REALLY stupid question about filling up with water ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thesmiths

Okay, I'm a complete newbie and I'm sure this has a simple answer .... but where do you fill up your RVs with water?  Is it at the campsites etc you stay at?  Is it included in the price of staying there?  And also, what do you do about emptying your toilet/sewage etc?  Is it at the campsite again?

Sorry for such a stupid question!

Welcome. IT is not a stupid question. There are dump stations all over the country that allow you to dump your holding tanks and fill with fresh water either for free or a small cost. You can do the same at any campsite with hookups. Here is a web site that lists thousands of dump stations in the US and abroad:

http://www.sanidumps.com/sanidumps_usamerica.php

Welll...it depends! 

Some sites have full hook ups so you can run a hose from the faucet to your RV and not have to fill the fresh water tanks.

Others have water available which means you can pull in to a "community" faucet and fill from there. 

Others have no water.

I like to have at least some water in the tank while on the road so the toilet can be flushed & hands washed.  Water is heavy so depending on how large your tank is, you can add several hundred pounds to your total weight.

Campgrounds either have dump stations or they don't.  For example, campsites in Custer State Park don't according to the websites.  There are dump stations at many of the truck stops though but there might be a fee to use them.  I've not run across campgrounds that charge a fee though. 

You don't want to dump the black tank unless it's at least 2/3 full and it's best to dump it first then the gray.  If it's not full enough to dump when you want to, you can always add water to it.  In fact, the black tank needs a lot of water to properly dump everything.  Dumping the gray after the black cleans out the hose.

Make sure to use a water hose appoved for drinking water if you intend to drink from the water supply.

When you get a site the minimum for an RV is usually water and electric. Get a drinking water hose and you can hook up to the water on site. I will usually put a few gallons in the freshwater tank for travel in case we need to stop and use the bathroom. I don't like to travel with it full since it's 48 gallons and in front of the axles. That's a lot of extra weight and weight on the hitch. When I knew I would be at a place with no hookups I would find a place close to my destination and fill it there.

where do you fill up your RVs with water?  Is it at the campsites etc you stay at?  Is it included in the price of staying there?  And also, what do you do about emptying your toilet/sewage etc?  Is it at the campsite again?

I agree with Tom - it's not stupid if you don't know the answer.  And, in this case, it's a pretty important thing to know!  We fill with water at many places, starting at home before our trip.  Many campsites have hookups, some are called full hookups with water, electric, sewer, and maybe cable TV.  Others are partial, perhaps with water and electric or only water or only electric.  The full hookups generally are commercial campgrounds and, yes, you pay according to what you use, whether it's for full hookups or a longer pull-through site instead of a backin.  Public campgrounds sometimes have only electric.  In that case, they will have a separate dump station where you can both dump and fill with fresh water and the two parts are slightly separated to keep the fresh water safe.  Many commercial campgrounds also have a dump station.  They're usually free if you're one of their customers but may charge a few dollars if you're not.  If you get a copy of the Trailer Life Campground Directory it will tell you what facilities each campground has so you can plan accordingly.  If you make a campground reservation you will need to tell them what kind of site you want, and it probably will be priced accordingly.

A related thing is running your generator if you don't have an electric site.  You usually cannot use a generator in a commercial campground because they have sites with hookups.  On the other hand, many public campgrounds (national and state parks for example) have no hookups so you may need to run your generator there.  Some have separate generator and non-generator sections so those who don't want to be bothered with the noise and/or fumes of generators can avoid them.

In other words, every campground is different and some have a mix of types of campsites.

ArdraF

There are 4 places that I have filled up.

1: at home before departing (Alas no more)
2: At campsites before hitting the road (or for that matter this afternoon, but that is a long story)
3: At places that specialize in water and sewer service for a fee, like PIT STOP in Quartsite
4: At the potable water hydrant at a Flying-J or other like place.. NOTE I prever not to use these.

But usually I fill up before hitthing the highwy,,, How full depends on how much highway.. A short trip I may only put 10 gallon in the tank... A long trip 80, more than 80 it won't hold.

We always fill up to full before leaving home and before leaving campgrounds.  That might lower our mileage a bit, but I'm okay with that for 2 reasons: First I don't want to be without water if we get stuck somewhere, second the tank on our rig is between the frame rails in the center and provides an excellent nearly 1000 pound ballast.

Jeff

If you frequent National Parks you may need a water thief.  Sometimes these parks have no water available except maybe a few water faucets.  These may be different from the normal faucet.  They will have a spring loaded handle and a smooth outlet (no threads for a hose).  The water thief is basically a small hose with hose threads on one end.  You slip the hose over the faucet, tighten a clamp and screw your hose on.  Available at most places that sell RV stuff. 

I encountered a situation where I needed a Water Thief on several occation on a trip last summer.  Came home and bought one, and haven't opened the package yet!  (Dang it don't you just hate that!)  Mine is actually called the Camco Water Bandit but it works on the same principal.  Link below.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDOSKG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0312353901&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0HYEMENMQ7649CSHKVCN

Jeff Brown

jeffbrown I have a confession to make. I bought mine 5 years and another motorhome ago. Still in the package but I know where it is if I need it.  LOL

On the subject of water, one thing you should be aware of is the need to sanitize the system. Here's an article in our forum library on Water System Sanitizing.

Tom is very right on that, I sanitized my system (Using that article as my guide) when I purchased my current motor home.  Immediately after cleaning the system I replaced both of my water filters for the rig.  It made a huge difference.  We rarely drink the on board water but in a pinch we could without detriment.

Jeff Brown

Back
Top Bottom