Refrigerator use while towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FREDLY

I plan to use shore power to run the refrigerator the night before we leave. What's the common wisdom on what to do while were towing? Will the two-way refrigerator work off the 12 V system or will the refrigeration run off the propane?  Is it safe to run the refrigeration off the propane while towing?

FREDLY said:
Will the two-way refrigerator work off the 12 V system or will the refrigeration run off the propane?

The technical answer to this is "both". The 12V battery supplies power to the fridge's electronics which controls when propane is required.

lone_star_dsl said:
It will run off propane and is safe to do so while traveling.

What he said.
  Some will not run during travel, worried about and explosion in an accident or during fueling.

Derby6 said:
What he said.
  Some will not run during travel, worried about and explosion in an accident or during fueling.
I don't feel it is dangerous to run with the propane on while traveling. However by turning it off I don't have to remember to turn it off going through tunnels and while refueling.

I operate mine while towing all the time.  If no 120 Vac present it switches to propane use.  Either way the fridge requires 12 Vdc for the control circuitry.

These fridges take a loooong time to get cool.  You may wish to turn it on at least 24 hours before filling it.  Fill with cold / frozen food.  Fill empty space with frozen water bottles.  It will help the fridge stay cool and you have cold drinking water.

I find that our refrigerator cools down more quickly on gas than it does on electric.  I also leave my gas on for the refrigerator while driving to or from a destination.

We have been using propane to run refrigerators while traveling for more than 20 years. If your propane isn't safe to use while traveling, it isn't safe to use while stationary. The oldest models did have a tendency to turn off in a brisk wind while driving, but there are safety features that turn the propane off if the flame goes out.

UTTransplant said:
We have been using propane to run refrigerators while traveling for more than 20 years. If your propane isn't safe to use while traveling, it isn't safe to use while stationary. The oldest models did have a tendency to turn off in a brisk wind while driving, but there are safety features that turn the propane off if the flame goes out.
It is not a question of safety, it is the law to shut it off in some tunnels and while refueling.

Our Jayco Pinnacle has a residential refrigerator.  Just got it, but was told it runs on regular current from the Inverter when going down the road. Power supplied by the truck.  Is that correct?

SeilerBird said:
It is not a question of safety, it is the law to shut it off in some tunnels and while refueling.
Luckily I have never traveled in a tunnel where the refrigerator had to be turned off. I am also unaware of a law requiring g it to be off while refueling (which I have done thousands of times). Reference please?

We run ours on propane during travel and on shore power at night to conserve propane. We seldom boondock, DW doesn't like it. The only times I have been required to turn the gas off are on ferry crossings.

Two way fridge needs 12volts for the controls. And 120 for a electric heater or lp for a burner.  Most people travel with it on.  Only a problem on some bridges and tunles to have LP tanks on

Run mine in transit all the time.  I only run through one tunnel in my travels.....it is about 200' long, and it takes me under 10 seconds to run through it....I'm not going to stop and shut my refer off.  You're supposed to shut it off during  fueling too, but with a 30' trailer it's so far back there I doubt there is much of any possibility of igniting diesel fumes.  So yes, feel free to run the refer in transit. 

dosxx said:
Our Jayco Pinnacle has a residential refrigerator.  Just got it, but was told it runs on regular current from the Inverter when going down the road. Power supplied by the truck.  Is that correct?

That is correct. I just installed a RF and it runs off the inverter I also installed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom