Recent photos posted on my websites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GregScott

I've finally posted photos for the last 2 years (mostly) on my two websites.
For a few easy-to-view very large panoramic landscapes, look at the first 2 thumbnails on my website (see sig line).
For many other photos, notably hummingbirds, visit my other website (click the 'Globe' icon beneath my avatar).
You can see hummingbirds (two galleries), other birds, landscapes, huge panoramas that are cut into multi-panel displays, huge panoramas, seascapes,  (which don't show off very well at the site, but print well), and several categories of other photos. Most of the landscapes are from the AZ, UT, CA, GA, NV, and New England.
Here's an inset showing the detail on a hummingbird: (attached)

Attachments

• 20110615_1051_100_0391_gjs_inset.jpg
    20110615_1051_100_0391_gjs_inset.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 64
Nice photos Greg! I really like the hummingbird shots!

-Roni

Enjoyed your portfolio -- especially the hummers, Greg.

I believe you posted how you stop the wings vs. the blur one would ordinarily get from the maximum shutter speeds of most cameras. Are you doing that with flash while cutting back the ambient light? Fortunately, I am OK with the blur as it shows movement - but OTOH, am paranoid about sharpness.

Greg, you mention your Canon 100-400mm is unfortunately, soft?? Mine works well for me and I read of how successful many BIF shooters love it as well. HERE is one of many I have taken with mine.

Yes, flash for the sharp wings. I have a custom high speed flash, so its faster/sharper than the average flash photo.
Regarding the canon 100-400 zoom, this seems to be a quality control issue. Some people love them, and say they're very sharp. Mine is not very sharp at all.
I should have returned it under warranty.

Thanx for sharing Gregg. Really liked the panoramas. The male cardinal is also spectacular as is the detail on the hummingbird closeup.
I can't begin to understand not only the mechanics of how you guys do it, but the patience you must have to capture the birds in flight. I envy all of you.
Dave

Great shots!

Question on the hummingbird pictures:  When you say "composite" in the title/description, does that mean you've combined two or more images?

Greg,

Very nice photos!

I have the 100-400IS and had some problems with focus. Turned out the cameras needed adjustment. With the last one, 7D, I also sent two IS lenses back to have the camera micro adjusted to them. Seems like they actually fixed it this time. I'm having pretty good luck with it now. Canon said they found a faulty part and replaced it. Didn't tell me what part. :(

Yes, a composite is where two photos are combined. These days, with software, it is pretty easy, compared to the old dark room days, when it was extremely difficult.

Greg - I had a 50d and the 100-400 and it was a very sharp lens. I am wondering if you have one of the newer Canons that has the micro focus adjustments built in. If so have you tried this?

I have also heard that the 100-400 is a very old lens design (1998 I think) and if you get a copy of one of the older ones it won't be as sharp as one of the newer ones. However I don't know what is considered older and what is considered newer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom