Removing luan from roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tbski101

Hello, I have a 1994 Coachman that I'm re roofing, I have been reading through the forums to to see how to remove the luan from the foam with out doing damage to it. I can remove the bad luan with out too much trouble but how does one get the good sections up. I'm going to redo the whole roof, it will be easier than trying to patch. Thanks

I'm not familiar with your coach model, so can't help much.  Was the foam originally sprayed into place, e.g. an expanding urethane or something similar? So that it physically adheres to the luan? Or is it just that the old foam has become stuck to the luan due to time/humidity factors? The former (urethane) is darn near impossible to get loose without tearing it apart, but loose foam sheets that became stuck can usually be separated with a good putty knife or similar slim blade. Sometimes a long, sharp, fisherman's fileting knife works well. It will slice through cleanly while staying close to the wood surface.

When we reroofed our motorhome, see link below, the luan just peeled off the Styrofoam with little effort.  If I were to do it again, I'd patch in the spots that were bad, then apply a new layer of luan over the entire roof.  The reason it that the new luan had problems bonding to the Styrofoam.  Bonding luan to luan will be a stronger bond.

It looks to be a foam sheet layer between the roof and ceiling panels, I'll have to see if I can skin it like a rabbit. Every sheet has damage some where so I'm not going to do patching, if I'm going this far I'm doing a complete roofing job. Going to replace the 1/4 luan with something a little thicker. I'm thinking of painting the new wood also if the glue for the rubber will hold. I haven't checked into that yet, still have the old wood to remove.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom