rebuild generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duanecatman

5000 Onan 1300 hrs runs fine but has stopped producing 110 power to the coach. What does it cost to rebuild?

Are you sure that it needs a rebuild?  It may simply that you have an issue with the production system, control board or a minor adjustment.  If i were you I'd evaluate the issue and get professional help to determine what is needed.

If it runs fine then start by checking the circuit breaker(s) first.  After that check connections and transfer switch.

Mike.

I agree with John & Mike. We were told that you should expect about 5000 hours out of an Onan, but we've been getting closer to 10000 out of those on our work trucks used daily. Don't bury it until you know what's wrong.

The prime clue is if the generator remains running after you release the start switch, it is producing electricity.  The Onan control board will shut down the engine if the generator is not producing AC voltage.  So check things external to the generator itself.  There are two circuit breakers on the generator, sometimes kind of hidden, or you may have a loose connection from the engine vibration.  Or a problem in the transfer switch, which is external to the generator, usually near the rig's main breaker panel.

Not all Onan generators require AC to be present to continue running.  Mine ran fine but wasn't producing any AC, even internally, until the regulator was changed.  Onan Marquis 6500 LP

I have the same problem on AC out put - circuit breakers are fine - fuse is fine ,  you mentioned a regulator and a switch near the battery box.  Easy replacement parts ?

on the fire wall of the coach ( '96 fleetwood ) there is an electrical connection box which has the two AC circuits that come out the generator - I've checked them with a meter and zero AC voltage -  from this junction box the AC should travel to the battery control system and the switch ( I think ) 

What's else is serviceable on the generator that I could check and replace a part without taking into Cummins -

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom