Recommended route south from San Fran to San Diego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roy and Claudia

I'm now getting into planning phase 2 of our trip in Jan/Feb. After we do the Oregon coast we plan to travel south through CA to San Diego and then east to AZ. I've been doing some research and I KNOW that Hwy 1 along the coast north of San Francisco is BAD and we will avoid that and follow 101 instead. Can someone tell me where to go (haha) after San Francisco. We'd like to enjoy the trip, not worry about falling off cliffs into the ocean and hopefully see some nice sights on the way - as in I don't want to just boogie down I5. We would like to see Monteray/Carmel area and would like to visit Hearst Castle and we will be stopping somewhere to visit friends in Malibu - but beyond that we're open. Is the coast highway dreadful along that section? Is there a good alternate route that will allow us to visit those places? (We will have a toad.)

I lived in southern California for 30 years and northern California for 7 years and I have driven the coast highway between Monterey and San Luis Obispo. I don't think the road is scary at all no matter what length the vehicle is. Yes, you can get to Hearst Castle by taking 101 south to SLO then north on 1. The section of 1 between SLO and HC is very easy. The curvy spot starts a bit later. The two choices you have would be 101 and I5, and I have driven both many times. Both are not exactly tourist destinations. Highway 101 has a few nice missions along the way. I5 is mostly a vast wasteland. And Highway 1 is my favorite highway in the entire world because it is the most beautiful highway I have ever driven.

You don't have to many choices if you are leaving the bay area. You have Hwy 1, Hwy 101 or the I-5. I-5 = boring, Hwy 101 better but after a while it can be a bit boring, Hwy 1 the most scenic and the most fun. Yes there are cliffs and the driver has to pay attention but it is worth it. Go slow..... as slow as you want, others can wait. I drove it last year in the rain and wind with road wash outs cliff slides. I'm still here! I would recommend that you drive south on a weekday between 09:00 and 12:00 that way you will be driving after the morning drive time to work. There is a number of people that live along the cost and work south and they are usually in a hurry to get to work. Do a Google search on things to see and I guarantee that you will have a good time, a memorable experience and you wont be bored.

Jay T

[quote author=JayT]You have Hwy 1, Hwy 101 or the I-5.[/quote]

There is, of course, Hwy 99, but it's a busy route through/around numerous farming towns. I'd agree that Hwy 1 is the most scenic, but we take a combination of I-5 and Hwy 99 when we need to get from point A to point B on a schedule.

Roy and Claudia, be sure to check the CA DOT web site for road conditions nearer the time; You can enter a road number and it will give you the latest conditions, including delays and slides/slip-outs.

Tom said:
There is, of course, Hwy 99, but it's a busy route through/around numerous farming towns. I'd agree that Hwy 1 is the most scenic, but we take a combination of I-5 and Hwy 99 when we need to get from point A to point B on a schedule.

Roy and Claudia, be sure to check the CA DOT web site for road conditions nearer the time; You can enter a road number and it will give you the latest conditions, including delays and slides/slip-outs.
I stopped taking 99 years ago because it was in such bad repair. No way I would have taken a motorhome over it, I would need to replace the springs and shocks in Bakersfield. Has the road been repaved lately Tom?

Tom.... 99 is just as bad as it always has been, although they continue to work on it, it's still like it has always been some areas bad some areas ok. We have to travel the 99 every year in August when we go to our favorite lake in the Sierra.

Jay T

I would not take the motorhome on the portion of CA-1 between San Francisco and Half Moon Bay.  From SF go south on either I-280 or US-101 to the CA-92 exit to Half Moon Bay and pick up CA-1 at HMB.  The part of CA-1 between SF and HMB is where the infamous Devil's Slide is located and until it's routed farther inland (still under construction???) I would avoid that section.  It would not be a fun drive.  Pretty yes, fun no!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I would not take the motorhome on the portion of CA-1 between San Francisco and Half Moon Bay.  From SF go south on either I-280 or US-101 to the CA-92 exit to Half Moon Bay and pick up CA-1 at HMB.  The part of CA-1 between SF and HMB is where the infamous Devil's Slide is located and until it's routed farther inland (still under construction???) I would avoid that section.  It would not be a fun drive.  Pretty yes, fun no!

ArdraF

Thanks - was thinking of 280 once thru SF. I've driven that highway by car before. Not sure yet about the route thru SF - we'll be staying in San Rafael, crossing the GG then ?.. I've driven that route by car - it seems to me that it was city streets for a good chunk of it, along 19th Ave. We'll time it to avoid heavy traffic. I was thinking 280 to 85 to 101 then south. Then back out to the coast to end in Monterey possibly or somewhere close by. The coast highway looks incredible for scenery but I'd be lying if I didn't say it makes me VERY nervous:)

Thanks everyone for all your input!

January and February are the peak of the Pacific storm season, so going down the Coast Route will be determined by the weather.  Keep a close eye on it and be prepared to revise your route if needed.

You won't see much if you're inching along in driving rain and 60 MPH winds.

I-280 and Highway 101 are a good alternative.  I-5 and CA99 through the Central Valley can have their own problems with tule fog.  Tule fog is the old London fog - rising from wet, warm ground when colder air closes in over it.  Visibility can drop to nothing without notice, leading to multi-car collisions as drivers are caught unaware.

You'll also have to cross the San Gabriel Mountains to get into L.A. and the Grapevine pass can be closed by high winds or snow.

These conditions aren't as severe as what you can find in the more northern areas, but be aware that they can happen, keep track of the weather and plan accordingly.

If the weather's nice, I wouldn't hesitate taking CA 1 from San Francisco to Monterey.  Be aware of the coastal fog situation - there's no sense driving it if you can't see anything - but if it's going to be a nice day go for it.  Devil's Slide has been stabilized and greatly improved since they started work on the tunnel.  If I wanted to be cynical, I'd suggest they threw a bunch of money at it just before the vote to make the tunnel look like a bargain.  The drive over the Slide is visually exciting but nowhere near the driving challenge it's been in the past.  You're on the cliff face for less than a half mile and the part that's sliding (in extremely slow motion - inches a year) is a small part of that.  The whole way is 2 lane road with a large earth berm between you and the dropoff.  I'd give it a go before the tunnel bypasses it just so you can say you have done it.

Other than that short stretch, CA 1 between SF and Santa Cruz/Monterey is an uncrowded, gentle country drive.

Lou is correct about the tule (pronounced toolee) fog that hits the Central Valley and The CA Delta between November and February. We live on the water, so we see it more than land lubbers. Fortunately, we've never experienced fog on Hwy 99 or I-5, but have often experienced it while afloat on The CA Delta.

Lou,

I won't even go over Devil's Slide in a car because during the 35 years we lived in the San Mateo area, the entire road slipped down into the ocean a couple of times and was closed for many months while they shored it up.  I'm amazed they even allow heavy vehicles on it!  You can drive it, but I'll take another route!  ::) :p ;D  And, by the way, I'm not sure that tunnel is even a very good idea.  Of course, being true Californians, they argued about it for around 30 years which gave technology a chance to improve.  Anyway, I'll reserve judgment on the new portion until it's completed.

ArdraF

seilerbird said:
I stopped taking 99 years ago because it was in such bad repair. No way I would have taken a motorhome over it, I would need to replace the springs and shocks in Bakersfield. Has the road been repaved lately Tom?
OK you RoVing megabrains, on the subject of 99, which seems rougher north of Bakersfield than to the south. Have you noticed that where they have asphalted the road, they leave a little bit of road under bridges as cement still (and usually bumpy at that). Does anyone know why?

fastrak100 said:
OK you RoVing megabrains, on the subject of 99, which seems rougher north of Bakersfield than to the south. Have you noticed that where they have asphalted the road, they leave a little bit of road under bridges as cement still (and usually bumpy at that). Does anyone know why?

You will have to translate that into American English so I can comprehend your question. ;D

[quote author=fastrak100]....where they have asphalted the road, they leave a little bit of road under bridges as cement still (and usually bumpy at that). Does anyone know why?[/quote]

Haven't particularly noticed that, but then I haven't looked for it either. One possible reason might be to maintain the bridge/overpass clearance, but that's purely conjecture.

Have you noticed that where they have asphalted the road, they leave a little bit of road under bridges as cement still (and usually bumpy at that). Does anyone know why?

That's so the clearance under the bridge stays at the published height.  If you add asphalt to the pavement under the bridge the clearance will be reduced by the thickness of the coating  (3-4").  Any clearance warning signs, the height of the bridge in the state's oversize load routing database, etc. would also have to be revised.

If you're looking for other sites to visit along US 101, Solvang is enjoyable, a "Danish village".  I remember good bakeries.  Santa Barbara has nice restaurants.  South of LA, the mission at San Juan Capistrano is worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom