Recommendations: New Family Vacation Spot Northeast/Mid Atlantic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelmooch

Hello, all...and thanks for your time and consideration. :)

Hoping that some of the members familiar with PA/OH/NY/VA/WV/MD might help us to identify some new potential family vacation spots.

We've made great memories on Hatteras Island in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, but the drive from Pittsburgh + the sand-hikes up and over the dunes to the beach are becoming progressively more difficult for the grandparents.

I'm hoping to find something within 5-6 hours' drive from Pittsburgh with relatively easy water access for swimming/fishing/paddle-boarding (freshwater is fine), peace & quiet, and "things to do" with some combination of cute towns, art/crafts/antiques, books, nature/historical sights, etc. Not looking for mini-golf, arcades, maze-of-mirrors, amusement parks, a lot of people, etc.

So far I'm seeing the following:

Lake Erie shoreline (OH/PA/NY): Lots of rentals available - cute places with private docks. Having lived my life in Western PA, though, the prospect of heavy rain + unsafe sewage/bacteria levels in the lake during our stay gives me serious pause.

Lake Anna VA: Looks to be about our speed, but everything I'm seeing for rent along the lake is way outside of our price range. $1000/night mansions, basically.

Deep Creek MD: Perhaps more of a "weekend" destination so close to SW PA, but nice availability of rental homes.

Finger Lakes NY: Solid fit for us, available homes, proximity to Watkins Glen a big bonus...but perhaps a bit wine-centric for our crew. Maybe we missed towns/attractions our last time through, but feeling like a bit more diversity of attractions might be warmly received by the fam.

Hocking Hills OH: Very interesting, lots of available rentals, activities, but perhaps a bit hiking-intensive for part of our group.

Coastal Areas DelMarVa: Some rental houses available, but as a lifelong "inland" resident, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around houses on slow-moving rivers (that look like lakes in the pics) vs narrow alcoves of the Chesapeake vs open shoreline of the Chesapeake vs rivers-flowing-into-the-bay, etc. Safe and OK to swim in? Tide/current safe for kids? Potential motorboat traffic near kids paddleboarding or the family kayaking?

What areas/regions am I missing? Geneva on the Lake? Something on a small lake around Shenandoah? The Shenandoah valley (western side of the mountain range) in WV or VA?

Any recommendations much appreciated. Thanks! :)

Sorry that I cannot help you. I know lots of great campgrounds in those areas but being that you want rental houses there might be a better forum out there that can help you. Most of us on this forum have rv's and try to stay away from rentals as we have a very different outlook on where we want to be. Good luck.

Lake Wallenpaupack comes to mind mostly because we drive by that on the way down south.

What are you using to search for places? VRBO? Air bnb?

Sorry that I cannot help you. I know lots of great campgrounds in those areas but being that you want rental houses there might be a better forum out there that can help you. Most of us on this forum have rv's and try to stay away from rentals as we have a very different outlook on where we want to be. Good luck.
This reminds me of the time that my wife and I went on one of those inclusive weekends where they try and sell you a time share. Salesman couldn't (or wouldn't) understand that the wife and I were motorcyclists who liked to travel every day of our vacations and stay somewhere new every night as opposed to traveling to one spot and staying for 2 weeks.
We had a nice stay in Branson anyway and enjoyed the free show.
They also hooked us up with another presentation by an outfit that rented unused time shares. We got a $50 stipend for attending that one, which (at the time) paid the gas for both bikes for the whole trip.

Back
Top Bottom