Remind me I left the kid in the car!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Folks, please take political rants elsewhere. As explained in our forum rules, they're not welcome here. I've moved several messages out of sight. Thanks.

H5-Phil said:
I like chaser's idea - simple and effective.  Since it will be impossible to 'fix' all distracted parenting, finding a child-friendly solution seems reasonable and would benefit those with the most to lose - the kids. 

This thread also makes me wonder how many children have been saved by backup cameras in our cars/trucks.  Too many young kids have died this unnecessary death also.

I agree the car seat device makes the most sense. Perhaps tied to an OBD2 port plug-in device that senses when the car is shut off.

gravesdiesel said:
I have never and will never have children, so why the hell should I have to pay for a device in a car that is nothing but an excuse for sorry parenting?
That's like saying you will never have passengers so why pay for airbags on the passengers side.  Your car may also be eventually traded or sold to another party who would like to have that feature - it gives the vehicle added value.  But then if you are not a parent I am just talking to the wall.  Sorry but that's the way a parent feels.

I like the above idea mentioned.  Put the sensor in the car seat.  That makes it a "user pays" system.  Speaking of such, the government schools should be a "user pays" system, similar to the post office.  Subsidized to a degree by the taxpayers (through sales tax would be best so not only property owners carry the load) and then primarily paid for by parents who have children in that school.
Not an issue to me, as I only buy/drive bigger trucks, which are put in more of a commercial classification.  They are not required to have many of these "features" that passenger cars require.

Those of us that carry kids/grandkids in our vehicles maybe could fasten a tether to the kid and when you get out of the car the tether would tug warning you a kid was still in the car.

gravesdiesel said:
I have never and will never have children, so why the hell should I have to pay for a device in a car that is nothing but an excuse for sorry parenting?
It's not for the parents. It's for the kids.

I also wonder how many dogs have died that way. And how this alarm works.

I remember it happening a year ago in Sacramento, CA. In this case, it was a police dog left in the car while the cop was in the station BSing with his cop buddies in the 100?F heat, car much hotter inside.  The dog died and the cop was canned.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Oldgator73 said:
Those of us that carry kids/grandkids in our vehicles maybe could fasten a tether to the kid and when you get out of the car the tether would tug warning you a kid was still in the car.
Better yet, connect a tether from the kids car seat to YOU so that if you attempt to get out of the car the tether would remind you that something was forgotten.

Bill

Bill N said:
Better yet, connect a tether from the kids car seat to YOU so that if you attempt to get out of the car the tether would remind you that something was forgotten.

Bill

I'm pretty sure that's what I said, although not in tech order fashion.

I could never forget my grandkids are in the backseat-they never shut up.

The problem I see with a parent/grandparent tether and other "reminder" systems, is that they require remembering to do it by people that would swear they'd never forget the kid, yet they do. An automated system removes that risk...

I'm trying to remember what this thread was about. Wait...is that smoke I smell and where is that water coming from...what were we talking about?

That is what is referred to as "DRIFT", and it happens quite frequently in particular if there are any politically or personal opinions expressed.  Even, when a few of what must have been more argumentative posts were removed.  Oh well, given that I have total recall, I shouldn't ever have the OP's problem.  If I could only remember what that was.

Ed

Perhaps a 'Baby On Board' sign would remind the driver/parent.  Especially if placed on the windshield right in front of the driver's face.  Or, hang it from your hat much like the tassel on a mortarboard... 

Attachments

• BabyOnBoard.png
    BabyOnBoard.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 0
Tom said:
As a parent of five, grandparent of four, and great grandparent of one, I suggest that you put away your cell phone and pay more attention to your children. There is absolutely no excuse for not remembering that you have a child in the back of your car.

Agree 100%! How on earth can you forget your child is in the car with you?!

99dart said:
Agree 100%! How on earth can you forget your child is in the car with you?!

Happens more than you can imagine. I suppose we can say throw the book at these folks, prison for life, 20 years, whatever. Until it happens to someone you care about, family or friend then you might change your tune. Humans are fallible. We make mistakes. Folks leave their guns in places where kids can get them and a tragedy happens. Kids drown in backyard pools. Family pets kill or maim kids. When these things happen, they happen because someone was not paying attention. So, to say "How can you forget your child is in the car with?". It happens.

Didn't leave any in the vehicle, but left one behind.

We have eight children, and many years ago, we were on the interstate and stopped at a rest area.
They all piled out and we headed to the rest room. Young Tom  who loved to read, didn't have to go so he just grabbed his book and headed to some shade under a tree.
When it was time to go, they all piled in and we took off. We got a few miles down the road, and some one who was in the third seat casually said that Tommy wasn't there. Needless to say we almost had heart attacks.
I got off at the next exit and returned, and there was Tom sitting in the exact same place still reading his book.
He had never even missed us.
After that incident we always had a head count !
  Many times since when we all get together for cookouts, etc they love to kid him and us about it.

Jack L

Passed forum member Shayne Berta left his wife at a Flying J. He didn't realize she'd gone into the store while he was filling with gas.

Back
Top Bottom