Recommend your rv mirror....new to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skyblueclipse

Hope this isn't a silly question but there is no hiding the fact that I'm new to this...my husband has major trouble seeing while towing our new travel trailer....what type of mirrors do we buy?  Do they go on the tv or the tt? A link would be helpful too! THANKS!!!

I started with these - they were "ok" but had a lot of vibration. I did not care for them: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=rv+mirrors&hl=en&cid=17001946602065581576&ei=GCI7TOGLFZW6wAWv9s2ODg&sa=title&ved=0CDsQ8wIwCTgA#p

Then, I went to these which are much better - I would recommend them: http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11900-Custom-Towing-Mirrors/dp/B000CISLUG

(I did not use these specific retailers - these are just the links I found today. The 1st mirrors came from Wal-Mart and the 2nd ones from Camping World.)

There are also extendable mirrors (both manual and electric) you can buy that totally replace the factory mirrors already on the truck but they can get quite expensive.

I also stuck a small round convex mirror on each truck mirror and find them helpful (even without the trailer in tow).

When we bought our first travel trailer I bought a mirror called Tow n See from Camping World. They stick on you mirror and have a safety cord to keep them from falling. I found them to be good until I got a new tow vehicle with extendable mirrors. I second the moton to install small convex mirrors as well. They really help.

Bob

You don't mention what type of vehicle you have and that would be helpful.  I the sample that josezeppy provided fits on a pickup truck, something like that may (or may not) be available to fit your vehicle.  You can get an idea of what is available by doing a google search for towing mirrors.

I agree you absolutely need to have better mirrors than a stock vehicle. when towing.  I suggest you make this a priority improvement for your vehicle.  ;)

My daughter has a Nissan Armada as a TV.  She cannot find good tow mirrors.  It is a year model 2007.  Anyone have any suggestions?

I am using some Reese ones that I picked up at Wal-Mart (I think they're the ones here), after driving away from the dealer and realizing that I couldn't see a darn thing behind me.  Vibration is a bit of an issue, particularly on the inside mirror, but the outside convex mirror actually works pretty well and that's the one I use anyway since the other one isn't really far enough out to see well anyway.  No problems attaching them once I found the knobs that let you adjust the width of the arms.

CIPA mirrors worked for me.  HERE is a link to Camping World that allow you to configure the model you need.

One trick in using them I do recommend.  Use a small bungee cord around the adjustment knob and the stem of your truck's mirror to safety them off.  That avoids the chance that they might slip off while you are under way.

I also used the clamp on type of mirror on my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 until the drivers side fell off while I was driving it.  I had checked it that morning to be sure that it was tight.  When I went back to look for the mirror it was gone.  So I guess that someone else found it and decided to keep it.  I have just purchased the replacement factory type towing mirror for my truck and I am hoping to get them mounted this weekend.  My truck has the power and heated mirrors and these replacement mirrors are also power and heated.  I always had problems with the clamp on mirror being jittery and hard to see when you were moving.  Hopefully these new mirror will be more stable.

I also used the clamp on type of mirror on my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 until the drivers side fell off while I was driving it.  I had checked it that morning to be sure that it was tight.  When I went back to look for the mirror it was gone.  So I guess that someone else found it and decided to keep it.

That is exactly why I used the mini bungee cords to safety the mirrors to the truck's stock mirrors.  Never lost another after I started doing that.

Carl L said:

That is exactly why I used the mini bungee cords to safety the mirrors to the truck's stock mirrors.  Never lost another after I started doing that.
Good to hear, I'm not the only one using the mini-bungees. I always thought they looked a little bit cheap and tacky. But, I always go for function over looks and I haven't lost a mirror yet!

There's 100's of them on EBAY and a few on your local CRAIGSLIST. I bought a pair of CIPAS off CRAIGSLIST this week for $20. I prefer Mckesh brand ($125 on sale). I also prefer a new diesel TV LOL.

Sarguy said:
Good to hear, I'm not the only one using the mini-bungees. I always thought they looked a little bit cheap and tacky. But, I always go for function over looks and I haven't lost a mirror yet!

An old SAR guy would do that.  I learned to safety off in mountain climbing.  But not to worry, RVing brings out the redneck in everybody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamiluu
Back
Top Bottom