ReadyBrute Elite Towbar - Stay away?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drisley

Been researching best options to prep a CRV for tow. And been thinking about the ReadyBrute Elite, with the integrated surge brake.

The reviews seem to be quite good. But, its an interesting thing...

I've talked to two installer. Both were less than enthused about it. One was even listed as a distributor for NSA.

One said it had gotten more complicated on new vehicles so they don't really recommend it anymore.
The other point blank said that if I want to avoid problems, stay away from cable systems.

Both of them were recommending I go with an electrical brake like Invisibrake or SMI.

Why are the opinions so at odds here?

Possibly profit, possibly simply what they have observed.

I've been using a ReadyBrute Elite for more than two years and am very happy with it. I've never heard anyone complain about one.

Edit: Oh... also possible that running the brake cable thru the front clip and firewall to the brake pedal is more complicated on some vehicles.  On a Jeep Wrangler it is pretty simple.

Running the brake cable can be a bit of a challenge on some cars, but I've yet to see one where it couldn't be done with a little ingenuity. On one installation that an RV dealer said couldn't be done because the brake lines were right where the ideal hole location would be, all I did was use a wood block the spread the lines enough to slip a short pipe nipple in as a drill guide. After the hole was drilled the same block kept the lines apart while the cable and fitting were inserted and locked down. Steel brake and fuel lines are bendable without a lot of effort. I've also done an install on a double firewall by drilling a larger hole on the inside layer so the nut that secures the fitting could be tightened on the single outer layer. The inner hole was then filled with butyl putty.

As far as problems with the cable system go, I've towed two different toads using the same cable setup for over 40,000 miles. All problem free. There is very little that can go wrong with the ReadyBrake/ReadyBrute setup, especially when compared to all the mechanical and electronic components in most other auxiliary brake systems.

Yeah, running the cables for a surge-type brake system can be a challenge on newer cars. Lots of stuff up front to get in the way, especially on front wheel drive vehicles. The Ready brake works fine if they can get it in OK, though. Back in the day there used to be problems with the cables themselves, e.g. dirt and stretch/wear, but that has pretty much been licked with modern materials and tech. But now it is simply challenging to run the cables on many vehicles. I would guess (but have no personal knowledge) that the CRV would be one of those.

I installed  a Ready Brute on a 2008 Nissan Versa. Routing the cables was challenging, but once it was done, the system worked perfectly for the six years I owned it. On my first trip with this setup, a guy was stopped on the shoulder on I5. He pulled out right in front of me, and I had to make a panic stop. When I slammed on the the brakes on the MH, I expected the towed to pass me up, but she stopped nice as you please, no problems. After that, I trusted the system completely. It served me well. It is simple, relatively economical and has no computers, batteries, motors or other high-tech gear to go wrong. Check the cables regularly, to make sure they are at the proper length, and you should have trouble free service for a good long time. In addition NSA gave me very good customer service.

Perhaps it is the hassle factor for these people. The first one (the one who is an NSA distributor) said they would do it, however the "out the door" price on the full package was pretty darn close (within maybe $300) of the cost of the package that included the SMI Duo brake system. So, basically, any savings I would see going with the ReadyBrute were eaten up by labor.

It seems many people install the ReadyBrute themselves. Just not sure if that's my thing. :) I've changed oil a few times, but I'm generally the guy who just takes it to the shop and pays the $30. ;) Not sure I trust my mechanical skills enough to run this cable through what is likely a pretty compact engine compartment on this CRV. I'd prefer to throw some money at it and just have the whole thing done.

My 2014 CR-V was set up for ReadyBrute at an installer in Houston and he didn't indicate that there were any issues.  This is the second toad we've used the device with in the >55,000 miles we've full-timed in the past 5+ years.

I too have used the Ready Brute system for many years and over 3 different motor homes and 4 different Jeeps. As the Jeeps got newer, there were more obstacles to address, but none were deal breakers. As already said, the beauty of the system is simplicity. There is very little to go wrong, and therefore it always works when you need it. 

Anything electrical can fail, not work, or work too well (lock up due to malfunction). I can test mine every time I hook up simply by tugging the cable a bit. 

I have always installed my own though. That way I know that it is installed just like I want it.
Just my opinion though.

I've had the Ready Brute for the last 8 years with 2 motorhomes and 4 vehicles(2002 Miata, 2010 Honda Fit, 2013 Miata and my Dodge). I just put the new cable on my 2015 Dodge Ram with no problems whatsoever. I like the simplicity of the set up and would buy another one.

Ok, the problem with the cable operated systems like Ready Brake (not the tow bar but the braking system) is the same as the problem with your parking brake on a car,,, Most cars it is such a system.

Over time the cable rusts and binds and once you set the parking brake, if, that is, you can even set it, it will not release...

Same with the ready brute.

however there are two or 3 ways to prevent this or at least help prevent it, and one more thing that will avoid a problem due to it.

1; Lubrication... You need a special tool (Get it at a motorcycle shop) For lubrication of cables, but it can be done

2: Regular use.. I'm a full timer and once I get the MH fixed it will be odd for me to go a month without towing, 2 weeks in fact is the longest parked in one spot normally due to teh way I camp

3: Stay away from SALT  (Ok, so the cars I had to put new parking brake cables in were driven in MICHIGAN)

and to prevent issues.. Know your system and inspect it often, make sure the cable moves freely and if it does not DISCONNECT from the brake pedal and replace it  Once it is in place it is not all that hard to replace the cable.

Drisley, the same thing happened to me. I first went to a local RV service center. They had never heard of the Ready Brake! Then I went to a local hitch installer who has been in business for 30 years with nothing but positive reviews. I wanted to install the Ready Brake and he simply said, "That thing is junk" He recommended and installed an SMI brake instead which works great, but I always wonder why he was so sure of his opinion.

motoxbob said:
  Drisley, the same thing happened to me. I first went to a local RV service center. They had never heard of the Ready Brake! Then I went to a local hitch installer who has been in business for 30 years with nothing but positive reviews. I wanted to install the Ready Brake and he simply said, "That thing is junk" He recommended and installed an SMI brake instead which works great, but I always wonder why he was so sure of his opinion.
Likely anything he doesn't sell is "junk". There are far too many ReadyBrake systems in use by happy owners for them to be labeled "junk". I've run into more than one RV shop that doesn't like the ReadyBrake units, but when you pin them down, about the only reason they can come up with is that something that simple can't possibly be any good. The ones that have actually tried one usually become believers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom