Remodeling Nancy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Nancy & I are in Tampa this week, at the Moffitt Cancer Center. On Wednesday the orthopedic surgeons will work their magic and repair her torn rotator cuff, scrape as much cancer as possible from the scapula (shoulder bone), and then reinforce it with an epoxy cement. They can't scrape the bone too thin or it will break, but the docs think they can make some good gains and substantially relieve her constant pain. And repair of the rotator muscle should restore some shoulder movement, though it will take several months of therapy to get it back in operation.

She has also begun one new chemotherapy regimen and will start a second one after she recovers from the surgery. We are hoping these will control the existing cancer and prevent further spreading. These two chemos are in pill form, so hopefully we will be able to travel next summer instead of being stuck within driving range of the Moffitt for infusion treatments. She will probably need these pills for the rest of her life, though, and they are incredibly expensive. Thousands of $ each per month, which pretty well overwhelms the prescription drug coverage of our insurance as well as our savings. Fortunately one drug manufacturer took pity on us and is giving her the drug for free (so far).

She has also had radiation treatments on the shoulder bone, but they had to be limited because she has already had a lot of radiation in the same general area. It helped quite a bit, though.

We've shared far too much together to consider replacing her, so we are having her remodeled with an upgraded shoulder bone and a titanium neck bone and she should be good for quite a few years yet.  ;D  We remain optimistic even though this latest cancer may not ever be totally eradicated from her body.

Gary, we leave tomorrow morning, and plan on hitting St Petes Sunday.  If there is anything we can do once there please let us know.

Donna and Ed

Best of luck on Nancy II, we know you both will come through this just as you have before.

Frequently, we ask FRAMILY members who undertake a remodel to post photos.  I guess that might not be appropriate this time.

We certainly are with you folks and wish you the very best.  Nancy has been through a lot and things can not be easy for either of you.  Here is to a speedy recovery and great travels next summer!

It's nice to know that not all pharmaceutical companies are money-grubbing scumbags.

Our thoughts and prayers continue for both of you.

Wendy

I love your humor in the face of adversity.  Attitude is everything and you two have truly great attitudes.  You both are in our thoughts and prayers.

Margi

Ditto what everyone else said, especially Margi's comments about your and Nancy's positive attitudes. We're pulling for you both.

Chris and Tom

Wow,
I 've never really thought of cancer treatment as remodeling, but what a great spin on it.  I'm sure she will feel much better with more use of that arm and  to begin to be pain free will be wonderful. What challenges you face with such a positive  attitude. Both of you are an inspiration to all of us.  Thanks for keeping us informed.
Betty

Keep plugging away at it Gary. You both are in our prayers.

Jeff

My prayers and thoughts are with you and hope for nothing but the best for both of you.

You two continue to be in our prayers.  We'll pray those pills keep coming for free, too...

Frank & Cheryl

Gary,

As you know, are thoughts and prayers are with you both. Please let us know if there's anything we can do and when Nancy is up for a visit.

It's oh-dark-thirty in Tampa and we are off to Moffitt for the surgery. Check in at 5:15 a.m.!  Our daughter is driving down from Ocala this a.m. and will be here shortly for the vigil.

Thanks to all for the love and support. Will give an update this evening.

WOW!  She is sure enduring a lot.  Hugs to both of you and we hope the latest solves many problems and gives her better quality of life.

Nancy is out of surgery and hurting but otherwise fine. The rotator repair was successful and the doc thinks he has reinforced the scapula enough to relieve her ongoing problems somewhat.  She was napping when I left her hospital room ad she should be able to come home Thursday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom