Remove decals on brand new trailer???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyInNY

I have a  2019 trailer that I just got in August.  Since I plan on having it for many years, I was wondering about removing the decals now.  After reading many posts about them cracking and fading, and once removed how the "shadow" of the decal is still there, what is the harm in removing them now to avoid those situations?  I'm not concerned about the resale value, and I'm sure it will look different with no decals, but is there any reason not to remove them?  I plan on using a heater like a hair dryer to heat and peel them off, possibly using hot water on a cloth to warm a section at a time.  I don't want to damage the finish under the decals.

Any good reason not to do this?

MikeyInNY said:
Any good reason not to do this?

The only reason they exist is appearance.  Did you ever see the plain white FEMA trailers?  Talk about ugly!

lynnmor said:
The only reason they exist is appearance.  Did you ever see the plain white FEMA trailers?  Talk about ugly!
I agree

Wax them every spring, they will last a long time.  You'll be disappointed with yourself if you remove them.

They are strictly cosmetic.

IMHO, I may remove the "free advertising" decals and replace them with MY choice.  Maybe a picture of Grand Canyon on one side, New England fall foliage on the back, a beautiful lake at sunset on one side and Mt. McKinley on the front.  The plain white box is U-G-L-Y!

I removed the stripes on my boat last summer. I used a Wagner heat gun to heat the decals and then slowly pealed them off. The hair dryer was not hot enough.

3M and some other manufacturers sell a rubber eraser wheel you use with an electric drill that might also be helpful. 3M also sells an adhesive remover. Amazon sells the wheel and adhesive remover.

NCSU Dad said:
I removed the stripes on my boat last summer. I used a Wagner heat gun to heat the decals and then slowly pealed them off. The hair dryer was not hot enough.

Those heat guns are great, but you sure can cause damage if not paying close attention.  ;)

SpencerPJ said:
Those heat guns are great, but you sure can cause damage if not paying close attention.  ;)

Very true. My experience is save the hair dryer for removing retail stickers off stuff you buy.

the wheels work great but don't skimp on a cheap one . i have used a 3m one without any problems,my neighbor used a cheapy and burned his paint in several spots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom