Removable Fifth Wheel Hitch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many 5W hitches separate into two pieces (head & frame) by pulling a couple of pins, so not all that heavy or difficult to remove. However, most will leave the rails in the floor of the bed, which can be a nuisance if you want to slide in something bulky or heavy. A few hitches have "under the bed" rails. that aren't in the way when the hitch is removed. The Reese Elite is one of them:

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-Installation-Kit/Reese/RP30061.html

steveblonde said:
the rails are so slim that you barely notice them

I'd say that's a matter of opinion. The first time I slam a shovel into one unloading top soil or stone, I'm damn sure going to notice them...and likely verbally express myself about the event!  :eek:  We all use our trucks differently which is why I went rail-free.

If your concern is weight and easy to remove, leaving a flat bed, take a real long look at the Andersen Ultimate.  It attaches to a gooseneck ball.  The Aluminum version weighs less than 40#.  Steel version is 75#.  It can go in or out in 5 minutes.  When out, only the gooseneck ball remains, which is easily removed.  No rails required.

I just watched YouTube video about the Andersen hitch.

So to use that Andersen hitch do you have to make any kind of modification to the trailer? I'm used to seeing the hitch plate so I guess I wasn't sure how the trailer was actually connecting to the ball on the Andersen hitch.

There is a rectangle block that gets bolted to the trailer king pin. On the opposite end of the block on the bottom side, there is a hole/socket that the Andersen ball fits into.

Rene T said:
There is a rectangle block that gets bolted to the trailer king pin. On the opposite end of the block on the bottom side, there is a hole/socket that the Andersen ball fits into.

Ah, ok, thank you.  I didn't see that from the video.

Does this rectangle block simply bolt on somehow, or is there any drilling or modifications required?  Does the ease/difficulty of installing it vary from trailer to trailer (due to differences between the kingpins)?

There are 6 bolts in total that secure the adapter block: 2 large bolts horizontally clamp the block to the kingpin and 4 smaller set-screws push up (vertically) on the bottom of the pinbox plate essentially jamming the large bolts against the bottom rim of the kingpin. The only difference in installation between rigs is that the set-screws may require more or less travel to properly seat the block. I hope I explained it ok. There are numerous videos on YouTube showing installation of the block.

I dropped off my 5th wheel for service on Saturday and it took me less than 5 minutes to remove the adapter block (in case they had to move it).

Thanks for the explanation.  I'll also search YouTube and find some of those installation videos.

I have a Curt Q24, which pulls a 16,000 rated fifth wheel.  It can be taken apart into two sections, each of which is between 50 and 100 pounds.  Rails stay in the bed.  I'm a 68 year old geezer and I can lift it into and out of the truck, but just barely.  A few more years and I'll have to install a hoist in the shop.  I think the weight rating is the big factor.  A 24K hitch is obviously going to weigh more.  Not sure if Curt makes bigger, but I wanted one to pull whatever I decided to buy.  Installed it myself without much trouble.  Bought a kit.  GMC 3500HD long bed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaySmith
Back
Top Bottom