a Blue Ox tow bar. I had 3 failures with the tow bar.  My personal preference is the Ready Brute Elite. One tow bar, with incorporated braking system.

Thanks Marty ... that puts a different light on things ... I could do without that sort of excitement!  I'll look for the forum post.

Howard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnvista
Back
Top Bottom