Recommended Installers for Baseplates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWNimz

Who would anyone recommend for installing a baseplate on a Smart Car. Would you use someone like Camping world?  or the Dealer?  Camping World had a package deal about a month ago with Blue Ox base plate and hitch. Please I have read all the comments about how small the car is and how some of you think it is dangerous and I have weighed what all was said and made a decision.  Just need a good installer in Northern California.

LOL  Sometimes.  I have paid way too much for less at Camping World but they do have everything in place.  In VA would you go to private RV service or car dealer?

I installed my own Blue Ox on my 2008 smart.  Not a bad job.  Take off all of the plastic front, drill a couple of holes, mount the base plate, trim a little plastic grill, hook up some lights.  Took about 4 or 5 hours for a novice.  I used the Blue Ox instructions which were complete.

After towing "Shorty" for about 10K miles on a 5 month trip, we decided that it was just a little too small for us.  I then installed a Blue Ox base plate on my new Honda CR-V.  About the same type of install but I had to saw off some of the bumper to mount it.  I get about 0.2 MPG less towing the Honda than I did with the smart for two.

Bottom line... Not a difficult job to do your self.

Wow Thanks Bago  I have looked at the instructions and was kinda wondering if it would be a diy project.  If all else fails I will pull it in the garage and go at it.

I used the local trailer and hitch guy here to do my Malibu baseplate. They did a good job at a fair price.  After experiencing camping world service in Bowling Green KY last week, I would steer clear of them.  I thought the prices were HIGH.  Nothing wrong with the tech that did the work though.

I would use a hitch shop that had experience in installing base plates and tow bars.  I don't have a lot of faith in Rv dealers, including CW, for this type of work. You never know if the guy assigned to your job has any experience it or not.

I so agree, that is why I am trying to find a trustworthy and competent installer.  I reread the instructions last night and I was almost convinced to try it myself until I read the wiring instructions.  Look for this bundle, look for 4 brown wires cut them yeaaaa I don't think so.  I am not bad with most elect but the instructions seemed not specific to any car and I am not sure I want to start cutting things I am not sure about.  I will keep looking.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You have to cut wires to install the base plates? Never heard of a vehicle that required that sort of action.

I'm sure he's talking about also installing the wiring for the signal lights to hook up to the MH.

I avoided all that by just buying a set of magnetic tow lights from Harbor Freight.  Less than $20, took little time and minimal effort.

diehard said:
I avoided all that by just buying a set of magnetic tow lights from Harbor Freight.  Less than $20, took little time and minimal effort.
Magnets don't stick to plastic very well. :)
I didn't have any problem cutting the wires and inserting diodes on my smart.  I did this at the light housing on each side.  You might check into adding another bulb into the light housing.  That's what I did on my CR-V.  Just have to drill a 1" hole, insert the new light socket/bulb.  Not hooked to the smart's electrical system at all.

Our smart had the alarm system.  Make sure that you deactivate it on the dash switch.  Our first tow sounded like a cop car following the coach. :D

What I have pretty much gained from online research is that the magnetic attachable lights are pretty poorly manufactured. Small magnets and poor wiring. Sooo -  Yes I guess the right way is the way to go.  I have a couple friends with extensive electrical knowledge that could stand over my shoulder so to speak.  Still looking for someone around here that knows what they are doing and or has done a smart car before.

Thanks guys

Just a follow up.  Finally found an installer here in Northern California that has experience with Smart Cars. Has installed 15-20 bracket systems on Smart Cars so far. Looks like I will add to the number.  RoadMaster system brackets, Flacon 2 hitch system, electric and installation less than 1,700.  Will give a followup when it's all done.

Thanks all for your input and it was all helpful in making my decision.

Back
Top Bottom