Renogy solar panel system for RV's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would love to know what you do..  what you have run with your system?
I am a songwriter and full timer who is also building up a solar system.
I'm nowhere near yours but would like to run my low wattage power amp
and analog mixer with outboard gear at some point.  The power amp is the biggy
but doesn't have to be the 400 watt beast I had in my commercial recording studio.

I'll bet you use your microwave don't you...

Remember.. solar power is just an alternate method of recharging your batteries. If you couldn't power a microwave or other high consumption device before installing solar, you still won't be able to after installing solar - no matter how big the array is. To power high consumption devices like microwave ovens, AC coffee makers, etc. you need an appropriately sized inverter and a battery-bank with enough amp hour capacity to feed the inverter. Other than recharging your batteries, solar has nothing to do with it.

Kev

Thanks Kevin,  so if we did want to run a low wattage nuker..  not sure how low they make them but
we know that this is a device that only briefly surges power uses for a few minutes at a time perhaps
a few times a day..  as you say, having several batteries and say a 1500W Inverter???
I've been studying this very subject as the idea of the true nature of RV Solar becomes more readily understandable
in all of its components..  I've seen the very large fivers or Class A rigs with huge Inverters..  How big to they go?

Just noticed you appear to be in Lakeside..  East County.  I had a home on 4 beautiful acres in Jamul for 10 years and lost it
after health issues..  that's how I became a full timer..  I owned Rancho San Diego Pool Service as a contractor... 55 years in San Diego County

Really sorry to hear about you losing your home in Jamul - nice area - and I hope your health is better too. Microwaves do have power spikes - sometimes more than others depending on what's being cooked, but even when they don't spike, they still consume a lot of power just running. The inverter has to be able to provide power at all times or it will overload and shut down. I'm sorry to say that I don't know how much power smaller microwaves consume. Without knowing that, I'm hesitant to recommend an inverter size, but I'd be willing to bet that a 1500 watt inverter - properly wired to a 300 to 400 amp hour battery-bank, would be able to power a small microwave for short periods of time. Maybe someone here who has such a setup, and who knows, will chime in.

Factory installed inverters are usually in the 1000 to 2000 watt range. Ours is 2800 watts - largely because we have a large res-fridge. You can install aftermarket inverters of all sizes, but installing one with higher-than-needed wattage is pointless. Inverters themselves consume power and are not 100% efficient (Ours is rated at 85% efficient.)The higher the wattage, the more power they consume.

We have an 840 AH battery-bank, and while it has no problem powering the inverter and microwave, the lights do dim when the microwave surges. I don't think I'd run the microwave unless my batteries were at 80% or better. It just draws to much power. If/when you install an inverter, place it as close to the battery-bank as possible (but not in the same compartment.) and use 4 AWG wire or better.

Kev

Wow 840 AH...  How cool is that...  I'm at a whopping 90 right now but I'm in the game for good this time and there shall be additional batts..
Speaking of which, for 12V batts, how high in ah are they available or is there a logical or sensible peak we should not go above for each individual battery?

Eventually I'm going to set up a very scaled down mixer and power amp recording studio in my rig..  It is possible to run a studio with headphones only so actually no power amp
just preamps in the mixer and such but that practice is frowned upon in production circles..  Here's my SoundCloud page ::: https://soundcloud.com/morgan-chambers-10

I'll be adding 2 batts to start out for around  300 AH in a TC so that's just for
day to day loving and hanging out..  What do you think of these :::  https://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Vmaxslr125-rechargeable-Solar-Inverters/dp/B00ACNO2AO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1468467324&sr=1-2&keywords=agm+battery

Well, the specs look real good, but I don't know who makes Vmax batteries or where they're made. Ours are Group 31 AGM batteries (105 AH each) and we are very happy with their performance and durability. They're five years old and I've noticed no indications of diminishing performance.

Kev

tanglemoose said:
The only thing hubby WOULD LIKE TO DO is get an inverter to run our TV and directtv receiver for a couple of hours on college game day... any ideas from this group on costs of inverter..?

You don't need anything fancy to run a DirecTv receiver and a flat panel TV.  Verify the power requirements of both and get an inexpensive inverter to run them.

Here's one example from Harbor Freight that I've used for a different application that works well.  Or get the 750 watt version for a few dollars more.

The secret is to mount the inverter within a couple of feet of the battery so the 12 volt cables stay as short as possible, then extend the 120 volts to where you need it.

that one is on sale for only 25.99. It is for 12V batteries and ours are the 6v deep cell ones, thinking you have to get the right one for which ever battery you have. Do you run extension cord from that outlet to your TV's then or what... sounds like a dumb question, but I have had grandkids all week, need a cold beer and am not thinking real straight yet! thanks, everyone!!!

Lou Schneider said:
You don't need anything fancy to run a DirecTv receiver and a flat panel TV.  Verify the power requirements of both and get an inexpensive inverter to run them.

Here's one example from Harbor Freight that I've used for a different application that works well.  Or get the 750 watt version for a few dollars more.

The secret is to mount the inverter within a couple of feet of the battery so the 12 volt cables stay as short as possible, then extend the 120 volts to where you need it.

Tanglemoose...  that's funny because I understand so well...  "I need a cold beer!"  Do yourself a favor..  have a frosty mug waiting when you are ready..  Best things in life!

tanglemoose said:
that one is on sale for only 25.99. It is for 12V batteries and ours are the 6v deep cell ones, thinking you have to get the right one for which ever battery you have. Do you run extension cord from that outlet to your TV's then or what... sounds like a dumb question, but I have had grandkids all week, need a cold beer and am not thinking real straight yet! thanks, everyone!!!

Two six volt batteries in series ARE a 12 volt battery so the inverter will work fine.  And yes, put the inverter next to the batteries and run an extension cord to where you need the power.

Okay, I bought the 400 watt one from Harbor Freight, but then when we went out camping, a fellow camper next to us had an inventer that he just puts in his "cig lighter" hole... Much easier that hooking up to batteries... In our Cougar we have what they call a charging center, it has 2 usb ports and a cig lighter round hole. Just put my old 300 watt inverter in that hole and turned on TV and it worked! But it has a fan and is noisy, have had the thing for 15 years.. surely they are better now??????

I am thinking if I just had an inverter that came with some options to hook up' attaching to battery with clips or cig. lighter gizmo. My question is efficiency.. Is one connection better than other?

I just want to be able to flip the news on TV for 30 minutes maybe in am or pm... maybe not even that long with our news lately!

I am calling go solar power in am and checking on my panel to see if they have idea on watts... and maybe how much their fancy inverter is... I would love to just have everything "installed" and not have to do anything but plug something into an outlet...

Nothing fancy no microwave, hair dryers, nothing but my laptop and TV...

thoughts?

The most efficient way of installing an inverter is to install it somewhere close to the battery-bank using a healthy gauge wire (2 or 4 gauge works well.) If your 15 year old inverter works, you could install it in a compartment, which would help cut down on its noise, but small MSW inverters are pretty cheap these days, so I'd probably invest in a new one. If you're planning to use your solar panel to power the TV, remember - solar is used to recharge your batteries, it doesn't power anything directly.

Kev

I finally did some homework today and I have 160 watts of Go Solar Power... for us, it has been plenty... I am now looking at these two inverters and wondering what your expert opinion is.....

http://gpelectric.com/products/300-watt-modified-sine-wave-inverter
This one is a modified... inexpensive and I would not have to have anything installed. there is cig lighter in the RV on the charging station.  But I am wondering how noisy it is...

http://gpelectric.com/products/300-watt-pure-sine-wave-inverter

This one is a pure sine-wave and would have to be installed as I don't want to mess with my battery every time I set up.

Number one question... what is the big difference between sine and pure sine... in layman's terms... and what would you do IF you were going to do it once!

The one is like 31.00 vs 181.00, but I want to just run the flat panel TV and the Direct TV receiver...

thanks!

The modified sine is a square wave and costs the least.  The pure sine is just like you get in your home and is a sine wave.  I have for the past 15 years used a modified sine inverter with no problems.  Some people have reported that "sensitive" electronics have problems with the modified sine inverter.  A pure sine ($$) is just like your home power and will avoid any such problem.  I recently converted to a pure sine because I had money to burn and I wanted to keep up with the Jones. 
The wiring for either though should be the same though.  ?? This one is a pure sine-wave and would have to be installed as I don't want to mess with my battery every time I set up.  ?? 

Back
Top Bottom