Removable Fifth Wheel Hitch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reubenray

In my long  process to see if I want to join the fifth wheel gang there is one big negative to me.  It is the actual hitch in the back of my truck.  I have no problem with it when using it, but are there some that can be partially removed?  Doing some searching it appears there are, but I cannot tell what actually still stays in the truck.

I have seen many 5th wheel hitches that are removable. There are different designs.

For our personal use, we use Reese Hitches that are combination 5th wheel and Goose Neck hitches in our Dodge 3500 Diesels.
Here on the ranch we have trailers with both types of hitches so we found the Reese combination hitches that leave the Gooseneck hitch in place when the 5th wheel hitch is mounted. The 5th wheel hitch is mounted with just two pins and the whole hitch, Gooseneck and 5th Wheel,  can be removed by pulling pins when we need a flat truck bed.

How heavy are the removable sections?  Is this a one man or a two man job.

I REALLY like and use the B&W Turnover Ball system with the 5th wheel Companion. (http://www.turnoverball.com/) It leaves the bed COMPLETELY flat with only 1 single 4" hole in the middle. The companion pieces are easily handled by a single person. I wouldn't do it any other way, myself.

I was getting ready to post a link and reccomend the B & W but someone beat me to it, as I was typing it.  I also have the Turnover Ball with the 5th Wheel Companion and love it.  Good hitch and can be made completley gone when you need the bed of the truck.

Or hitch is removable, I can lift it off the bed myself but lifting it back on is a stretch. I remove the pins, hook up the trailer then drive out from under it leaving it hang by the pin. To re install I back the truck under it, lower the trailer so the hitch sits on the bed, uncouple it then slide it into place. Sure is a lot easier on my back.

Mine is also removeable.  I think most of them are.  The rails remain in the truck.  I have removed mine by myself, but it is very heavy.  I recently bought an engine lift to help.  It won't quite reach the hitch perfectly, but it is bunches easier than trying to lift and drag it to the rear of the bed!  Two people would definitely be better.

reubenray said:
Depends on how big a man you are. ;-)  I have the Reese slider.  It disassembles to two pieces.  The top part is easy to handle, maybe 30 lbs.  The bottom, slider part is a bit bigger and 70 - 80 lbs maybe.

I've got a Reese that I remove buy myself with a come along I hang on a hook & chain in my garage door frame. Also I made a small table with casters to move it around and store it on. all  my tire tools, jack etc go on a shelf underneath, that way I don't forget anything when loading up. It's also a good place to do maintainence on it.

We had an RBW hitch when we towed 5W's. It came out in two parts. The hitch head was 50-60 lbs and came off with two pins. The base was another 30 lbs and removed with 4 pins.  I had no problem removing it myself - it's similar in weight to lifting a car battery.

I have a reese slider that I load and remove myself, but I need to find another way because that thing is awkward and heavy, it has to be dang near 200lbs. I attached a 1/2" x 6" U-bolt on each side for lifting handles because there wasn't a place to grab it without getting pinched. I store it on a set of saw horses because going to the concrete floor might result in a loud and painful popping noise.

Here's another satisfied B&W owner. I need a flat floor to carry a 400 gal. water tank. It comes  out in 2 parts, the plate and  the base.  It's not the lightest hitch, but you will most likely never need to replace it. Yes it's that well built.

RoyM said:
Or hitch is removable, I can lift it off the bed myself but lifting it back on is a stretch. I remove the pins, hook up the trailer then drive out from under it leaving it hang by the pin. To re install I back the truck under it, lower the trailer so the hitch sits on the bed, uncouple it then slide it into place. Sure is a lot easier on my back.

This is very interesting!  Are you still doing this?

I'm mulling a fifth wheel myself but of course the hitch taking up the bed is a problem. If I can remove it without backbreaking labor like you're doing, that is pretty cool.

702Rubi said:
This is very interesting!  Are you still doing this?

I'm mulling a fifth wheel myself but of course the hitch taking up the bed is a problem. If I can remove it without backbreaking labor like you're doing, that is pretty cool.

Check out the Andersen Hitch.

Rene T said:
Check out the Andersen Hitch.
X2 - at less than 40 lbs it's a breeze to remove and install. It hangs on my garage wall when not in use! The version I have attaches to a gooseneck ball so an added perk is a rail-free bed when not towing.

I don't have one (yet) but I was looking at B&W puck hitch.  http://www.turnoverball.com/products/puck-mounted-attachment/companion-oem-5th-wheel-hitch-fits-ford-puck-system

It mounts to the Ford or other manufacturers 5th wheel prep wholes in the bed and can be totally removed.  It comes in a slider as well. 

I have talked to a couple people that have the non-slider version and like them.

I use a Curt 16k.  I remove it all time in two separate pieces.

reubenray said:
As recommended by others here, the B&W Companion hitch is removable in two pieces. The total weight of both pieces is 120 lbs. The top part (hitch head) is about 40 lbs and the bottom hitch part that couples to the gooseneck hitch weighs about 80 lbs. ( gooseneck companion hitch is mounted under the truck bed).

"Easy" to remove is relative to how much weight you are comfortable lifting.
https://youtu.be/Q1Ze4eMRZsM

Back
Top Bottom